Is There A General Fault With Stop Bar Bridges?
Kevin98497
Feb 5 2008, 11:29 PM
GMC:er
the E string on both of my guitars with the stop bar bridge keep snapping for no reason!! (bridge like the ones on les pauls) one is fender and one is epiphone, and maybe the epiphone is cheaper maybe badly made, but there aint no reason why the ender one should be badly made...

so every 2 weeks or so, the high e string snaps just randomly when i am casually bending mm string! it always snaps at the the second bit where u adjust intonation

any suggestion on how to stop that from happening? coz i tend to bend alot and not taking much care when i am in the "zone"

sad.gif sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
blindwillie
Feb 6 2008, 08:54 AM
Clean the grooves the string rests in.
Thicker strings and another brand maybe?
Take care when you're in the zone biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Feb 6 2008, 01:04 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Feb 6 2008, 07:54 AM) *
Clean the grooves the string rests in.
Thicker strings and another brand maybe?
Take care when you're in the zone biggrin.gif

Agreed. It's not likely to be how/where the strings are held. It's either how the string is being handled or it's the rubbing points on the string.

It makes me want to say it's your handling since both guitars are doing it but it might not be. If you're playing a lot in the two weeks before the break, you might just be wearing them out.

Those bridge saddles are where the string is most likely to break since they're stretched over a pretty thin edge there. They're rubbing back and forth at that point when you're bending too. It might be that they're rough too, and that's something to look at.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 6 2008, 01:06 PM
Lots of people are very rough when playing and I am one of them. I advise you to change strings. What strings do you currently use? I used to snap strings all the time but I changed strings and I never snap a string now.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Feb 6 2008, 04:27 PM
I agree with Scott, you might just be wearing them out, but try gently sanding the grooves.
I too, bend very roughly, and I don't think I should take care when I'm in the zone. I've never broken a single string on any of my guitars, I think it's because I try to change the strings every two weeks, and I take great care when I do change the strings to make sure I change them properly. But I have broken strings twice before, both of the times they were on my friends guitars, he changes strings like every 2 months, they are always rusty, and he swears by Elixers.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 6 2008, 07:44 PM
On my guitar last week I snapped the low E, A and D strings, it's a Paul, just crappy strings though.

I shall investigate further, see if I can snap more laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Feb 7 2008, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 6 2008, 12:06 PM) *
Lots of people are very rough when playing and I am one of them. I advise you to change strings. What strings do you currently use? I used to snap strings all the time but I changed strings and I never snap a string now.

i use regular slinky and hybrid slinky made by ernie ball. just get them coz they are quite common brand and stuff, no particular reason :S is there a good strong set of strings that you would suggest? i dont believe i string my guitars funny, where it snaps is where it doesnt really matter unless there is a exact angle the string needs to be rotated

QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 6 2008, 06:44 PM) *
On my guitar last week I snapped the low E, A and D strings, it's a Paul, just crappy strings though.

I shall investigate further, see if I can snap more laugh.gif

lol you go and do that tongue.gif let me know which ones are inferior lol

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:48 AM