Neil Young, Not really a lesson request but...
Scott Gentzen
Apr 23 2007, 02:19 AM
GMC:er
...more of an answer quest.

When I talk of Neil Young here, I mean the elecreic Neil Young not the acoustic Neil Young. Particularly on stuff like Weld and similar.

When he plays, it all sounds so wrong, but somehow it works out anyway. Especially in the solos. Anyone want to explain what's going on there theory-wise? Is he just playing in the wrong scales for the mode the song is in or is it something else?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 24 2007, 04:17 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Apr 22 2007, 05:19 PM) *
...more of an answer quest.

When I talk of Neil Young here, I mean the elecreic Neil Young not the acoustic Neil Young. Particularly on stuff like Weld and similar.

When he plays, it all sounds so wrong, but somehow it works out anyway. Especially in the solos. Anyone want to explain what's going on there theory-wise? Is he just playing in the wrong scales for the mode the song is in or is it something else?

great question! But for some reason it's easily understood w/ me since that's kind of similiar of how I used to play. Not saying I'm as good as him but.... yea! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 1 2007, 01:37 AM
GMC Founder
I don't have a clue - I'd like to know too, though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 1 2007, 02:25 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 30 2007, 07:37 PM) *
I don't have a clue - I'd like to know too, though!

Same thing has gone though my mind. Good example is "Like a Hurricane", probably from Live Rust. I think it is not just one thing, it is a combination of things. I think if I just learn that song, I will understand a lot better. Think I will do that. He had some nice acoustic stuff also.

There might be a bit of a Bob Dylan influence in his singing. Not sure about that. But he does the off key stuff, different from Dylan, but still the off key stuff. Kind of like Dylan, only first drinking a half pint of Scotch, and turning on a Telecaster with a lot of distortion.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:40 PM