Learn More Advanced Jazzfusion
ElHombre
Apr 11 2013, 12:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello

I play a lot of fusion its one of my favorite styles. But I need to get more knowledge about it and not just jam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ_CyyhCLJs

Just check that out tongue.gif
Anyone knows a book website or anything that can be good to learn better to play in changes and stuff?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 11 2013, 12:45 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You might want to check out Andre Nieri fusion lessons, some tasty stuff in there with explanations on scales/chords used.

Rock Fusion Solo - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rock-Fusion-Solo/
Melodic Minor Modes - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Melodic-Minor-Modes/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 11 2013, 12:48 PM
Theory Instructor
Hey

You can check out the Jazz Fusion videos here on the site, some great stuff that can help you out.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/jazz+fusion/

As well if you're looking for exercises on outlining changes, check out interval patterns such as:

And enclosures such as:

b2-7-1
4-b3-3
b6-#4-5
8-b7-7

That sort of thing.

Also, working arpeggios to the 9th over chord changes is very helpful, as well as taking the root out and running arpeggios that use the 3, 5,7 and 9 of the underlying chord.

So like on Sunny, if you have Am7, Gm7-C7, Fmaj7

Try soloing using Cmaj7 over Am7, Bbmaj7 over Gm7, Em7b5 over C7 and Am7 over Fmaj7

Also some articles I've written on getting a Holdsworth sound in your playing if you're interested.

http://www.guitarworld.com/jazz-guitar-cor...e-string-scales

http://www.jazzguitarlessons.net/the-post-...vocabulary.html

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/modernize...rth-bebop-scale

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/how-to-pl...llan-holdsworth

Cheers!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Apr 11 2013, 01:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good answers, thanks smile.gif
Lot of theory work to do for me in this matter so thanks for that answer Matt

My problem is that I dont really know where to begin since there is so much to learn

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 11 2013, 01:39 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Apr 11 2013, 01:34 PM) *
Good answers, thanks smile.gif
Lot of theory work to do for me in this matter so thanks for that answer Matt

My problem is that I dont really know where to begin since there is so much to learn

Try starting with just a tune and a concept and focus on 1 thing at a time. So, try starting with the Holdsworth 4-note per string scales, and maybe 1 legato pattern. Work that in your practice and then solo over Sunny using only those scales and legato pattern as the basis for your lines over that tune.

When you are comfortable with that, then you can add a second concept, then a 3rd etc. When you get 3-4 down over Sunny, move to another tune, so that you are learning concepts, but immediately applying them to your soloing and learning tunes at the same time.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2013, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Excellent feedback Professor! Is there a list with the most important concepts to work if you want to master jazz fusion? You said, starting with one concept, then other, maybe having a cool list could be helpful to use it as a program.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 11 2013, 02:15 PM
Theory Instructor
That's a tough one as it depends on where someone is starting and what they've already covered in their development.

Some ideas that are essential to getting a jazz fusion sound though as a list are.

1. Side Stepping - Playing Am7-Bbm7-Am7 over Am7

2. Tritone Stepping - Playing Am7-Ebm7-Am7 over Am7

3. 3 and 4 Note Per String Scales

4. Adding chromatic passing notes to scales, especially mixing b3, b5 and 7 over 7th chords, and b5 and 7 over m7 chords

5. Triad Pairs - Playing C and D over C7 for example

6. Altered Pentatonic Scales - Playing 7b9 Pents for example over 7th chords

7. Modes of Melodic Minor - Using these modes as a first choice sound rather than major modes

8. Extended Arpeggios to 9th, 11th and 13th over any chord

9. Legato Techniques ala Holdsworth

10. Chromatic chords such as Am7-Bbm7-Bm7 all over Am7

That is a good place to start if you want a checklist to see what you can do and what you should check out, in no particular order.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2013, 02:35 PM
Instructor
Fantastic mate! I think that this list is very useful for every guitar player that wants to get into the fusion world.
Thanks!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Apr 11 2013, 02:35 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 11 2013, 02:38 PM
GMC:er
I would add ...
'start listening to actual JAZZ music' ... as that's where all those improv concepts come from.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 11 2013, 02:39 PM

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 11 2013, 02:40 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 11 2013, 02:35 PM) *
Fantastic mate! I think that this list is very useful for every guitar player that wants to get into the fusion world.
Thanks!

NP hope folks find it helpful

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2013, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 11 2013, 10:38 AM) *
I would add ...
'start listening to actual JAZZ music' ... as that's where all those improv concepts come from.

Good addition! Going to the roots and influences of the artist that we like is the best way to understand them and be able to analyse their playing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Apr 11 2013, 03:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
Very good list I am just confused about step 1 and 2.
You are going to play Am7-Bbm7-Am7 over the Am 7 chord? didnt get that one tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 11 2013, 03:22 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Apr 11 2013, 03:20 PM) *
Very good list I am just confused about step 1 and 2.
You are going to play Am7-Bbm7-Am7 over the Am 7 chord? didnt get that one tongue.gif

yeah, that is called Side Stepping. If you have one chord, say Am7, you move your lines between Am7-Bbm7 and back to resolve to Am7.

So you could play a motive on Am7, repeat the same thing up a half-step, and then resolve it back to Am7 when finishing the line. It is a great way to create some outside tension and then resolution in your lines when soloing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 12 2013, 03:33 AM
GMC:er
Matt had a really great lick example and 'challenge' here ... https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47466

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:42 PM