Eventide Pitchfactor Or Digitech Hm2?
fkalich
Jun 30 2010, 08:54 PM
GMC:er
This question is semi rhetorical, I expect that I know what the answer will be, but.....

I have wanted a harmonizer for some time. Actually I have one, works quite well for the price, Zoom makes a decent one on all it's current multi devices, tracks well, with expression pedal. But I want something a bit better.

I might be satisfied with the HarmonyMan, except that it does not allow an expression pedal, which I consider a huge defect (I use it for the wet/dry mix). I realize one can buy a pedal for about $100 for that, but that is $100. I think it is a decent harmonizer.

However I am thinking what the heck, the Eventide Pitchfactor. It also has 9 other effects. I have never seen a demo of this used in a way that I was impressed with, but I think it really can be something.

Now I am a shopper, I got some price matches over the weekend on both from American Musical that last for 5 days. I like AmericanMusical because they double the warranty period. And now they have a sale, so I get more off. The HarmonyMan would cost me $210 , the Eventide $405, both with 2 years full warranty, no tax or shipping. I have an expression pedal, and a double momentary switch already for the eventide (the switch plug in lets you have access to 6 patches immediately)

I am thinking, the Eventide is so cool, just get it, spend twice as much, but be really satisfied. Any thoughts? Tony?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 1 2010, 09:41 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I haven't got direct experience of either pedals but I do have an Eventide Eclipse harmoniser. Eventide IMHO are about the best pro end delay/reverb/harmoniser effects available when judged overall for quality of the effect, build, connectivity and programing. I would imagine that the Pitchfactor takes most/all of its patches from either the Eclipse or the H3000 - both of which are pro end industry standards and in use in a lot of pro studios and racks. I doubt that you'll find better harmoniser patches anywhere than those on the Eclipse/H3000.

The one downside with Eventide tends to be the programing. On the positive side Eventide stuff tend to offer a lot of programability that goes very deep and offers a lot of control and variation (which for me is a +). However this may come at a cost - it can take time to get used to and learn how to program and build your own patches, and; both the H3000 and Eclipse take a few seconds while switching patches - not a problem at home or in a studio but could be if you use them live. I think Eventide are supposed to be doing a new OS algorhythm that should however speed that up for the Eclipse and it may not be an issue on the Pitchfactor as that is based on a newer OS anyway.

With Zoom, rightly or wrongly I see it more in the Line6/Digitech/Boss end of the market. It's a long time ago though that I looked at one - a multifx but I can't remember which. It was not in the same class as Eventide either in terms of build quality (which I remember as awful) or patch quality (which was so-so) but TBH I don't think it was trying to be. It was more aimed at the 'value for money'/zillions of effects for your buck market. Didn't buy it as it wasn't of the quality we were after at the time - got a Roland mfx instead.

Assuming that the above still holds true I'd say that it comes down to whether you want 'value for money' or quality. If it's the first Zoom; the second Eventide. Personally I'd go with the Eventide if I wanted a harmoniser.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 1 2010, 08:43 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 1 2010, 03:41 AM) *
With Zoom, rightly or wrongly I see it more in the Line6/Digitech/Boss end of the market. It's a long time ago though that I looked at one - a multifx but I can't remember which. It was not in the same class as Eventide either in terms of build quality (which I remember as awful) or patch quality (which was so-so) but TBH I don't think it was trying to be. It was more aimed at the 'value for money'/zillions of effects for your buck market. Didn't buy it as it wasn't of the quality we were after at the time - got a Roland mfx instead.

Assuming that the above still holds true I'd say that it comes down to whether you want 'value for money' or quality. If it's the first Zoom; the second Eventide. Personally I'd go with the Eventide if I wanted a harmoniser.

Thanks Tony. You were helpful. Regarding Zoom, I was not clear, I have their G1N now, with an external expression pedal. They really have improved, it is good for just convenient practicing, I use it with my little amp. The line they came out with a few years ago is pretty decent for the money, and they just improved it. But I know it is what it is.

I meant that Digitech has a Harmonizer called the Harmony Man. It looks ok, but clearly nothing like the Eventide. The eventide has 10 effects, and the eventide harmonizer allows a lot more flexibility, particularly putting delay on the harmony voices. Without that, I think the Digitech Harmony Man sounds a bit fake/mechanical.

I have to decide today to get the good price, I figure pay the extra and get what I will really like, if I am going to get it. But thanks you helped.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 1 2010, 09:58 PM

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Jul 1 2010, 09:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You should definitely check the Electro Harmonix POG2 out. smile.gif

http://www.ehx.com/products/pog2

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 5 2010, 02:18 AM
Instructor
If you are checking out Pitchfactor, you might want to an A/B comparison with EHX HOG. It's a great player's device, and although it's different than pitch factor, it has lots to offer.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:17 AM