2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Song, Lunar Eclipse, Feedback welcome!
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2016, 03:18 PM
Learning Rock Star

EDIT: Better mix below.

Just finished doing a somewhat okay recording of this song. Might try my luck with a playthrough video soon. For now it's just a picture of a lunar eclipse though.

Let me know what you think. Feedback is more than welcome!

On a related note, I have no idea how to mix and produce to get a good sound, so any tips on that are welcome as well.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 24 2016, 02:25 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 23 2016, 04:12 PM
Learning Tone Master
Your song sounds really awesome smile.gif

As an idea but this is more for my personal taste, I think it would be much better if you will replace that synth sound (0:46,1:25, etc) with another type of synth more similar with Jordan Rudess style. Somehow your synth sound reminds me of the very old games like Dyna Blaster(aka Bomberman) or Pacman biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2016, 04:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 23 2016, 04:12 PM) *
Your song sounds really awesome smile.gif

As an idea but this is more for my personal taste, I think it would be much better if you will replace that synth sound (0:46,1:25, etc) with another type of synth more similar with Jordan Rudess style. Somehow your synth sound reminds me of the very old games like Dyna Blaster(aka Bomberman) or Pacman biggrin.gif

Thanks, Monica smile.gif

I'll try and look for another sound, I've been struggling to find one I like, and this was the closest I could get to one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 23 2016, 06:39 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Man, that was really cool, Ben! You got a lot going on in your head, keep bringing it out. I do have to agree with Monica on the synth patch though. You can do better. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2016, 06:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm not a big fan of Rudess to be honest, more of a Kevin Moore fan, but I haven't been able to find a sound close to his. I'll try some more smile.gif

Thanks, Rich!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Feb 23 2016, 06:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes Great !!!

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2016, 11:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's an attempt at a better mix, though I've done this with headphones, so it could be well off the mark. Keyboard sound is still the same though. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 24 2016, 01:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 24 2016, 08:00 AM
GMC:er
I"m more of a "Groove detector" than a "pick apart the mix guy" so I think it's pretty darn spiff as the groove is there smile.gif The rest is knob tweaking. I'd rather have a song that catches my ear that has a couple of productions quirks than an Andy Sneap production that leaves me cold. In short well done man smile.gif keep it up!! That new axe seems to have inspired you!!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 23 2016, 05:03 PM) *
Here's an attempt at a better mix, though I've done this with headphones, so it could be well off the mark. Keyboard sound is still the same though. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 24 2016, 10:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 24 2016, 08:00 AM) *
I"m more of a "Groove detector" than a "pick apart the mix guy" so I think it's pretty darn spiff as the groove is there smile.gif The rest is knob tweaking. I'd rather have a song that catches my ear that has a couple of productions quirks than an Andy Sneap production that leaves me cold. In short well done man smile.gif keep it up!! That new axe seems to have inspired you!!

Thanks, Todd! It's a great compliment to hear that it's groovy, as it has A LOT of different time signatures and barely any 4/4. laugh.gif If the odd time signatures sound groovy that means I've done something right smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 24 2016, 10:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 24 2016, 03:40 PM
Instructor
Great job mate! I've been following your composition works in the last year and I've always said that you are very talented. This one should be just a first big step!

I think that this is a good song and that the mix sounds balanced. I don't think you need to continue experimenting with the mix of this one, it's time to move forward to the next song. The more songs you work there better everything will get, both composing, arranging and mixing.

Keep on rocking.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 25 2016, 05:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
I couldn't resist playing with the mix again, as I had a 1 on 1 session ish earlier with a guy who knows a few things about mixing, and I was taught a few things, which I took home and tried out. I think it's the best mix so far:

https://benjamin-storm.bandcamp.com/releases

What do you guys reckon?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2016, 06:41 AM
Sounds more open and it works on more systems it seems, from laptop speakers to real monitors so hats off to that smile.gif Are you pulling a dream theatre and doubling the guitar with the bass btw? I can hear it in parts but not in others?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 25 2016, 11:12 AM) *
I couldn't resist playing with the mix again, as I had a 1 on 1 session ish earlier with a guy who knows a few things about mixing, and I was taught a few things, which I took home and tried out. I think it's the best mix so far:

https://benjamin-storm.bandcamp.com/releases

What do you guys reckon?

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Feb 26 2016, 09:55 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Congratulations!!! Really musical Awesome prog!

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Feb 26 2016, 11:11 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi mate,

I just listened to this awesome composition. Very psychedelic ! I love it ! It takes a lot of talent to make a song with different time signatures and very active phrases on very active drumparts and .... get away with it. Very nice job!! The few piano breaks cut the song nicely and get the listener ready for the next part; I totaly agree that there are better synth sounds that would make this song sound even better. You can shure find them. The guitar parts are nicely tight and very groovy.

About mixing .... man, that's a never ending story. Gabriël is so right when he says that you shouldn't waste too much time on mixing and go on to the next song. You need to do mixing a lot (and study some...) to get better at it. Good monitors are essential here. You can find many mixing tutorials on You Tube. If you want a book, here's a good one : "Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio" from Mike Senior. You can buy this on internet.

Good luck!!

Nico

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 26 2016, 11:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 26 2016, 06:41 AM) *
Sounds more open and it works on more systems it seems, from laptop speakers to real monitors so hats off to that smile.gif Are you pulling a dream theatre and doubling the guitar with the bass btw? I can hear it in parts but not in others?

I have doubled the guitar with the bass in some parts, yeah. I'm not great at writing bass, so in some sections I just go: "hey, let's just play the same as the guitar"

And as for the mix, I'm glad to hear that it now works on more systems. That was my intention smile.gif

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Feb 26 2016, 09:55 AM) *
Congratulations!!! Really musical Awesome prog!

Thanks, George!

QUOTE (nikeman64 @ Feb 26 2016, 11:11 AM) *
Hi mate,

I just listened to this awesome composition. Very psychedelic ! I love it ! It takes a lot of talent to make a song with different time signatures and very active phrases on very active drumparts and .... get away with it. Very nice job!! The few piano breaks cut the song nicely and get the listener ready for the next part; I totaly agree that there are better synth sounds that would make this song sound even better. You can shure find them. The guitar parts are nicely tight and very groovy.

About mixing .... man, that's a never ending story. Gabriël is so right when he says that you shouldn't waste too much time on mixing and go on to the next song. You need to do mixing a lot (and study some...) to get better at it. Good monitors are essential here. You can find many mixing tutorials on You Tube. If you want a book, here's a good one : "Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio" from Mike Senior. You can buy this on internet.

Good luck!!

Nico

Thanks for the comment, Nico smile.gif I'll see what I can do about the synth, now several people has mentioned it, and even though I like it, I guess that means that I need to have a second look at it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 26 2016, 02:03 PM
Great composition Ben!!!
The mix is getting better and better too!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 26 2016, 03:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 26 2016, 02:03 PM) *
Great composition Ben!!!
The mix is getting better and better too!!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks, Jones!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Feb 26 2016, 03:53 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I like it! It's prog, but it's enjoyable to listen to. If I could make one suggestion: the synth parts sound somewhat old fashioned or cheesy compared to the guitar parts. If you could make them not quite so simple and use more modern sounds, it would make a big difference IMHO.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 26 2016, 05:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Rammikin!

I must admit that I quite like the synth sound I found and used, but quite a few people have mentioned it now. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 27 2016, 06:39 AM
I thought it sounded kind of "Jordan Rudess" so the synth worked for me smile.gif What didn't you like about it? Did you want it more orchestral and less synth?

[I thoquote name='Caelumamittendum' date='Feb 26 2016, 11:44 AM' post='727910']
Thanks, Rammikin!

I must admit that I quite like the synth sound I found and used, but quite a few people have mentioned it now. smile.gif
[/quote]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:28 AM