Best Cab/ir Loader Pedal?
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2019, 05:08 AM
GMC:er
Mertay got me thinking about CAB/IR Pedals in one of our threads so I went looking for a nice one that wasn't crazy price. I ended up at the HOTONE OMNI IR. I already tried out the HOTON CAB IR and I liked it. So I thought I'd trade up and try this one. These have a street price of $200 but I am guessing about half that on the used market once they trickle down. This one has 24 bit audio and other features that folks seem to like. I"m curious to see how it compares to the CAB IR. Video to follow. Almost got the MOOER cab/ir loader pedal, but already like the Hotone.

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 14 2019, 07:37 AM
As mentioned in that topic, Nux as brand is really getting my attention. Not pretty but spec.s are cool;

http://www.nuxefx.com/show-7-277-1.html

Aside technical stuff, I think a poweramp sim. is becoming a must with these type of pedals. I was offered a CabdryVR (https://digitech.com/en/products/cabdryvr) for a good price from a friend of mine but not having a poweramp sim. made me pass. These emu's make the sound rich/warmer, also for extreme shred stuff they add a compression thats helpful in some ways.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2019, 07:28 PM
I'm thinking more builders are going to add a power amp section as time goes on. It's mostly a EQ/Compression section which is always a good thing smile.gif

The OMNI from hotone has a software editor which is very important to me. I really didn't like having to edit patches using the little knobs/screen on the last one. Tone was great, but editing was a bit of a pain in the neck. I think builders will start adding software editors as well. At least I hope smile.gif
Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 14 2019, 02:37 AM) *
As mentioned in that topic, Nux as brand is really getting my attention. Not pretty but spec.s are cool;

http://www.nuxefx.com/show-7-277-1.html

Aside technical stuff, I think a poweramp sim. is becoming a must with these type of pedals. I was offered a CabdryVR (https://digitech.com/en/products/cabdryvr) for a good price from a friend of mine but not having a poweramp sim. made me pass. These emu's make the sound rich/warmer, also for extreme shred stuff they add a compression thats helpful in some ways.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 15 2019, 12:26 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 14 2019, 06:28 PM) *
It's mostly a EQ/Compression section which is always a good thing smile.gif

You mean that for poweramp sim.s? its actually a clipping/saturation section, only the presence knob is coded with eq. As we moved from eq based cab. sim.'s to ir's, the poweramp sim.s is/will be the next step.

This is obviously an affordable option, but still you'll hear the influence isn't really like eq and actually responds to pick attack;

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 15 2019, 06:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 16 2019, 05:14 AM
I'm with ya smile.gif it's got a clipping/drive bit in the power section. It's a pretty subtle difference on the video demo you shared. I agree power amp sims will make their way in to pedals/cab sims. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference though in tone. Like it says in the vid, it's more about "feel".
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 15 2019, 07:26 AM) *
You mean that for poweramp sim.s? its actually a clipping/saturation section, only the presence knob is coded with eq. As we moved from eq based cab. sim.'s to ir's, the poweramp sim.s is/will be the next step.

This is obviously an affordable option, but still you'll hear the influence isn't really like eq and actually responds to pick attack;

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 16 2019, 09:08 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 16 2019, 04:14 AM) *
I'm with ya smile.gif it's got a clipping/drive bit in the power section. It's a pretty subtle difference on the video demo you shared. I agree power amp sims will make their way in to pedals/cab sims. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference though in tone. Like it says in the vid, it's more about "feel".

Agreed, but once started using and getting used to it becomes something one doesn't want to disengage.

We're already used to it from processors but unfortunately most doesn't give the option to tweak/bypass and let us judge what its doing for us. I'm sure you'll appreciate specially when soloing over a backing track its also a cool help to get the tone both cut and sit in the mix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 16 2019, 06:08 PM
As dsp gets cheaper, we might even see a stand alone power amp section pedal just like we are seeing IR pedals. Then again, it might just get slotted in a pedal like the NUX!
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 16 2019, 04:08 AM) *
Agreed, but once started using and getting used to it becomes something one doesn't want to disengage.

We're already used to it from processors but unfortunately most doesn't give the option to tweak/bypass and let us judge what its doing for us. I'm sure you'll appreciate specially when soloing over a backing track its also a cool help to get the tone both cut and sit in the mix.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 16 2019, 06:39 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 16 2019, 05:08 PM) *
As dsp gets cheaper, we might even see a stand alone power amp section pedal just like we are seeing IR pedals. Then again, it might just get slotted in a pedal like the NUX!

Yeah, but combining into one does make sense when you think about the usage scenario's. I'd be interested if they might also make it analog too but it would require very high headroom.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 16 2019, 06:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2019, 04:00 AM
Combining doesnt make sense? The one you shared is combined remember? The nux? has IR and Power Section? Seems like it works in the nux? I was saying it will probably show up in other devices as well as time goes on.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 16 2019, 01:39 PM) *
Yeah, but combining into one does make sense when you think about the usage scenario's. I'd be interested if they might also make it analog too but it would require very high headroom.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 18 2019, 11:46 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 18 2019, 03:00 AM) *
Combining doesnt make sense? The one you shared is combined remember? The nux? has IR and Power Section? Seems like it works in the nux? I was saying it will probably show up in other devices as well as time goes on.

I wrote "does" smile.gif separating them seems less useful, I mean these emu.s can also be used with synth.s to warm the sound etc. .

They are harder to code though cause have to work with a distorted signal unlike preamp emu.s, so current emulations doesn't color as analog yet. Best I've heard till now are the Mercurial stuff, specially the Marshall plug-in.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 18 2019, 01:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 19 2019, 02:31 AM
I'm with ya! Probably me reading to fast smile.gif I do like how you can now change the power section tubes in THU just like I used to do in BIAS. It seems like they are incorporating new bits from other platforms. The full rig thing is also something bias did first. It's a similar idea, where they sample an entire rig and save it as a file.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 18 2019, 06:46 AM) *
I wrote "does" smile.gif separating them seems less useful, I mean these emu.s can also be used with synth.s to warm the sound etc. .

They are harder to code though cause have to work with a distorted signal unlike preamp emu.s, so current emulations doesn't color as analog yet. Best I've heard till now are the Mercurial stuff, specially the Marshall plug-in.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:32 PM