Opeth, Help me out
Enucleation
Jan 6 2009, 01:30 PM
GMC:er
It seems everyone who likes Opeth REALLY LIKES Opeth. The thing is... I just can't see whats so great about them, maybe I'm just listening to the wrong songs or something, actually right now the video to Burden is on the tv to my right and the keyboard solo was cool but other than that it just sounds...maybe "plain" is the word I'm looking for.

Every song Ive heard is a ballad and one that I just can't get into so if anyone can give me some links to something that might get me into the band then fire away.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jan 6 2009, 01:45 PM
I love burden, but I agree that it sounds a bit "plain". What I love mosgt about them is that somehow their riffs feel alive, always moving in some direction, something that VERY FEW bands manage to make me feel. So I'm gonna link some songs with great metal riffing, while I love their ballads, it was their metal riffs that got me hooked. It's not that same old boring galloping with a few powerchords thrown in here and there.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 6 2009, 02:18 PM
For me its 3 things.

1. Sound. Nobody sounds like they do. The notes/chords they choose are just "different". Its not more of the same. Its FRIGGIN HUGE!!!! Their sound is enormous. You just cant ignore it.

2. Akerfeldts vocals. Especially the clean ones. Very nice. Full of emotion and character. His voice really grabs me. The guy is one helluva singer. The growling stuff is secondary to his clean voice in my opinion.

3. Epic songs that have power/emotion and captivate. I cant listen to Opeth as background music. Its too hard to ignore.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 6 2009, 08:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
What I really love about Opeth: they don't rush things. It doesen't seem to mind them that their songs last for a good 10 minutes, as long as they get everything they want to get said in there ^^

I agree with Jer: The clean vocals are just epic. He's a great growler as well, but it's like.. If James LaBrie from Dream Theater suddenly started to growl (knock on wood).. It just wouldn't compare to his clean voice tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 6 2009, 08:52 PM
Its tough to explain.

Their tunes just have more to them. Each one just breathes hugeness.

You listen to a lot of bands and say, "I'm gonna sit down and play some of this on guitar."

You cant do that with Opeth.

Its not "Guitar Music" Its far bigger than any one part.

Its just big.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 6 2009, 08:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 6 2009, 08:52 PM) *
Its just big.

It's alive ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jan 6 2009, 09:04 PM
Can't agree about the clean vocals thing. He's a good singer, I love his voice, but it was never anything very special, at least not untill watershed. His growls on the other hand are unmatched, there is not a single death metal vocalist in the world that I prefer over him. (David Vincent and Jörgen Sandrström are close, but still not quite as good). Sure I can always listen to bloodbath if I desperately need to hear him growl, especially since his growls sound even better there, but no, opeth would not be opeth if he only sang with his clean voice. But on the other hand, if they didn't surprise me all the time, they wouldn't be opeth either, so it would be very opeth to stop growling. Ok sorry, I lost myself there, but you get it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 6 2009, 09:32 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
It's the atmosphere they create, there stories on the concept album, The riffs, the monstrous tones, everything. The guitar playing is unlike any other band out there, period. Mikael has an absolute amazing talent for singing, His clean vocals are beautiful, and his growls are simply unrivaled, No one comes close (for me at least). And on top of that, the solo's are stunningly beautiful, Mikale has one of the most verbal and expressive vibratos ive ever heard.

I could go on forevery, But one thing I think that is overlooked about Opeth is the lyrics, At least with the other Opeth fans I know. Read some and maybe it will start the roll down the hill.

In the meantime, I offer this.

That is most certainly no ballad smile.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jan 6 2009, 10:05 PM
I've been pulling away from Opeth day after day. They just don't interest me anymore, so I'm kind of with you when it comes to not seeing what's so great about them. The album Orchid sometimes get's played, and its always nice, but I find there songs to be just utter pretentious. Long songs + acoustic interludes = boring to me.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Jan 6 2009, 10:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 6 2009, 03:32 PM) *
It's the atmosphere they create, there stories on the concept album, The riffs, the monstrous tones, everything. The guitar playing is unlike any other band out there, period. Mikael has an absolute amazing talent for singing, His clean vocals are beautiful, and his growls are simply unrivaled, No one comes close (for me at least). And on top of that, the solo's are stunningly beautiful, Mikale has one of the most verbal and expressive vibratos ive ever heard.

I could go on forevery, But one thing I think that is overlooked about Opeth is the lyrics, At least with the other Opeth fans I know. Read some and maybe it will start the roll down the hill.

Yep.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 14 2009, 03:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 6 2009, 03:18 PM) *
For me its 3 things.

1. Sound. Nobody sounds like they do. The notes/chords they choose are just "different". Its not more of the same. Its FRIGGIN HUGE!!!! Their sound is enormous. You just cant ignore it.

2. Akerfeldts vocals. Especially the clean ones. Very nice. Full of emotion and character. His voice really grabs me. The guy is one helluva singer. The growling stuff is secondary to his clean voice in my opinion.

3. Epic songs that have power/emotion and captivate. I cant listen to Opeth as background music. Its too hard to ignore.

+1, I can't even read when Opeth is playing in the background cause then I can't focus on anything except the music biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Jan 16 2009, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 6 2009, 03:32 PM) *

Master's Apprentices. Good Choice wink.gif

And I agree. Opeth really sound like no other band (Well maybe a couple...a little). The atmosphere, riffs, etc. all sound great and that's probably why people love them so much.

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:36 PM