2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Playing Without Mistakes
klasaine
Dec 11 2019, 03:57 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 11 2019, 12:55 AM) *
But how can you work on playing cleaner unless you are totally focused? Playing cleanly means perfect coordination and execution. When I try to improve my cleanliness I practice in small increments at a very low tempo, and after 5-10 minutes I get exhausted because of the brain effort needed.

I don't know, everybody's different.
I certainly still hear and listen to myself if I'm doing it front of the TV. Like I said, it's usually just a fret hand shift or a string skip (usually pick hand) that I need to get up to a certain tempo. Something that benefits from pure repetition.

There are different consciousness levels as well. When I practice with guitar in hand while watching a mystery show, that 'distraction' of the conscious mind somehow doesn't hinder my subconscious from knowing what I'm doing. even if it's just a feel thing - I know when I'm doing it wrong and I adjust.
I don't know, like driving and having a conversation with a passenger or thinking about something else or being totally engulfed in cranked up music. I usually get to where I need to go with little incident. Many times I don't even remember the trip.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 12 2019, 01:35 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SeveredSurvival
Dec 12 2019, 04:46 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 11 2019, 05:30 AM) *
In your OP you mention effortless mastery. You also mention in your last post the Greg Howe 'Sunny' solo.
That's a totally improvised solo. He wouldn't play it the same way twice. Some of the same licks maybe but not the overall approach and arc. If you really want to play a bit like that and not stumble- the effortless mastery part - you need to know why he plays what he plays. Work on that.

do you phrase it that way in reference to the book by Kenny Werner? thanks for reminding me of that... many people in school read it and I attempted to once but it was a little too heady at the time, I'm going to pick that up. But yea that's exactly it. To not stumble while improvising at a high level while still remaining present enough to tell a story.

I do know that's all improvised by Greg Howe haha, yeah having that much stuff under his belt is part of what makes him a master for sure.. but even to play through a complicated transcription like that without making a mistake is surely a part of that same effortless mastery, right?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SeveredSurvival: Dec 12 2019, 04:47 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 12 2019, 07:56 AM
QUOTE (SeveredSurvival @ Dec 11 2019, 08:46 PM) *
but even to play through a complicated transcription like that without making a mistake is surely a part of that same effortless mastery, right?

Your effort but someone elses mastery.

Transcribing is only useful if you can take it all apart and then put it back together in a way that isn't reminiscent of who you got it from or what it was before. Can you take all those licks and lines that follow the chord changes over Sunny and play them in some fashion over a blues in D?
That's "your" mastery.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 12 2019, 09:40 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 12 2019, 06:56 AM) *
Can you take all those licks and lines that follow the chord changes over Sunny and play them in some fashion over a blues in D?
That's "your" mastery.

That is my aim and my struggle, I struggle to improvise following the chords never mind making something fit over something else. I can improv ok over a chord progression if I stay in one position but following the chords is a whole other level.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 12 2019, 10:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 12 2019, 09:40 AM) *
That is my aim and my struggle, I struggle to improvise following the chords never mind making something fit over something else. I can improv ok over a chord progression if I stay in one position but following the chords is a whole other level.
IMO Improving has always been , something I have already learned just played in a different order.. until I learned my first double stop , I never improvised it so now that I have learned it I can play it when I want to.. Thiscomes with spending enough time to learn

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2019, 01:55 AM
I"m sorta the same way. For things that just need lots of looping, I can watch a familiar movie and still pay enough attention to know if I flub a bit. If I'm playing a new sweep that I can barely play, I need a quiet room to be sure. For most things, I don't require that level of attention it seems. I'm able to play with precision and speed at a nearly subconscious level.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 11 2019, 10:57 AM) *
I don't know, everybody's different.
I certainly still hear and listen to myself if I'm doing it front of the TV. Like I said, it's usually just a fret hand shift or a string skip (usually pick hand) that I need to get up to a certain tempo. Something that benefits from pure repetition.

There are different consciousness levels as well. When I practice with guitar in hand while watching a mystery show, that 'distraction' of the conscious mind somehow doesn't hinder my subconscious from knowing what I'm doing. even if it's just a feel thing - I know when I'm doing it wrong and I adjust.
I don't know, like driving and having a conversation with a passenger or thinking about something else or being totally engulfed in cranked up music. I usually get to where I need to go with little incident. Many times I don't even remember the trip.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:11 PM