Epiphone Valve Junior!
Zephyr
Jan 11 2008, 05:24 AM
GMC:er
So, I've recently run across this little guy, and I'm very interested! It's a 5 watt tube head, with 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs. This sounds very nice, as I typically don't play very loud, even 5 watts could be pushing it for me, if it's all the way up!

I've been very interested in tube amps lately, and I figure that this is a good start. I realize it won't be anything amazing, but it is a tube amp, and it is only 5 watts, which means I can saturate it without it being too ridiculously loud. I've been looking into a Tubescreamer (or something similar), and I figure it will only really do it's job if it's driving a tube amp, so I think that buying one of these and an overdrive pedal could be just what I'm looking for.

So, what do you guys think? Have any experience with this little guy? Any suggestions, advice? There is also a combo version of this amp, but I think I'm more interested in the head/stack version. Especially since it has the changeable output settings, which means that I can hook it up to just about any cabinet I could find!

Thanks in advance! biggrin.gif

P.S. I do plan on trying it out. If I remember correctly, I think there actually was one of these at the local Guitar Center. I just want to get some advice from GMC as well!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Jan 11 2008, 05:27 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 11 2008, 05:37 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Jan 10 2008, 10:24 PM) *
So, I've recently run across this little guy, and I'm very interested! It's a 5 watt tube head, with 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs. This sounds very nice, as I typically don't play very loud, even 5 watts could be pushing it for me, if it's all the way up!

I've been very interested in tube amps lately, and I figure that this is a good start. I realize it won't be anything amazing, but it is a tube amp, and it is only 5 watts, which means I can saturate it without it being too ridiculously loud. I've been looking into a Tubescreamer (or something similar), and I figure it will only really do it's job if it's driving a tube amp, so I think that buying one of these and an overdrive pedal could be just what I'm looking for.

So, what do you guys think? Have any experience with this little guy? Any suggestions, advice? There is also a combo version of this amp, but I think I'm more interested in the head/stack version. Especially since it has the changeable output settings, which means that I can hook it up to just about any cabinet I could find!

Thanks in advance! biggrin.gif

I have one, so does Andrew. Many mods available for it. Used to be a bit cheaper last year actually. Got mine for $100, then they raised prices. It is still a good deal.

5 watts is still loud. I forget the formula, believe it is the cube root of the watt increase is the loudness increase, meaning you need 40 watts to be twice as loud as a 5 watt amp. I guess that is because space is 3 dimensional. Of course space is actually 10 dimensional, with time being the 11th. But we can ignore that for the present discussion.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Jan 11 2008, 05:43 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jan 10 2008, 08:37 PM) *
I have one, so does Andrew. Many mods available for it. Used to be a bit cheaper last year actually. Got mine for $100, then they raised prices. It is still a good deal.

5 watts is still loud. I forget the formula, believe it is the cube root of the watt increase is the loudness increase, meaning you need 40 watts to be twice as loud as a 5 watt amp. I guess that is because space is 3 dimensional. Of course space is actually 10 dimensional, with time being the 11th. But we can ignore that for the present discussion.

Okay, you kind of lost me there, laugh.gif but you mean it would still be fairly loud? It seems pretty expensive for a 5 watt amp, but I have heard that tube amps are much louder than a solid-state amp. I play pretty quietly most of the time anyways, I have a 100 watt (solid state) amp, and I almost never push it past 1. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 11 2008, 06:28 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Jan 10 2008, 10:43 PM) *
Okay, you kind of lost me there, laugh.gif but you mean it would still be fairly loud? It seems pretty expensive for a 5 watt amp, but I have heard that tube amps are much louder than a solid-state amp. I play pretty quietly most of the time anyways, I have a 100 watt (solid state) amp, and I almost never push it past 1. biggrin.gif

ignore the lost me part.

it is a good buy for a little tube amp. tubes amps sound better. they just have a sound. I have a Zoom G9.2tt multi effect device with two tubes in it. World of difference, tubes just add something. They have always been more expensive, but a fender this size would cost much more. But they hold value, so you can always sell them.

Most people, given a choice, will use a tube amp. But as I said, they cost about twice as much in general.

+Quote Post
Bigjim
Mar 4 2008, 11:42 PM
Thought I would bump this and share my experiance of the little amp smile.gif

I cant use anything loud and wanted a valve amp I bought the Harley Benton Ga5 which is the same amp as the Valve junior version 2 only a lot cheaper !! I got the combo version which was just £8 more than the head.

Out of the box - Its a bit dull and the break up doesn't come in until high volumes and I wasn't that pleased with it dry.gif BUT I knew this before I bought it as I had done some reseach and had been looking into modding it anyway.

One soldering iron and multimeter later....

I wont go into the specifics but the first set of mods I completed on this litlle fella turned it into a fantastic little amp, if your into you blues and like a nice warm tone I really dont think you could beat it for the price. There are three different "voicing" options detailed and I went with the mashall mods, the others are vox and fender type tones.

My amp has been like that for a couple of months and although I really liked the tone I still had to chuck a pedal in front to get the gain I wanted at the right volumes. So I went looking for other solutions, I found a mod which adds an extra 12ax7 preamp tube and master volume (You could add a master volume to the modded amp without the extra tube but it sucks your tone) So after buying my bits and struggling to cut a hole in the chasis (That was a pain) I wired in the new tube.....

WWWHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAaa My little amp is now a metal beast, sounds similar to my BOSS DS-1 only warmer and fuller. With the master volume I can get heavy distortion at very quiet wisper volumes or nice and loud and I think it sounds amazng. With the jackson with active emg's its got a great metallica feel to it and with my old strat copy I get lovely blues tones, I really never liked my BOSS SD-1 but now it sings with the strat.

Whats it cost ? The amp was around £70 shipped and I have spend about £30 on parts, countless hours trying different things and learning about valve amps but its def worth it for what I have here now.

Theres some great forums with all the info and loads of great guys to help you and can be done by anyone who is willing to learn (Wont post the forum details but if you want info then pm me)

So thats it Best amp for under £100's ? Out of the box, no its not and if your not willing to mod it I would spend more.
If your willing to mod it, it could be the best £100 you have ever spent.

Have attached a couple of really short mp3s of my really bad playing laugh.gif Ill have more time to practice now its done.

Jim

P.S. Warning !!! Valve amps contain high voltages and if you dont know what you are doing you can kill yourself !! Dont want and GMC'ers hurt !! Do your research and be safe smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  off1.mp3 ( 282.17K ) Number of downloads: 80
Attached File  met.mp3 ( 136.05K ) Number of downloads: 75

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:50 AM