> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Phil Collen: Intermediate, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Beat Zbinden
Mar 28 2019, 02:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Phil Collen: Intermediate by Ben Higgins

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 28 2019, 04:16 PM
GMC Founder
It's sounding great Beat!

I recorded a personal video for you targeting some of the improvement opportunities I see:

You get a 7 from me, keep it up!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2019, 07:05 PM
Instructor
Hi Beat!

Great to see you working on this cool lesson by Ben. There are basically 3 elements that you could improve here: groove, bending and fast alternate picking playing.

You work on the rhythm section is not bad but there is more room to make it sound groovier and to give it more dynamics work. I notice that you tend to do small movement with your right hand while there are some movement where it deserves bigger ones. The idea is to make your right hand "dance" with the groove of the song, and use the bigger movements to attack the strings stronger. Check out how Ben uses his right hand in this part.

Regarding your fast alternate picking playing, the problem appears in the faster licks, for example at 00:36 or at 00:47. I notice that your hands lost sync here, so you need to isolate this licks and work on them.

Finally, your bending is not bad, you reach the correct pitches but I feel that they are not smooth enough. You could put some focus and work on them as well.

Those are the weak points, but this one has many strong points so I give you a 7!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 29 2019, 04:33 AM
GMC:er
Some great feedback and a great vid by Kris!!! As mentioned, bending to pitch is CRUCIAL. Isolate the bends and focus on them until they are at pitch. If you need to, grab a guitar tuner, find the right pitch to bend to and use the tuner as a visual reference til you get it down.
Fast picking requires precision and hand synch. Gotta earn this. back off your speed a pinch and play it very clean. Then start playing just a few notes at an increased speed, say 3, then four, and so on (This is the Ben Higgins Technique)
For "Groove" bits, don't be shy about wagging your entire arm around to really make the pick have some force behind it. Some licks need a bit of arm wag. Your playing is solid. So it's a 7 for me!!
Todd

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 1 2019, 09:30 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:21 AM