2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Is Your Home Studio Shrinking?
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2018, 07:05 AM
GMC:er
I was noticing that over the years my Home Studio has actually shrunk quite a bit. My first home studio was sprawling. Version 2 was even worse. Version 3 is so simplified it bears no relation to the first two versions. My entire studio is my laptop, monitors and one 50 inch hdtv. I don't use anything in my rack anymore for recording. It's mostly just pretty lights smile.gif Is this your experience as well?

Version 1Attached Image
Version 2Attached Image
Version 3Attached Image

The funny thing is, version 3 has the least amount of gear, but the most sonic flexibility and power.
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 25 2018, 02:28 PM
Instructor
Awesome evolution Todd. What laptop are you currently using?

Do you have any temperature issues with it?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2018, 06:20 PM
I gave up on desktop units and got a 2012 Macbook Pro (quad core i7) and put 16gb of ram and 1 terabyte ssd drive in it.

It's fast enough to allow me to record full High Definition video direct to hard drive via firewwire and record my playing at the same time with all my real time plugins going inside LOGIC X. Not back for a laptop thats half a decade old! smile.gif The funny thing is that the new macbook pro laptops are still being offered with specifications very similar to mine. They do have an improved video card and a touch bar, but the rest is still very similar. Quad core, 16gb ram/1tb ssd. I was able to get the laptop for just $400 and then put another $400 in upgrades. Still, an $800 macbook pro with these specs is a real bargain imho. The sweet spot on macbooks is always a few years back since the new ones can easily cost $3,000 with these specs.

I started with the big Mac TOWER then went to the iMac, now I"m all about the Macbook. I keep seeing wads of home and pro studios based around a macbook pro. I understand why. The thunderbolt port allows me to hook up to a docking station with HDMI video out, USB 3 ,and Esata connections. So despite the fact it's an older mac, I can still get USB 3 and Esata. I run the video to a large HDTV which cost $300. Much cheaper than a computer monitor of this size. Try pricing a $50 inch computer monitor. It's crazy. I don't need more than 1920x1080 resolution since anything more makes all the menus really small which annoys me.
I use the SMC fan control app to regulate temp. When doing video/audio recording it does warm up so I turn the fans to max to keep it cool. I replaced both fans not long ago which was easy and they cost about $50 a pair. smile.gif
What are you using?
Todd
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 25 2018, 09:28 AM) *
Awesome evolution Todd. What laptop are you currently using?

Do you have any temperature issues with it?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 25 2018, 06:24 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 26 2018, 01:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
Mine has expanded from a corner of my living room to now a small room by itself, so I'm going the other direction smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 27 2018, 04:50 AM
You got a bigger place just to increase your studio size!!! smile.gif Few pix?
Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 25 2018, 08:10 PM) *
Mine has expanded from a corner of my living room to now a small room by itself, so I'm going the other direction smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 15 2018, 10:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 27 2018, 04:50 AM) *
You got a bigger place just to increase your studio size!!! smile.gif Few pix?
Todd

Tried to get it all in smile.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 15 2018, 10:57 PM
Very nice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 15 2018, 11:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
I want to add some more drum pads and cymbals, so I can have some octobans for instance.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 15 2018, 11:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 16 2018, 04:40 AM
Nice setup!!!!! Have you shared your twitch channel with GMC?

Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 15 2018, 05:44 PM) *
Tried to get it all in smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 6 2019, 01:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
In some ways shrinking (was in the living room of my old apartment, and is now in a smaller room, but actually more dedicated space. I have put a few things up since the last shot, but I realized when I had put the hooks for cables on the wall that they need to be a good bit lower, so I can have the picture above them. Live and learn - something to do tomorrow smile.gif

Then I also got the computer monitor up on the wall of my drum kit, and I moved my old laptop, which wasn't very functional, from its' place on top of the record player, and instead I placed my newer laptop (that was just sitting in the bedroom unused as the screen was broken, so hooking it up in here to a computer screen works great!) on a note stand at the drum kit. Everything connects to my Focusrite soundcard (though I am getting a bit of buzz when playing anything from the newer laptop through the soundcard, which wasn't a problem with the old laptop. I don't use that very often though if at all, and I don't reckon I will, so it's not a high priority to find a fix for.

I am still thinking about converting 2/3 of the closet (unused) to an half open vocal booth, but that's not high priority either.

First priority is to get back to playing guitar, but having an inspiring place to do so means a lot! smile.gif

Here are some pictures, including MVP studio-cat Daphne.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 6 2019, 01:01 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 8 2019, 04:30 AM
Your home studio is looking great! Anyone else got a setup to share?
Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 5 2019, 08:08 PM) *
In some ways shrinking (was in the living room of my old apartment, and is now in a smaller room, but actually more dedicated space. I have put a few things up since the last shot, but I realized when I had put the hooks for cables on the wall that they need to be a good bit lower, so I can have the picture above them. Live and learn - something to do tomorrow smile.gif

Then I also got the computer monitor up on the wall of my drum kit, and I moved my old laptop, which wasn't very functional, from its' place on top of the record player, and instead I placed my newer laptop (that was just sitting in the bedroom unused as the screen was broken, so hooking it up in here to a computer screen works great!) on a note stand at the drum kit. Everything connects to my Focusrite soundcard (though I am getting a bit of buzz when playing anything from the newer laptop through the soundcard, which wasn't a problem with the old laptop. I don't use that very often though if at all, and I don't reckon I will, so it's not a high priority to find a fix for.

I am still thinking about converting 2/3 of the closet (unused) to an half open vocal booth, but that's not high priority either.

First priority is to get back to playing guitar, but having an inspiring place to do so means a lot! smile.gif

Here are some pictures, including MVP studio-cat Daphne.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 8 2019, 07:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 8 2019, 04:30 AM) *
Your home studio is looking great! Anyone else got a setup to share?
Todd

Thanks! smile.gif It's very much a one-man workspace. I had a friend over here one day in the summer, and having a guitar each, moving about etc. space wise it got a bit crammed. I didn't even have the drum kit at that point. I have optimized the space a bit since though, so it doesn't feel smaller after adding the drum kit, but yeah, you know, small space, expensive guitar etc. plus it becomes very warm in here with two people. That said, maybe without the guitars or one on drums and one on guitar would work. But two guitars out in here worried me more than I enjoyed it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 14 2019, 09:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
I moved some stuff around (pedals from in front/on top of amp) to closer to my computer and where I actually play guitar. Previously I had to walk to the amp to switch between channels as the footswitch was over there etc. Much better now. I also got some more cable sorted and made some other cable run behind my computer screen instead of in front of.

I meant to say patches or presets in the video, but tired brain wrecks any attempt at speaking clear smile.gif

EDIT: I also just added sort of a shelf for a outlet socket box beneath my desk where my computer is. Means the floor is easily cleaned...and it needed to be! No pictures, as it's crooked as hell, but so be it...

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 15 2019, 12:16 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2019, 03:29 AM
Nice!! Gotta have stuff where it's easy to reach. Especially when recording. Getting the process as smooth as possible really helps imho. Having to break concentration during writing/recording to stand up and go flip a switch can kill your creative flow sometimes. Great way to have it all within striking distance!! I think you could book time in there and help out local bands who really need help. There are so many folks out there these days that could really use a pinch of help on their production/recording/mixing/etc. and you've got a great studio right there. I'm not saying you should start charging by the hour and take on a bunch of stress, just maybe use it as a way to dig deeper in to the local scene and find quality people that you might wanna write/jam with.
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 14 2019, 04:58 PM) *
I moved some stuff around (pedals from in front/on top of amp) to closer to my computer and where I actually play guitar. Previously I had to walk to the amp to switch between channels as the footswitch was over there etc. Much better now. I also got some more cable sorted and made some other cable run behind my computer screen instead of in front of.

I meant to say patches or presets in the video, but tired brain wrecks any attempt at speaking clear smile.gif

EDIT: I also just added sort of a shelf for a outlet socket box beneath my desk where my computer is. Means the floor is easily cleaned...and it needed to be! No pictures, as it's crooked as hell, but so be it...

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 16 2019, 01:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
Quick crappy video. Will do a better one at some point... maybe

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 16 2019, 01:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
Picture edition of DIY "vocal booth" unfolding...instead of video above.

So I found a temporary fix for my DIY vocal booth situation. Basically realizing I had some space behind the door when it's closed. My room is only about 12x9 feet, so there's not much space to work with, but I've somehow managed to optimize the space enough to have keys, electronical drums, guitars and guitar amp, vocals, workstation + laptop on the other side of the room for notes on a screen there used for notation, two cameras for filming, monitors for listening and additional desktop speakers to hear what most people with their desktop speakers hear. Still working on things.

So, yeah, solution to the vocal booth situation: space behind the door with some bed sheets. Actually the bit holding the bed sheets on the 5th picture is just a shaft from a broom. Obviously a double layer of bed sheets might not be the best, but I suppose it's better than nothing.Still gotta test if and maybe find something for the floor and for the ceiling. Also maybe looking for something a bit more pro looking. This will do for now.

Gonna test it some day soon.

Picture 1 to 6 of the vocal booth and unfolding. 7 to 10 of rest of studio. Picture 11 is from inside the vocal space. I'm a relatively big guy...at least measured sideways, but the space is okay. I can move around without hitting anything at least.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 16 2019, 02:35 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2019, 05:28 AM
Super congrats on your new Vocal Booth!!! Very creative solution to a very common issue. Small home studios got no place for vocals. Not so here. Problem solved!
Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 15 2019, 08:56 PM) *
Picture edition of DIY "vocal booth" unfolding...instead of video above.

So I found a temporary fix for my DIY vocal booth situation. Basically realizing I had some space behind the door when it's closed. My room is only about 12x9 feet, so there's not much space to work with, but I've somehow managed to optimize the space enough to have keys, electronical drums, guitars and guitar amp, vocals, workstation + laptop on the other side of the room for notes on a screen there used for notation, two cameras for filming, monitors for listening and additional desktop speakers to hear what most people with their desktop speakers hear. Still working on things.

So, yeah, solution to the vocal booth situation: space behind the door with some bed sheets. Actually the bit holding the bed sheets on the 5th picture is just a shaft from a broom. Obviously a double layer of bed sheets might not be the best, but I suppose it's better than nothing.Still gotta test if and maybe find something for the floor and for the ceiling. Also maybe looking for something a bit more pro looking. This will do for now.

Gonna test it some day soon.

Picture 1 to 6 of the vocal booth and unfolding. 7 to 10 of rest of studio. Picture 11 is from inside the vocal space. I'm a relatively big guy...at least measured sideways, but the space is okay. I can move around without hitting anything at least.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 16 2019, 09:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
Also, speaking of inviting people over here, every Friday I go to a drop-in center for young people with mental health related issues, and we play a bit of music. One girl who's kind of new to music asked me about my home studio as we got talking about it. She said she would like to come by and play some music, write a song etc. at some point. Could be guinea pig #1 in my new setup here. I had a friend over in the summer, but I was not even close to being set up at that time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 16 2019, 11:02 AM
Lol vocal booth idea is very original, I love it biggrin.gif

And oh I forgot, you can use very thick blankets as bass traps too or even use one behind the mic. . But by thick I mean really thick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 16 2019, 11:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 16 2019, 11:02 AM) *
Lol vocal booth idea is very original, I love it biggrin.gif

And oh I forgot, you can use very thick blankets as bass traps too or even use one behind the mic. . But by thick I mean really thick.

Heh, yeah, it just dawned on me that I could do this all of a sudden. It's better than nothing. I'm gonna get some better materials at some point, untill then this is gonna have to do smile.gif I do have a very thick blanket for my bed that would probably work great, but I can't use that as it'd be missing from my bed - but something like that would probably work smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:03 AM