Record Label, how hurd is to get to the Record Label in your country..
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 8 2008, 11:45 PM
Singing Instructor
Hi guys...well if you have a band,or you wanna be a solo artist how hurd is to get your record published...in your country...
ofcourse it is a lot hurder when it is a first record...but that is what I am interestid a bout...
....I will start....

first it all dipends on what kind of music are you playing...I can bravely say that rock music is dead in Serbia..ofcourse not intaerly...ther are maybe 3 or 4....very popular bands..but they all are older generation...that means that their fame was acompished earlyer 1970,1980,1990....but now it is very hurd to pablish a record as a young band...moust published records are Folk music(ethno elements combiend with techno/rave/house) and lyrics worst then Vogon poetry(hitchhikers guide trough galaxy)....so if you are an Metall band...uf....allmoust inposible.....my band was a winner of one of the biges competitions of demo bands in Serbia...and that was not inofe...then a year latter some 60 old rocker help us with his conections..and we had a first record...but that woud never hapend if that man did not helpt us.....so you have to fight very hurd for rock album in our country.......please tell my your expiriance or if you have any stories a bout this subject....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
FretDancer69
Feb 9 2008, 12:26 AM
GMC:er
in my country is almost impossible to have an opportunity due to the fact that they are not interested in real talent, its a poor country, and they only care about reggaeton or rappers or idiots.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 9 2008, 12:56 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 9 2008, 12:26 AM) *
they only care about reggaeton or rappers or idiots.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif "or idiots".... laugh.gif laugh.gif well how many yong rock or metall bands are there..is there any chance to create a rock/metal/punk....scene....there must be some lesseners of that kind of music...Whant I mean is is any body fighting for your
"rock rights"....for example we have only one man who organized bands(demo) and thake a bout 10 bands a week in all citys a round Serbia so they can have chace to play... and later if some one "fight up" to the top he helps them record an album and latter to publish...

This post has been edited by Nemanja: Feb 9 2008, 12:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 9 2008, 01:06 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
One of my friends used to be semi-big in the 90's but I don't think record sales were that great and I know they invested money themselves to have CD's printed. Income from gigs and radio were better.

Another of my friends have their records printed and sold in Germany. We don't have too much contact these days so I'm not sure how that goes. We're in Sweden by the way.

And finaly there's someone who's doing great with record company today. It's my brothers friend and I've seen him on stage since he was like 14 yrs old, oh boy he's been working hard on the guitar and it's nice to see he's up there ripping now biggrin.gif
But prior to Scar Symmertry (the band he's in) I belive he's been struggeling.

Summing it up I think there's quite a number of possibilities to have a record made, only that it will cost you your peronal savings in the process.

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Feb 9 2008, 01:10 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 8 2008, 06:26 PM) *
in my country is almost impossible to have an opportunity due to the fact that they are not interested in real talent, its a poor country, and they only care about reggaeton or rappers or idiots.

laugh.gif

same here in Colombia , with a few exceptions , but the labels look at popular music.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 9 2008, 01:16 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 9 2008, 01:06 AM) *
One of my friends used to be semi-big in the 90's but I don't think record sales were that great and I know they invested money themselves to have CD's printed. Income from gigs and radio were better.

Another of my friends have their records printed and sold in Germany. We don't have too much contact these days so I'm not sure how that goes. We're in Sweden by the way.

And finaly there's someone who's doing great with record company today. It's my brothers friend and I've seen him on stage since he was like 14 yrs old, oh boy he's been working hard on the guitar and it's nice to see he's up there ripping now biggrin.gif
But prior to Scar Symmertry (the band he's in) I belive he's been struggeling.

Summing it up I think there's quite a number of possibilities to have a record made, only that it will cost you your peronal savings in the process.

and how a bout big record labels....is ther a way...for young artists to publish for them and not to give any manny(but having finishd record in their hands)...?or they just pubilsh the well known names....

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 9 2008, 01:25 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Feb 9 2008, 01:16 AM) *
and how a bout big record labels....is ther a way...for young artists to publish for them and not to give any manny(but having finishd record in their hands)...?or they just pubilsh the well known names....

I'd say it's the well known names. I guess, just a guess since I havn't been close to a huge record lale myself but have two buddies who have their own studios and I see where their music end up, in the hands of already well known artists. No large record wants to take a chance on someone unknown unless it's a safe card like an "Britney Spears" or a "Christina Aguilera" that they can promote with loads of commercial.

What has to come out in the end is one thing only, money. For good and for bad but at least very understandable.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 9 2008, 01:29 AM
Instructor
Being in Croatia i have the same problem you have buddy smile.gif BUT - as i pursue the solo carrier as a solo composer/performer/arranger -> the internet provides a lot of ways to advertise your stuff and even sell it without the record labels smile.gif

If we talk about touring and stages - yeah, that is a HUGE problem. Only folk stuff gets the attention here.

I am not even thinking about making a CD under the Croatian record label. There are a few labels in the world which are shred/instrumental oriented and they gladly accept material for rehearsing - than they decide about your future.

Right now i put the composing aside and am concentrating on building technique and finishing the university. Music is all cool but too hard to make something out of it sad.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 9 2008, 01:40 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 9 2008, 01:29 AM) *
Being in Croatia i have the same problem you have buddy smile.gif BUT - as i pursue the solo carrier as a solo composer/performer/arranger -> the internet provides a lot of ways to advertise your stuff and even sell it without the record labels smile.gif

If we talk about touring and stages - yeah, that is a HUGE problem. Only folk stuff gets the attention here.

I am not even thinking about making a CD under the Croatian record label. There are a few labels in the world which are shred/instrumental oriented and they gladly accept material for rehearsing - than they decide about your future.

Right now i put the composing aside and am concentrating on building technique and finishing the university. Music is all cool but too hard to make something out of it sad.gif

yeh I know your music scene very well(Gibo kralj smile.gif )..and we have the same problems(je..ni narodnjaci)....but you are great guitar player dont give up on your solo carier...mabe not for Croatia Records but a smaller one...music is like water allways finds the way....smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 9 2008, 01:45 AM
Instructor
It is hard to get to the record label, often bribe or even sexual bribe is in stake.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
holoshreder
Feb 9 2008, 01:48 AM
Actualy i think i have a way to sucess i will be sure to share it with you guys but first i wanna put it in motion

but to all of you who have already in the way to stardom smile.gif good luck

--------------------
MEN! BANG YOUR HEAD...MEN! WAKE THE DEAD!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 9 2008, 01:53 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 9 2008, 01:45 AM) *
It is hard to get to the record label, often bribe or even sexual bribe is in stake.

"sexual bribe" laugh.gif laugh.gif sadly sad.gif my firiend you are very wright mad.gif.....the biges dissapointmen is when you realise that the music buisnes is actualy MUSIC BUISNES..and that some one who is redy for any thing(but witouth talent or as are friend sad earlier is an idiot)...gets trough to the top leaving behind all the good things...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 9 2008, 04:32 AM
Instructor
It's hardest in small countries,specially where english isn't prime language,
that way you have small market,too small actually.
Of course there are MAJOR record deals even in those countries but
I'm gonna discus about it,there isn't much of music involved there.
For larger markets there's is more chance to do something,
you can pick your level,underground,mid fame or top star.
To be a star,well,hope you are good looking ladies...guys laugh.gif

BUT we have internet,God bless his souls. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Feb 9 2008, 05:01 AM
Well, I don't have anykind of experience, but I think here in Finland if you want to do metal or rock music NOW would be the time to strike, because I've noticed theres a lot of young metal and rock bands here. And especially Metal I think is getting more popular as we speak... I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. tongue.gif

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 9 2008, 05:19 AM
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Feb 8 2008, 05:56 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif "or idiots".... laugh.gif laugh.gif well how many yong rock or metall bands are there..is there any chance to create a rock/metal/punk....scene....there must be some lesseners of that kind of music...Whant I mean is is any body fighting for your
"rock rights"....for example we have only one man who organized bands(demo) and thake a bout 10 bands a week in all citys a round Serbia so they can have chace to play... and later if some one "fight up" to the top he helps them record an album and latter to publish...

yeah im sure we have people that listen to rock and metal, but its drowned by the huge amount of attention, publicity and opportunity that "rappers" and "pop singers" are given.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 9 2008, 06:05 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 9 2008, 04:32 AM) *
It's hardest in small countries,specially where english isn't prime language,

yes that is one of the bigest problems...I can speek only for what I knowe...Metall bands in Sebia(more than a rock bands..bicouse there are mother languige popular bands,bands whos lyrics are in serbian)have a lot of trouble with publishig..bicouse every influance thye have was from America or UK..or bands from a nother countrys but their songs are in english...so to them singing metall in serbian is stupid....but record labels(major ones)will almoust never publish an english singing metall record in Serbia.....one exeption...band Eyesburn who play some thing like regge/metall/hardcore/rock and with english lyrics is publishing for major labels...but they all so have publisht a single with Soulfly and go with them on a world tour..:)exeption confirms the ruels......

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 9 2008, 07:58 AM
My band play black metal, not so easy to get a record label laugh.gif
We just recorded a new demo though, so we got our fingers crossed.

+Quote Post
Vinicitur
Feb 9 2008, 09:12 AM
Where I live (Quebec, Canada) we really have only 2 options. If your band sings in French, you have access to a lot of opportunities. There a lot of festivals and contests where you can showcase your talent. There is even a yearly competition where you can win financing to make your first album. If you sing in English your choices are a lot more limited.

In the metal genre you have only one choice: the indie route. We have a fair amount of indie labels here. There are good venues to do shows and the metal scene is pretty active. Still most of the bands that I know started by making their own independent CDs and selling them at shows and creating a buzz for themselves. This is exactly what uneXpect did. Their first CD (Utopia) was independently released and marketed very successfully on the web.

I think that this could be a viable option to those living in smaller countries and cities where there isn't a large market for the music that they make.

--------------------
IPB Image

There are 2 types of people in the world: consumers and creators. Which one are you?

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Feb 9 2008, 10:27 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Feb 9 2008, 07:58 AM) *
My band play black metal, not so easy to get a record label laugh.gif
We just recorded a new demo though, so we got our fingers crossed.

Isn't Norway still one of the best places for that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 9 2008, 10:28 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Feb 9 2008, 10:27 AM) *
Isn't Norway still one of the best places for that?

Sure I guess, but there are soooooooooooo many black metal bands here.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:29 PM