What Does Exactly The Presence Do?, Are there rights and wrongs with using it?
Jakub Luptovec
May 12 2009, 09:36 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Say you are making a pod patch - what does the presence attribute change? Like I hear the change, its less and less sharp (on gauge Sharp/Blunt) but what exactly is it? and what is its use? because I hardly set it lower than 80%. What sort of tone you can get with tweaking ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 12 2009, 10:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 12 2009, 10:36 PM) *
What sort of tone you can get with tweaking ?

Answer is in the question already, tweak it. wink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presence_(amplification)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: May 12 2009, 10:20 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Sami
May 12 2009, 10:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
gotta love wiki smile.gif

When i think of presence i think of paul gilbert's tone

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 12 2009, 10:23 PM
Instructor
It's upper high mid range, sort of higher than guitar amp treble control. Just another frequency to tweak, look at it that way mate.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 12 2009, 10:25 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 12 2009, 10:29 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 12 2009, 11:23 PM) *
It's upper high mid range, sort of higher than guitar amp treble control. Just another frequency to tweak, look at it that way mate.

Oh thanks, thats what I wanted to hear:)

Btw. sorry for not using wiki - I didnt even think, it could be there biggrin.gif Silly me smile.gif

Btw what was that with Paul Gilberts sound?

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Sami
May 12 2009, 10:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 12 2009, 10:29 PM) *
Btw what was that with Paul Gilberts sound?

Well on one of his instructional DVDs Gilbert responds to people saying that he has a very trebly tone by stating that the secret to his tone is high presence...

Then he precedes to make a joke where PRESENTS are thrown at him haha.

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
Arrival
May 13 2009, 07:14 AM
GMC:er
I believe some amps call the setting "Lead," meaning that cranking it up will make your sound cut through more, where as turning it low would have less "presence" for a rhythm tone.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 13 2009, 10:31 AM
GMC Founder
Very good question - I am usually pleasantly surprised when I find a presence knob on an amp as it gives more control. People often add eq pedals to their chain, to make that final tweak. But if you have got the presence knob and want to add some extra bite/treble to your rhythm sound - it is well worth tweaking it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 13 2009, 10:47 AM
Learning Tone Guru
And is there some situation, when (any of) you would tone the presence all the way down? Just so I get the idea:P

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
May 13 2009, 10:57 AM
Instructor
Presence makes a sound more 'present', when you add presence your guitar will stand out from other instruments, if you reduce the presence the guitar will mix in the background smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 13 2009, 02:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 13 2009, 11:47 AM) *
And is there some situation, when (any of) you would tone the presence all the way down? Just so I get the idea:P

Maybe but lacking of presence also leads to lack of attack, try it. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 13 2009, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 13 2009, 11:47 AM) *

When you are playing somewhere and you know what type of sound you are needed, you use all the available gear & knobs to make that sound. If you work with some amp that isn't yours, you will wanna tweak it to make a sound similar what you prefer and like. This is where the presence knob can help among other things. If the amp or your guitar is too bright, then lowering down the presence could be a good way to make it more darker, so that would be one example of presence tweaking I guess.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 13 2009, 02:51 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
May 14 2009, 06:26 AM
Presence pot is an active filter that works with mid range frecuencies. The presence makes your sound more trebly, gives the impretion of having more attack. But if you use it with an external eq for example, be careful because it could make your tone too agressive and can distort your sound. It depends on what sound do you like and what sound you want to get. If you have a graphic eq. move the 600k range and you will notice that it's like moving the presence.

This post has been edited by Santiago Diaz Garces: May 14 2009, 06:28 AM

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 14 2009, 07:21 AM
QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ May 14 2009, 08:26 AM) *
Presence pot is an active filter that works with mid range frecuencies. The presence makes your sound more trebly, gives the impretion of having more attack. But if you use it with an external eq for example, be careful because it could make your tone too agressive and can distort your sound. It depends on what sound do you like and what sound you want to get. If you have a graphic eq. move the 600k range and you will notice that it's like moving the presence.

Wow, didn`t know that, very helpful info, thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:37 AM