3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Darius' Video Chat Lesson Notes
Darius Wave
Apr 10 2013, 07:06 PM
Instructor
Here are the tabs for the lick I showed on the yesterday's video chat. Hope You'll enjoy smile.gif Piking method is very important. Two down strokes close to each other are nothing else than economy picking / two strings sweep.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Apr 10 2013, 07:07 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  lick01_tabs.gp5 ( 3.1K ) Number of downloads: 153
Attached File  lick01_tabs.pdf ( 119.81K ) Number of downloads: 245

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 17 2013, 05:01 PM
Instructor
Ok so just a little reminder of what scales on which chord We could use in the popular Major blues in the key of E we could use to avoid some unexpected dissonances.

Tthere are a few surprises in the traditional major blues progression. Those surprises come from the addition intervals in the 3 basic chrods from any key triad - in this case E, A, B. When add a minor 7 to each chord the regular major scale doesn't work correct:

E7 (E major + minor 7) = added D note, which doesn't belong to the E major scale
A7 (A major + minor 7) = added G note...also doesn't belong to the E major scale
B7 (B major + minor 7) = in this case it fits regular E major cause all of it's notes belong to E major scale ( B D# F# A )

Cause of those added notes we have to watch out what to play while the chord changes in this E7 A7 B7 progression:

After replacing the note from the major scale with the note that is a minor 7 we get those scales to use on those chords:

E7 = E mixolydian ( D# replaced with D )
A7 = E dorian ( G# replaced with G and D# replaced with D )
B7 = E major (none of the notes is replaced - keep playing over regular E major scale)

This one of the concepts. If We should write all the available solutions for those chords then one topic would not be enought but this simple concept will help You to avoid dissonances in Your playing.

Try to focus on the notes that are replaced. It's much easier than thinking of a whole scale.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 30 2013, 09:33 PM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 30.04.2013

Just reminding I was talking about trying to make things simple as possible while starting to use more than one scale in our improvisation. First step was to know the chords, find the main scale and find the notes that go for exchange while the "different" chords moments are in the backing track.

Try an example of simple blues from B.B King - The Thrill is gone

Find backing track in C-minor (would be best)

You can use all the notes of C-aeolian minor (C D Eb F G Ab Bb C ) on most of the progression chords but...

Last two chords are Ab7 and G7

Replace G note with Gb while playing on this chord

Replace Bb note with B on the last, dominant G chord.

You can use the lick You know for a basic pentatonic shape. Just change any of mentioned notes if the lick contains them.

Simple way to approach to the world of "not one scale" soloing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 8 2013, 10:15 AM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 07.05.2013

C-major and D-dorian modes have exactly the same notes - C D E F G A B C but different root notes ( Dorian mode is made on the second step of any major scale ). You can always find of which scale dorian was made by going 1 whole step (2 frets) down from the dorian root note.

Examples:

:: go 2 frets down from D and there is a C ( D-dorian / C major)
:: go 2 frets down from A (dorian) and You'll find that it was made of the same notes as G-major

What this mean in practice?

You can use the licks and phrases You no for both scales, no matter if the backing track is major or dorian. You just have to translate depending on the backing track key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG86v2zmpQ is in A-dorian but You look on the fretboard and it seems to be "blank" in Your mind for this one You can go 2 frets down and use G-major notes, licks, fretboard spots.

Dorian mode is very usefull in blues, funky, rock and jazz playing...not only. Very often at jam sessions I hear people doing some basic mistakes...like playing the minor 6th while the baacking harmony is dorian. That's because very often when You ask for the key someone says only " X minor". You have to be very carefull cause in a chord progression like Am | D | G | Em | You will hear a dissonance on the D-major chords if You use regular (aeolian) minor scale. This will happen while You'll play F note that doesn't fit with F# from the D major chord ( D F# A ).

So....If You ever feel something is wrong while improvising with Your friends be aware of "hidden" dorian mode...even thought someone could say it's minor. The difference is always on the 6th step that should be 1 fret / 1 halfstep higher than in the aeolian mode. Other 6 notes are equal for minor and dorian ( A B C D E ... G ).

Do some experiments: Use Your licks for C-major on the D-dorian backing track...You'll se it works

You can try this with a D-dorian backing track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gU6ToaKDbQ

Compare how different mood is created with same few notes but used with regular C-major:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBX_JO1riYY

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 29 2013, 08:55 AM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 28.05.2013 notes

This video chat was mostly about the good warm up and picking hand workout. We did some speed building using rhyhtm values from quarter notes, through eight, triplets to 16th notes. We showed different soulutions for the right hand - different hand and pick angles.

We also made some examples of modes translating to the toor major or minor:

Please get well know with the C-major, D-dorian, E-phrygian, F-lydian, G- mixolydian and A-minor scales because all of them are built from exactly the same notes but in different order. This means that if You know the fretboard spots for the C-major, You can easily use the same spots for playing in all mentioned keys.

This is the chain of modes. You can see that each mode was built from a next setop of the major scale ( C major in this case )

C-major
D-dorian
E-phrygian
F-lydian
G- mixolydian
A-minor scales
B-locrian
C

If You remember the interval from Mixolydian root note to the main, major root note, You can always translate the modes too the mentioned root major scale.

If You know the shapes, licks, fingering for each of mentioned scales...the whole fingerboard is yours! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 24 2013, 08:31 AM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 23.07.2013

This chat session was a continuation of solo and improvisation creating concepts. Instead of giving some well know and easy to find licks I was talking about how many things we could do with just a one, learned lick.

I was showing some experiments with harmony and talking how important is to be 100% know to the notes material and their positions in scale while playing any licks.

We did some tests / experiments with changing the lick position, trying to make some different intervals to the root key. Also We talked about creating some outsides for each chord.

One of the bacis idea was to make as many own ideas around one simple lick so the time spent on practice doesn't waste. It's always good to know where and how to use the lick so it creates different kind of mood.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 3 2013, 06:07 PM
Instructor
Video Chat 30.07.2013

This chat session was a continue of composing and improvising concepts. Don't hesitate to ask any questions
smile.gif

Here You can check the video once again:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/36607571

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 9 2013, 03:22 PM
Instructor
Video Chat 06.07.2013

Here is a link to whole video:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/36944107

We were talking about some articulation tools like Vibrato - classical vs modern, blues-like vibrato.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 14 2013, 01:57 PM
Instructor
Video chat 13.08.2013

Rhythm - movements assignment, picking direction, creating good habits and constant mechnism for the right hand. This is what it was about and here's the link to the video smile.gif

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/37262915

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 20 2013, 09:52 PM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 20.08.2013

Rhythm part 2 - Eight note and a two 16th notes group. Practicing, experiments, creativity. Those were the main point of the video.

For those who couldn't see it live, here is the link:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/37575419

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 27 2013, 09:57 PM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 27.08.2013 - 16th notes groups- rhythm workout

Here the link to the chat recording :

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/37887915

We did some practice and examples over KSE - "The end of the heartache". Backing track is available at www.guitarbackingtrack.com

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 3 2013, 09:55 PM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 03.09.2013 - Grabbing the pick, legato practicing concepts

Here is a link to chat video:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/38196423

We had a conversation about the legato practicing concepts and usage, how to grab the pick toturial and madfish tone upgrade continue smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 10 2013, 09:57 PM
Instructor
Video Chat 10.09.2013 - Beginner improvising - 3 pentatonics used for one key solo

This time we did some experiments of how to use one, very famous minor pentatonic shape in thre different fretboard positions for improvising in one key - A-minor

1. Link to the chat session video:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/38563593

2. Link to the backing track used in the session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBneeJSleA

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 17 2013, 09:44 PM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 17.09.2013 The League Of Extraordinary Axemen - Support

Here's video link:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/38900151

1. Key and intropduction practice
2. Looking for concept / ideas
3. Theme importance
4. Basic licks adaptation

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2013, 10:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
I missed some of the chat as I'm not feeling too well, but I will have a look at it tomorrow. I'm usually never ill, but oh well. Had to call my football coach and tell him I can't play tomorrow either, unless this clears up (sore throat, headache, freezing etc.).

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 18 2013, 10:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2013, 09:41 PM) *
I missed some of the chat as I'm not feeling too well, but I will have a look at it tomorrow. I'm usually never ill, but oh well. Had to call my football coach and tell him I can't play tomorrow either, unless this clears up (sore throat, headache, freezing etc.).

Anyway it was nice You could come for a moment smile.gif Chat was mostly about some basic that I think You already know wink.gif But You can always ask about some personal doubts etc smile.gif Some get back to health soon and see You around Ben! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 24 2013, 09:51 PM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 24.09.2013

Paul Gilbert style - licks and tips

A lot about alternate picking and combinations:

Link to the video:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/39198300

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 2 2013, 10:02 PM
Instructor
VIDEO CHAT 02.10.2013

Beginner tips - how to make few notes sound cool. Importance of melody and articulation

Here is the link to the chat video:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/39466083

And here is the link to the backing track we used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSA5ffftwdE

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Oct 2 2013, 10:43 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 2 2013, 11:02 PM) *
VIDEO CHAT 02.10.2013

Beginner tips - how to make few notes sound cool. Importance of melody and articulation

Here is the link to the chat video:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/39466083

And here is the link to the backing track we used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSA5ffftwdE

'
Thats cool...didn't know that these lessons were available 'forever on Ustream! I always thought they were only available on the chat room screen until the next chat took their place. Couldn't be there so now I can watch..I always find myself using/trying ideas in my practice that you have mentioned in your chats Darius smile.gif (eg.Making my own simple call and response phrases in blues from a few weeks back is always something I do now but didn't do before...) Plus a ton of other helpful things. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 2 2013, 11:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Oct 2 2013, 09:43 PM) *
'
Thats cool...didn't know that these lessons were available 'forever on Ustream! I always thought they were only available on the chat room screen until the next chat took their place. Couldn't be there so now I can watch..I always find myself using/trying ideas in my practice that you have mentioned in your chats Darius smile.gif (eg.Making my own simple call and response phrases in blues from a few weeks back is always something I do now but didn't do before...) Plus a ton of other helpful things. cool.gif

That's something awesome Rod! Thanx for writting this! smile.gif I hope to see some of Your original ideas - maybe a video or collab take ? smile.gif
Now we post our chat recording links so people who are not able to be there, can still watch the chat smile.gif Thanx for Your reply...hope to see You on some other chats! smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:53 PM