Quick Licks #63 - Exotic Licks (shredding Inversions)
Todd Simpson
Jan 19 2019, 08:14 PM
GMC:er
In this lesson we use the same shape on three strings. We use an "Inversion" pattern to play the scale in groups of four notes. It's a real finger twister and doesn't conform to any natural scale but it works great in solos!! Once you get used to this pattern, it can be applied to any mode/scale that you like. Since the shape is the same on all three strings, your fingers don't have to make any "shift" which helps reduce the difficulty just a pinch since it's plenty tricky all by itself. It's in the key of E right now using the root note on the 14th fret (E). You can move it to any key you like just by moving the pattern to any place on the neck you want. The place you land, in this lick, should be whatever key you want to solo in. If you already know about scale inversions, this one should be no problem at all. DEALERS CHOICE ON PICKING!!!! Pick it any way that works and you don't have to pick each note if you would rather hammer on instead.

Attached File  63.gp5 ( 1.63K ) Number of downloads: 4689

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This one mixes a blues scale with a dorian scale and creates something new. Give it a whirl!

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 19 2019, 08:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 20 2019, 10:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here's take 1 for scrutiny sarge.

https://youtu.be/5Jb9l8bgynY

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2019, 06:24 AM
Nailed it!!! That's the lick. It's one of my fave solo licks. The delay/reverb is maybe a tad much for a demonstration vid, but I could still hear you playing so it worked out. Good technique all the way through on one. Try to use it in a solo asap!!! You clearly have this one well in hand and you just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 20 2019, 05:28 PM) *
Here's take 1 for scrutiny sarge.

https://youtu.be/5Jb9l8bgynY

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2019, 08:42 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,
Sorry about the delay, I had been using that patch for something else, my ears were used to it, I noticed when I played the video back but was out of time.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2019, 06:54 AM
Not to worry smile.gif I can still hear the primary notes so it's fine. Just try to keep it to a minimum as you usually do. smile.gif Well played!!
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2019, 03:42 AM) *
Thanks Todd,
Sorry about the delay, I had been using that patch for something else, my ears were used to it, I noticed when I played the video back but was out of time.

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Feb 4 2019, 04:55 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2019, 02:26 AM
This one may be just a pinch green. I know you can play with more precision than we have in this vid. It's quick licks, but I know you are a capable player. You can play way better than this, no doubt iin my mind. This is an "Inversion" style lick which is a very important bit. Don't worry so much about playing it briskly, just like bootcamp, no points for speed. Just points for playing the lick as close as possible to the original vid. Give this one another quick go!!
Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Feb 4 2019, 11:55 AM) *

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Feb 5 2019, 05:18 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2019, 09:36 PM
BINGO!!! I knew it smile.gif You can do this one picking each note or picking now and then. Either way is fine. The first vid was just a pinch less than the precision I know you can play with is all. I get the sense that you are a bit impatient with yourself sometimes and want to jump ahead just a pinchand sort of "get on with it" instead of digging in and making a given lick, rec, etc. "Yours". This is a good example of playing the bit in a variety of ways, all of which work well. Nice!!You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Feb 5 2019, 12:18 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 22 2020, 04:47 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 28 2020, 02:39 AM
NICE!! This is an amazing take. I thought your first take was the final take, then you ramped up the speed and didn't miss a note and then played it a few more times or good measure. This is a tricky inversion lick thats loosely based on a blues scale with with other notes thrown in. It's one of my fave licks. I use it in solos all the time. You sail through it at top speed without losing a note and without losing synch or your mute! You have this one well in hand. You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 22 2020, 11:47 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 17 2021, 12:28 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 17 2021, 08:28 AM
Nice work!! This one combines my favorite inversion lick with another blues type lick that I also just love. It works in just about any solo. Those notes are pricless. They always work, just about anywhere. Just make sure the root note on the low E is the same as the "key" of a given song and bam. You can noodle around in those notes as long as you like and still be playing in key. The faster the better as the B string notes are not technically part the minor or blues scale. Its' combining scales really to result in a handy bit that's simple to play since it's the same on every string. You navigate it well and your moving at a good pace! Nicely done on the mute as well! You've got this sorted!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 16 2021, 07:28 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:24 AM