2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Changing Effects/ Channels When Playing Live
mad
Jul 4 2012, 10:38 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I'm honored wink.gif

Well, when recording a whole piece I use my Zoom G2.1u. With this one I can shift the effects back and forward - which can be tricky if I use 3 effects in one piece (e.g. Cosmins Katatonia Style lesson) and have to switch from effect 3 to 1.. currently I cheat by just copying the first effect to the 4th position so I just have to move forward tongue.gif

When rehearsing I use my Sanpera II board with the corresponding Vypyr Head, like it!

Attached Image

This combination used to be a little buggy until I installed a newer firmware into the Vypyr: sometimes while changing the effect the amp's software crashed and all you could hear was a loud roaring and beeping noise from the cab.... I never played live on stage, but I remember having a nightmare where exactly that happened... blink.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 27 2012, 02:16 PM) *
Our very own mate - Mr. mad has inspired me to write this post, regarding shifting effects on stage or while performing a piece from one end to the other.

Of course, when we are recording in the studio, each channel is recorded separately - clean tones in one take then the distorted tones and so on, but when we are on stage, if we aim for a very tight sound, we should pay attentions to this matter.

Usually, if we have a good rhythmic sense, stomping around on effects will not be too much of a difficult task - especially if we are using an effects processor or a midi controller, which is set to activate more effects in your rack or stomps.

BUT biggrin.gif what if you only have the channel switcher and a few stomps - having a midi controller is not worth it and you have to LEARN HOW TO DANCE - this is where I am at right now laugh.gif

I usually have to add reverb and delay to some parts of songs and in the same time switch the channels between clean, crunch and then riff and immediately take out the reverb and delay.

The riff tone has to be dry usually, in order to sound tight so, imagine that if the delay gets in the way at a huge volume, things are not good at all smile.gif

My idea is to always switch the channel first and then take out the effects as fast as possible. I am usually using rhythmic subdivisions in order to move my feet in an orderly way and make the moves as fast as possible.

What are your experiences in this direction and how are you dealing with this on stage or while playing music which requires tone and effects shifting?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 5 2012, 07:55 AM
Instructor
Well, maybe a midi controller would be a good idea after all for me as well smile.gif I'll look into it a bit more and who knows? I will also get a wah and a whammy in the near future, but those don't need to be controlled with such a device.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 5 2012, 10:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
haha. I have a hard enough time finding the channel button on my amp while playing live. I tend to use the volume pot to clean up - just turn down for soft parts, and turn up for the dirt. But I really do need a few pedals - delay and boost for solos. Call me simple biggrin.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 6 2012, 07:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 5 2012, 09:08 PM) *
haha. I have a hard enough time finding the channel button on my amp while playing live. I tend to use the volume pot to clean up - just turn down for soft parts, and turn up for the dirt. But I really do need a few pedals - delay and boost for solos. Call me simple biggrin.gif

It's not simple at all wink.gif in my opinion, a player who is capable of getting a good clean tone by lowering the volume pot and going back to full control and big gain by cranking it up, is a true tone master biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 7 2012, 02:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 5 2012, 10:08 PM) *

okay- you are no longer christian -your name has been changed to simple

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 7 2012, 10:58 AM
Instructor
Simple JamsAlot biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 7 2012, 11:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
ah man, you guys are killin me. Okay, call me simple biggrin.gif:P

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:16 AM