Mgs Cover Attempt
Adam
Feb 7 2020, 03:49 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi! I've been lately enchanted by the Metal Gear Solid series, not just story-wise or because of the gameplay. It has very distinctive soundtrack and some of the tracks I feel I should be able to cover at my level.

I chose "Father and Son" for my first target and I've recorded a few attempts of the intro. Please let me know what can be improved, mostly in terms of phrasing and dynamics. I'm sorry for keeping my right hand out of the camera. I'm not sure if it's any important. I'm not using the regular classical picking style and I'm aware I need to work on my accenting technique - I hope all my faults can be identified by just hearing it.

I don't really know how to practice accenting notes and I probably need help with both picked and fingered accenting techniques. Could you guide me in he right direction to improve that?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 7 2020, 10:45 AM
GMC Founder
This sounds good to me!

I can can hear cool phrasing, dynamics and accents in here.

The biggest thing I would work on, if I were you - would be left hand tension. You are applying a lot of tension here (we can see your left hand fingers kinda cramping when not fretting) - even though this a fairly slow tempo piece.

At a minimum you should be able to play slower tempo material relaxed, otherwise you will be physically limited from playing fast. So the remedy is to slow down a bit more and focus on being totally relaxed.

As far as I can tell you are accenting the notes very well through increased dynamics with the right hand, so I would not say there is a problem there.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 7 2020, 01:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you!

It turns out I'm much more tense when playing in front of recording device or an audience. I'll try playing in front of my mom or camera (I think this is the only remedy, is it?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 7 2020, 02:00 PM
GMC Founder
Yes it's the same for me, I am always more comfortable when playing alone.

Practicing in front of an audience is super important (online or outside!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 8 2020, 06:03 AM
GMC:er
NICE! coming along quite well I think! It's a great idea to add instruments to your practice routine. As many as are practical. I added the mandolin a few years back and like classical guitar, it gave me ideas that I took back to the electric.

Your playing here is quite good! you could always add a little vibrato to give it more character. Also, playing classical is typically done with fingernails on the picking hand, so one has to grow and then shape the finger nailes as each one is actually a pick smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 6 2020, 10:49 PM) *
Hi! I've been lately enchanted by the Metal Gear Solid series, not just story-wise or because of the gameplay. It has very distinctive soundtrack and some of the tracks I feel I should be able to cover at my level.

I chose "Father and Son" for my first target and I've recorded a few attempts of the intro. Please let me know what can be improved, mostly in terms of phrasing and dynamics. I'm sorry for keeping my right hand out of the camera. I'm not sure if it's any important. I'm not using the regular classical picking style and I'm aware I need to work on my accenting technique - I hope all my faults can be identified by just hearing it.

I don't really know how to practice accenting notes and I probably need help with both picked and fingered accenting techniques. Could you guide me in he right direction to improve that?

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 9 2020, 04:03 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 7 2020, 03:00 PM) *
Yes it's the same for me, I am always more comfortable when playing alone.

Practicing in front of an audience is super important (online or outside!)

I guess, I can only add it to my routine and wait for the results. It's probably one of the most important skills for a musician.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 8 2020, 07:03 AM) *
NICE! coming along quite well I think! It's a great idea to add instruments to your practice routine. As many as are practical. I added the mandolin a few years back and like classical guitar, it gave me ideas that I took back to the electric.

Your playing here is quite good! you could always add a little vibrato to give it more character. Also, playing classical is typically done with fingernails on the picking hand, so one has to grow and then shape the finger nailes as each one is actually a pick smile.gif

Todd

Thank you! I'm using my fingertips at the moment but I'll let the nails grow a little.

For now, I want to just memorize the whole piece and correct timing, since I had to tab it all myself and when that is done, I'll experiment with the ornamentations smile.gif

Here is the second part. The timing is a bit off but I didn't practice it much.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:12 PM