2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Dream Theater-octavarium, one of the best albums ever!
TreyDeschamp
May 3 2008, 01:31 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm curious as to what others thing about this album personally i think it has to be one of the best albums made...its an awsome band with an awsome sound....my dad listens to them and got me hooked on this album particularlly tongue.gif i would just like to know what some people think about it

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 3 2008, 04:05 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ May 3 2008, 01:31 AM) *
I'm curious as to what others thing about this album personally i think it has to be one of the best albums made...its an awsome band with an awsome sound....my dad listens to them and got me hooked on this album particularlly tongue.gif i would just like to know what some people think about it

More like just a Dream Theater Octavarium discussion thread, but yes Octavarium is definately the most "epic" album ever, however I prefer Images and Words musically. I have listened to the 24 minute "Octavarium" so many times I know the whole thing word for word, note for note in my head (like every other Dream Theater song lol), but this one is really special for some reason, it is the best on the album for sure. The way the album is setup is insanely abstract and really interesting to grasp the whole concept of it, and figure out how things are connected within and what not. "Intervals" is probably my favorite section of the Octavarium, when LaBrie and Portnoy are yelling "Trapped in inside this Octavarium" at the end (after listening to the whole song, if not album before), it makes my whole body freeze in awe, don't know why.

Other great songs on the album are The Root of All Evil, Panic Attack, and Sacrificed Sons, the rest are pretty good though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 3 2008, 10:13 AM
Instructor
nice album

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
May 3 2008, 10:43 AM
Instructor
Some fans may tell you that DT are dead after Scenes from a Memory, and that even falling into infinity is not a good album...well to me all their albums are awesome, different from one to another sure, octavarium is not the best for me, but the 24 minute suite is awesome! And...systematic chaos is Super fantastic!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
May 3 2008, 11:11 AM
Singing Instructor
Great album,even if I not for 10 min long songs,they can make a sense of it.IMO.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 3 2008, 12:51 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Very good album, I like it alot..
Not their best album though, but still great smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 3 2008, 12:58 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
i haven't got the cd yet .. but i'd really like to hear it

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Darfuria
May 3 2008, 03:27 PM
To be honest, I think the last 3 Dream Theater albums have been pretty sub-par. Then again, I doubt they'll ever write something as fantastic as Scenes from a Memory ever again.

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 3 2008, 03:56 PM
Instructor
Octavarium is great indeed.... But it's a far stretch from the greatness that Awake, Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory were.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: May 3 2008, 03:56 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 3 2008, 04:21 PM
Meh, I'd have to disagree, I still think that Octavarium is a really good album, and Dream Theater is still really really good, if I had to rank the albums it would be:

1: Images and Words
2: Scenes from a Memory
3: Falling into Infinity
4: Octavarium
5: Train of Thought
6: Six Degrees
7: Systematic Chaos
8: Awake
9: When Dream and Day Unite

Having said that, every Dream Theater album except WDDU is 5x better than any other album from almost any other artist tongue.gif

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: May 3 2008, 04:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
May 3 2008, 04:24 PM
I really respect all of your opinions. Everybody has there own personal feelings towards so albums. To me Octivarium is one of the most amazing albums by them. Maybe the reason for this is that when I was younger it was the first album by Dream Theater that i had heard and maybe thats what pulled me into to it. laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 3 2008, 04:31 PM
Instructor
My favourite of their "long songs" is A Change of Seasons. Should have made that one onto a full album and not just a EP

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 3 2008, 04:49 PM
I think they shouldn't have ripped off Muse so much biggrin.gif A lot of songs sound like Muse songs. I don't think they will ever create an album as good as Awake.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 3 2008, 06:37 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 3 2008, 04:49 PM) *
I think they shouldn't have ripped off Muse so much biggrin.gif A lot of songs sound like Muse songs. I don't think they will ever create an album as good as Awake.

Alot of Dream Theater material was released before Muse released their first album, I know what you mean though, but I don't think they have ripped them off that much, the only 2 songs I can think of that sound remotely like Muse are "Never Enough" and "Prophets of War," besides those, I think Muse is actually taking Dream Theater's sound and putting in their songs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 3 2008, 07:08 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Great album for sure, But not my favorite from them, Train Of Thought and Systematic Chaos are favorites of mine smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tsarpf
May 3 2008, 08:35 PM
I LOVE all of their albums equally... (like they were my kids? blink.gif )

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
May 3 2008, 08:36 PM
haha

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 3 2008, 08:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tsarpf @ May 3 2008, 09:35 PM) *
I LOVE all of their albums equally... (like they were my kids? blink.gif )

Yea, me too smile.gif
Only album i dont have on my continuous playlist is When Dream and Day Unite.. there's something i just dont like about that one sad.gif

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Tsarpf
May 3 2008, 08:43 PM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ May 3 2008, 10:40 PM) *
Yea, me too smile.gif
Only album i dont have on my continuous playlist is When Dream and Day Unite.. there's something i just dont like about that one sad.gif

Ah yeah, forgot that that one even existed, I listen to it so rarely. I think I don't like it because of getting used to LaBrie mellow.gif

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
May 3 2008, 08:45 PM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ May 3 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Yea, me too smile.gif

Wow well I might have to listen to that one cause I've never even heard of it

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:20 AM