Coling Your Strings Around, ...
FretDancer69
Feb 8 2008, 11:05 PM
GMC:er
In all my time of playing, ive never learned how to coil the remaining parts of a string when you attach it. Either i leave it like that with all the strings pointing at the air, or i cut them off and make it look nice. But id like to have my strings coiled around each peg (i dont think thats the name, but w/e). But i dont know how to, can anyone please show some video that explains this very detailed and slow?

Thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Henkka
Feb 9 2008, 11:04 AM
I'd like an instructional video of this as well smile.gif I really can't coil the strings properly... I'm propably doing it wrong anyway.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 9 2008, 01:21 PM
Instructor
I don't understand quite. I will do the tutorial on how to change the strings properly if you want me to. Is that what you need?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Feb 9 2008, 06:55 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 9 2008, 12:21 PM) *
I don't understand quite. I will do the tutorial on how to change the strings properly if you want me to. Is that what you need?

Sounds to me like what he's looking for is what to do with the rest of the string that hangs off the tuning pegs after the guitar is strung. You can clip them (my preference), let them stick out and dangle, or loop them together....loop the ends up and then you can twist them in a way so that they hold.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 9 2008, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Feb 9 2008, 11:55 AM) *
Sounds to me like what he's looking for is what to do with the rest of the string that hangs off the tuning pegs after the guitar is strung. You can clip them (my preference), let them stick out and dangle, or loop them together....loop the ends up and then you can twist them in a way so that they hold.

yes thats what i mean, id like the hanging strings to be coiled around nicely. But i dont know how to do that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Feb 9 2008, 08:19 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 9 2008, 02:21 PM) *

That would be awesome, if you could to that. I suck at string changing smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Henkka
Feb 10 2008, 10:27 AM
There's plenty of videos about changing strings in youtube... I wonder why haven't I thought about that before.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

This post has been edited by Henkka: Feb 10 2008, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 06:12 PM
Instructor
I'm currently preparing our very own restringing video for GMC. Stay tuned! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 10 2008, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (Henkka @ Feb 10 2008, 03:27 AM) *
There's plenty of videos about changing strings in youtube... I wonder why haven't I thought about that before.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

the videos i have seen seem to "fast forward" that part that i need to see. But ill check that link out.

QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 10 2008, 11:12 AM) *
I'm currently preparing our very own restringing video for GMC. Stay tuned! wink.gif

Thanks ivan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iron King
Feb 12 2008, 03:19 AM
hmmm
I always thought that cutting off the excess was the only way

I don't remember who told me, but I learned that you should only coil the string 2 or 3 times around the peg, and then clip the rest off.

I'm sure Ivan will cover it in his video

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 12 2008, 08:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 10 2008, 06:12 PM) *

Great news !!! I would to the same with a floating bridge, but I don't know if it would be necessary...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 12 2008, 12:24 PM
Instructor
I think it would Jaun, I was just thinking about how my video could be applied only to instruments with a stoptail. If you have a floating bridge it would be awesome to try, it is a very different process, just check with Kris maybe...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 12 2008, 02:36 PM
Instructor
well, it's just an idea... if there some members who went this video I have no problem to record it (but next month, hehe, becouse I changed strings last week tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 12 2008, 02:43 PM
I like this video on changing the strings...

http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/vid...ring/index.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 12 2008, 03:36 PM
Instructor
yeah, that's a great video wink.gif

+Quote Post
Henkka
Feb 12 2008, 04:04 PM
There seems to be quite a few different styles and tricks around this topic. I feel stupid right now, the way I've changed the strings was pretty retarded. smile.gif

+Quote Post
TekHousE
Feb 12 2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah that last video is pretty good.

Turns out the first time I did my string change was nearly identical to that one. Only thing I did differently was not hold the string out to the side as I started to wind it on. I had my string pulled UP.

This is not such a great idea as it pulls the string up the peg and although its GREAT for the first wind, after that it was hard to wrap them properly. SO my first string was the hardest which I expected, after that I held all my other strings down with my index finger against the fretboard after the first turn.

If anything is needed, is videos on stringing heads with pegs opposite of each other, i.e. 3 on top and 3 on the bottom.

And...

Dare I say it, what about a 12 string guitar!

Any beginner really needs to see the other end of the process to, I mean the part where you thread the strings through the body or if your guitar uses a locking tremolo then details on that too would be nice.

--------------------
"An Aussie in Finland"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 12 2008, 07:16 PM
Instructor
I'm recording the video about restringin as i write this. It should be out soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 12 2008, 10:49 PM
I'm bad at stringing my guitar a swell, usually i just loop the string straight through the peg and don't wrap it round at all then just tune up, i'm guessing this is wrong? also i heard it is bad for your guitar neck if you take all the strings off and then string your guitar? Because apparently it needs tension. Well i've been taking them all off as well what affects will this have?

+Quote Post
TekHousE
Feb 13 2008, 08:07 PM
It would take a long time for any damage to happen if at all..Taking your strings off would not cause the neck to bend. Wood is a lot stronger than that and those strings are not tensioned that tightly smile.gif

I know people who work on guitars in pro shops, I asked this very question and was taken out the back to see expensive Gibsons etc. with no strings on them. The guys told me they had been there for weeks.

--------------------
"An Aussie in Finland"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:04 AM