> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 85 86 87 88 89 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 11 2018, 04:31 PM
Instructor
We will get to this point, but at the right moment...

"I get intervals, semitone = on fret, tone = two frets etc. I'm getting mixed messages about chord construction, when I read things like "The dominant chord is built on the 5th scale degree", it confuses me, when adding a 7th is it the seventh note from the scale (the 1st being the root) or is it 7 semitones chromatically from the root (counting the root as 1) "

On important thing about learning and teaching is that we don't have to hurry up.

Please let me know when the shape and chord are learnt!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 11 2018, 05:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

Will do, I'm hoping to get some form of normality back by the weekend.

When I teach people engineering, cnc programming etc, I always say "one step at a time" and "I'll tell you about that later on, you will understand it more then rather than now, when you have some ground work under your belt and something to relate to", "You don't need to know that just yet, it will only confuse things at the moment"

I'm a master of not following my own advice laugh.gif

Cheers buddy.

UPDATE:
After some thinking after waking at 3am blink.gif I'm going to try and have the mindset of "All will be revealed in time", so long as some snippets of theory are given out where you say things along the lines of, "What you've been doing there is...................", if that makes sense.

Cheers buddy.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 12 2018, 08:18 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 12 2018, 03:06 PM
Instructor
If you'd use those "googling minutes" to practice the shapes that I've shared, our job here would be smoother.

I wonder if you have your guitar always ready for a 5 minutes session close to your computer...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 12 2018, 03:55 PM
Hello Gab,

I googled those things when I wasn't in my music room. I haven't had much chance to be in there with everything that has been going on. I looked on my tablet when I was spending time with my wife.

I always try to use my time in my music room to play guitar and any research is when I am down stairs with my wife. She's need me a lot recently, I haven't wanted her to be sitting downstairs on her own when she is adjusting to having a huge void.

I'm sorry that our job here hasn't been smooth lately but I have had a major life issue that has affected my wife and me in a big way and, the funeral was one of the hardest things I've ever done with some lasting effects.

Speak soon.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 12 2018, 04:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 12 2018, 11:55 AM) *
Hello Gab,

I googled those things when I wasn't in my music room. I haven't had much chance to be in there with everything that has been going on. I looked on my tablet when I was spending time with my wife.

I always try to use my time in my music room to play guitar and any research is when I am down stairs with my wife. She's need me a lot recently, I haven't wanted her to be sitting downstairs on her own when she is adjusting to having a huge void.

I'm sorry that our job here hasn't been smooth lately but I have had a major life issue that has affected my wife and me in a big way and, the funeral was one of the hardest things I've ever done with some lasting effects.

Speak soon.

Phil

Hi Phil! I hope that my comment doesn't offend you mate! smile.gif

I was meaning that even when you are not at the music room, you could do some mental shapes memorization and you'll master these ones much faster and I promise you that you'll start to notice incredible results. I just recommend you to focus a bit more on the real tasks, and not the concepts and questions that the tasks generate you. It's a simple suggestion based on the small amount of time that you have recently.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 13 2018, 02:30 PM
I don't get offended mate wink.gif Sorry if I came across as a bit abrupt, I was frustrated, not with you but with me, I felt I hadn't conveyed my current situation well enough to you so that you understood fully.

Talking off being offended, this is funny.
https://youtu.be/ceS_jkKjIgo

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 13 2018, 09:21 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 13 2018, 03:48 PM
Instructor
hahaha very cool! Is he like a metalhead stand up? laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 13 2018, 09:22 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hughes

http://www.stevehughes.net.au/bio/

cool.gif

I made a start on the G7 chord and the arpeggio tonight. That chord is the hardest thing I've ever tried wacko.gif I recorded a video but when i came to post it it wasn't on the camera, I must have forgot to press the REC button mad.gif

Speak soon buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 13 2018, 10:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2018, 03:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 13 2018, 05:22 PM) *
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hughes

http://www.stevehughes.net.au/bio/

cool.gif

I made a start on the G7 chord and the arpeggio tonight. That chord is the hardest thing I've ever tried wacko.gif I recorded a video but when i came to post it it wasn't on the camera, I must have forgot to press the REC button mad.gif

Speak soon buddy.

Great Phil! Looking forward your new video!! Remember to press REC!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 14 2018, 10:20 PM
Hello Gab,

I feel like a complete beginner with this chord. I'm really struggling with it. The video shows me building the chord, maybe you can spot something showing why I can't get it. I've never ever played this chord before. There was something funky going on with the audio as you will hear.

https://youtu.be/fWulpz-BpfY

Here is the arpeggio. I've just left the video sound on not Reaper as the audio funkyness was getting worse.

https://youtu.be/rVsEZHszzNU

Cheers Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 15 2018, 03:54 PM
Instructor
Excellent Phil! Thanks for the video!

Where are you putting your left hand thumb when playing the chord? I think that this can be on the reasons why you are not being able to play the chord smoothly. It's always recommendable to have it like this:

Attached Image

By the way, you'll feel more comfortable with the chord if you continue practicing it every day. You don't need a lot of time, but 3 or 4 times a day, try the position and let's see if if becomes more comfortable in some days.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 15 2018, 09:45 PM
Thanks GAb,

Yes my thumb is approximately there. I can bar the strings but as I add fingers my index finger starts to lift off slightly. It's just down to muscle adaptation I reckon, time will cure.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 17 2018, 03:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 15 2018, 05:45 PM) *
Thanks GAb,

Yes my thumb is approximately there. I can bar the strings but as I add fingers my index finger starts to lift off slightly. It's just down to muscle adaptation I reckon, time will cure.

Cheers

Phil

Yes! Time!

Have you tried the arpeggio over the backing track?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 17 2018, 10:49 PM
Yes Gab,

Here is a YT vid, I only used a still pic because I was going to just post it on SoundCloud but my sub has expired and it is now £90 per year so I'm looking for an alternative or maybe delete a lot of older stuff.

I find this backing very tricky and not very bluesy, I can't come up with anything good at all, just what I call nursery music. in fact it's awful but never mind. If you have time I'd be interested to hear what you would do over this with the same arpeggios no problem if you don't have time though wink.gif

https://youtu.be/nRWVXrg-Xck

The G7 chord is still eluding me, it's the D string that gets muted the most. Soldier on.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 18 2018, 09:04 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 17 2018, 11:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
I know this is your thread, Phil, and that I am not Gabriel, but I REALLY enjoyed that take, and I thought I could hear clear improvement in your playing, phrasing and all that! There were some lovely phrases in there!

Just chiming in here. Sorry if I'm not allowed in here biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 18 2018, 09:05 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 17 2018, 10:10 PM) *
I know this is your thread, Phil, and that I am not Gabriel, but I REALLY enjoyed that take, and I thought I could hear clear improvement in your playing, phrasing and all that! There were some lovely phrases in there!

Just chiming in here. Sorry if I'm not allowed in here biggrin.gif

I don't know whether GMC allows it but I don't mind, it's nice to see you taking an interest in my journey, thanks Ben, have you tried playing over that backing, I find the rhythm really really REALLY dictates what I play.

Cheers

Phi

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2018, 03:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 17 2018, 06:49 PM) *
Yes Gab,

Here is a YT vid, I only used a still pic because I was going to just post it on SoundCloud but my sub has expired and it is now £90 per year so I'm looking for an alternative or maybe delete a lot of older stuff.

I find this backing very tricky and not very bluesy, I can't come up with anything good at all, just what I call nursery music. in fact it's awful but never mind. If you have time I'd be interested to hear what you would do over this with the same arpeggios no problem if you don't have time though wink.gif

https://youtu.be/nRWVXrg-Xck

The G7 chord is still eluding me, it's the D string that gets muted the most. Soldier on.

Hi Phil!! Great job!! This is much more from what I was expecting!! smile.gif

You don't only learnt and practiced the arpeggio, you are making music with this one!! Nice use of rhythm and phrasing mate. That's exactly what you need to do in order to familiarize with the shape, sounds and train your ear.

Let's try over this backing track before we move forward. If you have time, let's do this smoother and share a quick take when you start to feel comfortable with the groove.

Backing starts at 3:00. The guitarist applies other scales as well but please focus on the arpeggio that we are working now. "One step at a time" wink.gif

PS: I'm waiting for you here: LINK. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 18 2018, 08:41 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 18 2018, 02:25 PM) *
PS: I'm waiting for you here: LINK. biggrin.gif

Glad you like the take Gab, I thought it was terrible huh.gif

I'll work on the new track Gab and I'm in on the Christmas collab. Ben's lyric at 00:55 got me weeping man, crazy how a few words can stir up immense emotion!

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 18 2018, 08:48 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 19 2018, 03:53 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! This is my take doing some random Arpeggio practice over the backing track.

Attached File  G7_Arpeggio_Random_Practice.mp3 ( 2.04MB ) Number of downloads: 73

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 19 2018, 09:17 AM
Thanks Gab

That's great, I hear influences of Cool #9 in there. How do you stop the rhythm completely controlling your phrasing?

Thank you for taking the time to do that for me.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 85 86 87 88 89 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:15 PM