Going From Ordinary Strat To Fatstrat, As easy as I believe?
mhskeide
Sep 6 2009, 05:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi there guys!

As some of you may know, I`m currently modifying one of my older guitars, an Aria stratcopy.

What I wondered is, since the pickups are attached in the pickguard, and not the body (since it just a "hole"), can I turn it to a fatstrat just by getting me a HSS pickguard tongue.gif ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 6 2009, 05:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
Remove you pickguard and look if there is a cavity big enough for a humbucker below it.

If yes, just buy another pickuard and put a humbucker in. If no, you have to do some woodwork...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 7 2009, 01:02 AM
Instructor
As Zakk said: remove the pickguard and check for the cavity. If it is single coil sized:

1. take a drill
2. buy a matching tip (check the picture, it's one of those in the lower section to the left)

3. tape the body around the cavity
4. expand the cavity with the drill
5. rock on \m/

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Sep 7 2009, 12:25 PM
GMC:er
I have American Standard strat, with single coils. When I removed the pickguard, I discovered that the hole for the bridge pickup was sized for a humbucker. I didn´t like that, because i don´t plan on having buckers in it. So check under the pickguard!!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:05 AM