2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Do You Exercise?
Azzaboi
May 21 2014, 09:35 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Spock @ May 21 2014, 08:29 PM) *
I love walking outside, but I have had a few occasions when I ended up getting chased by dogs. So I purchased a child's aluminum baseball bat, just in case I couldn't get away from one - then, the thought came to me, of if I would really want to go through the motion of crushing a dogs face with a baseball bat? If it came down between me or the dog, yes, but, that idea still didn't make me feel comfortable. So, I got a concealed weapons permit, so I could legally carry a gun with me, but wearing the type of pants I wear when walking, there is no real secure place to carry a gun unless in the pocket which it just ends up banging back and forth against my leg - so of course, I couldn't shake the idea of it firing - shooting myself in the knee cap mid stride.

So - I got a treadmill - which I think is one the best purchases I have ever made. I like to walk very early in the morning, and even though I prefer to walk outside - at least with the treadmill, I don't have to worry about dogs, or rain or lightning, etc. And because walking on a treadmill is about the most boring thing anyone can do - I have found that I can walk at a maximum pace of 3.3 miles per hours, which is a good walk and be just under a "jog" and at that speed still be able to operate a PlayStation controller. So that helps me work through the boringness. I play a game of Madden Football every morning while on the treadmill.

Of course, when I was at the gym I couldn't do that, so I just wore headphones and jammed out on music watching the smoking-hot, sweaty women (discreetly as to not come across as a pervert of course).

But I got the idea for playstation on the treadmill from the gym. They had a "Cardio-Theater" which was a dark theater set up to play movies while you rode a stationary bicycle - so I thought it was a good idea.

Hey Spock, do you live in a rough neighbourhood or just have a fear of dogs (Cynophobia)? One thing to know about dogs, is that they read off emotional levels too. Therefore never fear a dog, threaten or even show any concern towards it, as this actually can lead to the attack. As a kid we had some guard dogs at someone's place, it was so cool, I was the only kid in the entire block who ignored the barking, ignored the fear, stand ground, told them to be quiet when making a racket in a calm stern voice. Dogs are seriously man's best friend and shouldn't be feared. You just need to understand dog rules, communication, behaviour and space at the start. They pick up on energy/fear. So never run from them, that will lead to the chase. Try practicing calm assertive energy walking pass when a dog is on lead or gated in to start with. You will never have any problems with dogs again when in the right state of mind.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 21 2014, 09:39 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ulrik
May 21 2014, 09:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (metalheadlady @ May 21 2014, 08:37 PM) *
Lately I've been going running, i have an app on my iPod that incorporates running into a zombie apocalypse sort of story, so for me that's pretty cool since i usually have no motivation to work out for any amount of time. It's called Zombies, run! in case anyone wants to ownload it. it lost like $2, but i think it was worth it.

I've heard about that app.

I think I'll do this 5 km run in September, it's very close to where I live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Kz4podhPg

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
May 21 2014, 10:04 PM
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 21 2014, 04:35 PM) *
Hey Spock, do you live in a rough neighbourhood or just have a fear of dogs (Cynophobia)? One thing to know about dogs, is that they read off emotional levels too. Therefore never fear a dog, threaten or even show any concern towards it, as this actually can lead to the attack. As a kid we had some guard dogs at someone's place, it was so cool, I was the only kid in the entire block who ignored the barking, ignored the fear, stand ground, told them to be quiet when making a racket in a calm stern voice. Dogs are seriously man's best friend and shouldn't be feared. You just need to understand dog rules, communication, behaviour and space at the start. They pick up on energy/fear. So never run from them, that will lead to the chase. Try practicing calm assertive energy walking pass when a dog is on lead or gated in to start with. You will never have any problems with dogs again when in the right state of mind.

No, I really don't have a fear of dogs, just that twice I was chased by dogs - so I guess now I am apprehensive of the idea of dogs when walking. One time I rounded a corner and there was a pit bull standing guard to an auto repair place and he wasn't chained, he took off after me and the owner was yelling for him. The other time was early in the morning and a dog in a fenced-in back yard just ran and dove and slid right under the chain link fence and came out and stood in front of me snarling, I just tried not to look afraid and kept walking forward and he backed up, snarled then went for my legs, (better than my throat) and I kicked at him and jogged off and he eventually didn't come that far down the street. But those 2 times were enough for me to be very leery.

The assertive thing seemed to work with that 1 dog, but I don't think I could pull that off with a pit-bull.

I have to say I am not the only one though. There is a guy that walks every morning religiously that carries a stick with him too - and the thing about it is, we live in the suburbs, we're not out in the country.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2014, 10:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ May 21 2014, 03:08 PM) *
Nope, I don't exercise. :/

Not too much of a good choice man, but why? Lack of time or you don't feel motivated?

I see that pretty much, everyone here does something for their shape, which is totally amazing! Good going guys and gals!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 21 2014, 11:41 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ May 22 2014, 09:04 AM) *
No, I really don't have a fear of dogs, just that twice I was chased by dogs - so I guess now I am apprehensive of the idea of dogs when walking. One time I rounded a corner and there was a pit bull standing guard to an auto repair place and he wasn't chained, he took off after me and the owner was yelling for him. The other time was early in the morning and a dog in a fenced-in back yard just ran and dove and slid right under the chain link fence and came out and stood in front of me snarling, I just tried not to look afraid and kept walking forward and he backed up, snarled then went for my legs, (better than my throat) and I kicked at him and jogged off and he eventually didn't come that far down the street. But those 2 times were enough for me to be very leery.

The assertive thing seemed to work with that 1 dog, but I don't think I could pull that off with a pit-bull.

I have to say I am not the only one though. There is a guy that walks every morning religiously that carries a stick with him too - and the thing about it is, we live in the suburbs, we're not out in the country.

Pit-bulls are actually extremely family friendly, obedient and protective. It's not the dog fault, but rather some bad owners which train their aggressive behaviour to attack/guard or the dog itself has been abused throughout it's life, it lashes out on what it thinks it can manage in pack order. Blame the owner, not the dog...

Dog detects your emotion feelings...

Owner shows fear towards the dog acting up, yelling, etc... which actually just encourages it more if repeated over and over, rather than a calm and firm order from the pack leader. Even the owner being alarmed that the dog is out of control and going to bite, encourages it. The dog works on the emotions, positive or negative doesn't matter. It can even gets to the point of racism or just wearing a simple hat/shades or look which can trigger it.

You run, this leads the dog to follow up even more on it's control.

Never show fear towards a dog and never run away from it. Just stand your ground or ignore it, walking away slowly. You want to appear as not a threat towards the dog or his owner, but also not something that can be easily targeted. This might seem really crazy at first. If your bond enough to stand ground, the dog is actually less likely to attack. 99% of dog attacks are due to the actions/emotions of others.

Don't yell, scream, etc - under very calm and controlled. Don't make eye contact, since that could also cause the dog to lunge. Make yourself rigid and motionless like a tree. In many cases the dog will lose interest and walk away if you ignore him. He might dash up to you, but then stop and bark rather than attack. Running away can awaken the dog's prey instinct to chase and catch animals.

If the dog does actually attack, actually offer the arm to be the area bitten. Fully understand it's against the law for a pet to attack a human and will be put down. Use your weight to push the dog sideways, this will off balance it. If it's still coming, grab from the jaw and pull the top/bottom in opposite directions (sideways). Or grab the two front legs and pull them outwards. This will either disable or even kill the animal - so use as last reaction only.

I would go empty handed and attempt to not appear as a target or threat, but if you really wanted protection, use pepper spray or similar, rather than a weapon / bat. Some dogs understand a weapon as an actual threat, specially if it's been used on them in the past and learn to attack those people more.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 22 2014, 12:24 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
May 22 2014, 12:19 AM
I completely understand. I live in an area where it's in our best interest to assume the worse about pit-bulls.

I would hate the idea of hurting a dog too, and understand a dog may not be properly trained and only acting on instinct, and I would do everything within me to avoid a confrontation, but if it came down to it, and it was either me or the dog and I felt like I was in danger, I would have no problem putting the dog down.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 22 2014, 04:50 AM
We watch a lot of cesar milan lately. A lot of insight on the way a dog acts and reacts. And most of the time it has to do with the human and not the dog.

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 21 2014, 08:35 PM) *

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:36 PM