Anchoring The Pink Good?
IceThrone
Feb 18 2017, 12:33 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Darius,

I'm working on contorting discoloration and properly silencing string noise.
I have modified my picking hand a few times already, first with the acoustic strum, the clamping the string to plam mutes.

For the longest time I kept my hand in almost a fist size to chock up the pick.

Now from seeing all the sweep picking lessons and player I've notices many people keep their pinky at the high E or even lower.
Is anchoring the pinky on the 1st string or on the Pickup a good idea? Or just kinda however over it.

How about if you are doing some fast alternate picking with this technique? Will this help with sweep picking?
I just wanna learn to sweep pick dammit :.(

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 18 2017, 03:26 PM
Instructor
Not sure in 100% what you mean - would be easier if you could attacht your video examples with precise view on the picking hand.

What I can tell you at this point is...alternate picking mechanics work totally different than sweep picking. Don't try to find any relation between what's good for your alternate picking and apllication it for sweep picking

The thing can be a "dissonance" even to the point where you can actually say that a different pick thickness works better for sweep than for alternate picking. In my opinion sweeps tend to sound better with thin picks, which give it lot's of attack, percussive flavor and even better notes separation.

The truth about sweep picking is....it's more of a challenge for the left hand than for the right hand.

Try to give me examples (those could be photos instead of videos) so we would make sure we understand perfectly what we do speak about ok ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
IceThrone
Feb 19 2017, 12:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
Sorry there was some typo there.

I want to control distortion and extra string noise better, and I'm wondering if the pinky anchoring technique would help as many metal players seem to use it. Though some say its a bad habit.

The reason I brought up sweep picking is because that is my end goal and I couldn't get the right hand technique down for the longest time.
(Btw I'm working on your beginner Sweep lesson now smile.gif )

I've attached a video with both techniques.

-Ozzy

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picky_test.mp4 ( 47.33MB ) Number of downloads: 178

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:51 PM