How To Know My Vocal Range?
Gus
Jan 25 2008, 06:28 PM
GMC:er
Hi.

I am guitar player, but I also would like to use my voice better (at least for backing vocals but also for fun), so I am now starting at your lessons tongue.gif

I read some stuff on the internet, but sometimes it seems quite controversial. I believe I am baritone, but that is just guess .
So, I would like to know how can I determine my vocal range?

It would specially nice to know human voice pitch compared to the guitar (since this forum is well populated of guitarists tongue.gif )

P.S. Nice job on Cirse wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jan 25 2008, 06:59 PM
Singing Instructor
hello friend,well it is easy to check in the practical way.....take a high singing song and try to sing the highest note in the song...if you can you ar not bariton...you are tenor...teoreticly baritons highest note is G1 and the lowes is "big E"...
and tenor lowest is "small C" and highest C2 or D2....remebere falseto singing does not count...just your full voice volume....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jan 25 2008, 07:03 PM
Singing Instructor
sory did not se that the cueston is in the "ask an instructor"..sory ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Jan 25 2008, 08:05 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Jan 25 2008, 07:03 PM) *
sory did not se that the cueston is in the "ask an instructor"..sory ..

No problem... It's ok wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jan 25 2008, 08:08 PM
Singing Instructor
cool..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Jan 25 2008, 10:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but how can i tell what my vocal range is using a guitar?

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Gus
Jan 30 2008, 02:32 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Jan 25 2008, 10:22 PM) *
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but how can i tell what my vocal range is using a guitar?

Actually, I would really like to know that. smile.gif

QUOTE (Nemanja @ Jan 25 2008, 06:59 PM) *
hello friend,well it is easy to check in the practical way.....take a high singing song and try to sing the highest note in the song...if you can you ar not bariton...you are tenor...teoreticly baritons highest note is G1 and the lowes is "big E"...
and tenor lowest is "small C" and highest C2 or D2....remebere falseto singing does not count...just your full voice volume....

Hey, thanks for the reply. One of the points of my confusion when reading stuff about voice is actually these numbers. A2, for instance means 5th string of guitar or 3rd string second fret? I know this is piano related, but all I could find was that the reference may be different on different pianos...
I know I can sing Mark Knopfler fairly comfortably and I read somewhere he is bariton. (I love his guitar style so I am trying some covers cool.gif )
Recently I am practicing Brothers in Arms. According to a guitar pro tab, the lowest part for voice is a Ab in 4th fret of 6th string. (That should be baritone right?)

My understanding is that vocal classification should be something more or less on average of population. Some people would have a bigger and some people would have a smaller range (I believe to be the latter unsure.gif )
So what I would like to do close to what SRV wanted: use my guitar to do a "self test" to know precisely what notes I can reach both up and down. But I don't want to get to the wrong conclusion including falsetto or something else...

Any help on this? Also, Luciana?

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 30 2008, 02:48 AM
Just a little off topic, but would Geddy Lee be a baritone?

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 30 2008, 02:56 AM
QUOTE (Gus @ Jan 25 2008, 11:28 AM) *
Hi.

I am guitar player, but I also would like to use my voice better (at least for backing vocals but also for fun), so I am now starting at your lessons tongue.gif

I read some stuff on the internet, but sometimes it seems quite controversial. I believe I am baritone, but that is just guess .
So, I would like to know how can I determine my vocal range?

It would specially nice to know human voice pitch compared to the guitar (since this forum is well populated of guitarists tongue.gif )

P.S. Nice job on Cirse wink.gif

Sing the Star Spangled Banner. If you sound like a sick dog, you have the approximate vocal range of Hillary Clinton. If you can sing it well, you have at least an octave and a half.

edit: changed the word "crow" to "sick dog". i felt that I was being insulting to crows.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 30 2008, 03:02 AM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 30 2008, 12:55 PM
QUOTE (swingline @ Jan 30 2008, 01:48 AM) *
Just a little off topic, but would Geddy Lee be a baritone?

I doubt it. His voice is high as a kites. He certainly couldn't sing a G1 which is very bass heavy.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Feb 3 2008, 07:59 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Gus @ Jan 30 2008, 02:32 AM) *
Actually, I would really like to know that. smile.gif

Hey, thanks for the reply. One of the points of my confusion when reading stuff about voice is actually these numbers. A2, for instance means 5th string of guitar or 3rd string second fret? I know this is piano related, but all I could find was that the reference may be different on different pianos...
I know I can sing Mark Knopfler fairly comfortably and I read somewhere he is bariton. (I love his guitar style so I am trying some covers cool.gif )
Recently I am practicing Brothers in Arms. According to a guitar pro tab, the lowest part for voice is a Ab in 4th fret of 6th string. (That should be baritone right?)

My understanding is that vocal classification should be something more or less on average of population. Some people would have a bigger and some people would have a smaller range (I believe to be the latter unsure.gif )
So what I would like to do close to what SRV wanted: use my guitar to do a "self test" to know precisely what notes I can reach both up and down. But I don't want to get to the wrong conclusion including falsetto or something else...

Any help on this? Also, Luciana?

Hey Gus!
Vocal classifications can sometimes be misleading. All they really mean is the point at which your
voice has to adduct to go from chest to middle. Just because someone told you, you were a Bass
doesn’t mean that you will never hit a high note. In fact, the lower your natural range the wider
from top to bottom your potential range can be. This is because as a Bass your cords are long,
and while length of the cords can be shortened through adducting them, if you were naturally a
Soprano you would not be able to sing an extremely low note, as you cannot add length to them.
Shorter cords naturally produce a higher pitch. Often times choir directors give their members the
false impression that if you’re a bass you can only sing low. So if you’ve sang in some sort of
ensemble before, take heart, with practice you can hit high notes with the best of them. Don’t worry to much about it. Just because someone is a Soprano it doesn’t mean they can sing well. Singing well is more than just range.

But if you want to know A2 means open 5th string of guitar.

Mi advice is don't worry about it!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:52 AM