Logic X And New Garage Band
Todd Simpson
Nov 29 2013, 07:41 AM
GMC:er
This post is for MACINTOSH/APPLE folks since it's about LOGIC and GARAGE BAND which only run on either a MACINTOSH or a PC HACKINTOSH (if you have a pc and want to run Mac apps, you can do it on the cheap, just google HACKINTOSH).

Anyhoo!! I took the plunge and spent the $200 to buy LOGIC X from the App store. At that price, it is simply (get ready for a highly opinionated statement) THE BEST VALUE FOR MONEY OF ANY DAW ON EARTH ( IMHO). Not only does it come with a a HUGE amount of built in Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and Virtual Drummer (and he's a darn good drummer), it is packed with features found in high end systems costing WADS more (E.G. the new pro tools, etc.)

In short, if I didn't have a mac, I'd buy one just to run this. I"m not saying I won't run reaper, I will continue to run reaper since it's the most common denominator across all platforms. But for my own projects that I don't need to share/collab, I'll be starting them in the new Garage Band (also has the virtual drummer) and moving them to LOGIC to complete.

THE CATCH:

It has taken ALL DARN DAY to download logic and all of the bits that come with it. It's HUGE and even over broadband it's taking HOURS. Once you get the program, all the samples/virtual instruments have to bee downloaded and that still has not completed and it's 1:00 am.

So if you take the plunge in to LOGIC LAND be prepare for a LONG slog to get it installed and ready.

I almost went the other route but I want to be able to get updates when they are released as I plan on doing real/paid work with this software. Here is a vid talking about what's new. Staggering that this is only $200.

I"m going to make a thread in my personal board to share more as I go smile.gif

here is a pic showing the "remote" mixing function using an iPad. The iPad integration is yet another spiff feature.
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Nov 29 2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Logic Pro X is ridiculously good value-for-money. With all the instruments and guitar amps etc., it's like a Native Instruments Komplete-lite.

Is there any particular reason you want to start projects in Garageband then import into Logic? Just used to the workflow?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2013, 03:10 AM
Garage Band (the old version anyway) had a really simple/quick interface so I would throw things together quickly and move them over later in to LOGIC. I like that the new versions still allow this but the new version of Garage Band has made so many changes to the workflow that I may just start all my projects in LOGIC from now on when I'm not using reaper.

Getting access to your plugins has been made sort of a pain in the new garage band it seems. They really want you to use the "Channel Strips" and When you pull up Amplitude or Guitar rig or something, it tries to reduce the interface to four knobs. So when I do use it, I'll probably just use things built in to garage band.

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Nov 29 2013, 01:07 PM) *
Yeah, Logic Pro X is ridiculously good value-for-money. With all the instruments and guitar amps etc., it's like a Native Instruments Komplete-lite.

Is there any particular reason you want to start projects in Garageband then import into Logic? Just used to the workflow?

+Quote Post
Spock
Dec 6 2013, 10:28 AM
I could not agree more. Logic X is the shizzle!

I also love the bass amp simulators. I record bass once, and put the same recording on 3 different tracks utilizing 3 different amp simulators - and I am loving the tone.

Other than that - Logic is just so intuitive. If you're a Garageband user - the learning curve is not steep at all - however it will take time to learn it all, you could be up and recording the same day.

Yes - the download takes a while, but it beats driving to pick up a packaged product that costs $500. Evidently most of the money for the old Logics were in packaging and shipping, so Apple stopped all that and made it downloadable - and passed the savings on to us.

I'm with you - best invention since sliced bread.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 9 2013, 08:10 PM
Well Said! The old Logic was so expensive that it kept it out of the hands of lots of folks who were just getting started and even folks who are experienced home recordists. Thank goodness for Reaper eh smile.gif But now that they have gotten the price this low the barrier to entry is honestly only the MAC itself. But one could always build a 'Hackintosh" using a PC smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ Dec 6 2013, 04:28 AM) *
I could not agree more. Logic X is the shizzle!

I also love the bass amp simulators. I record bass once, and put the same recording on 3 different tracks utilizing 3 different amp simulators - and I am loving the tone.

Other than that - Logic is just so intuitive. If you're a Garageband user - the learning curve is not steep at all - however it will take time to learn it all, you could be up and recording the same day.

Yes - the download takes a while, but it beats driving to pick up a packaged product that costs $500. Evidently most of the money for the old Logics were in packaging and shipping, so Apple stopped all that and made it downloadable - and passed the savings on to us.

I'm with you - best invention since sliced bread.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:33 AM