2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Forming A New Band From Scratch, Req. advice on meeting the right foes
Jim S.
Jan 15 2015, 05:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey yall' I'm ringing in the new year with some new goals. First goal is to stop being so lonely. I've always put off starting/joining a band because of time and other priorities. I still have the same priorities but feel like if I don't start playing with other people soon I'll regret it.

Here's the link to the add I put on Craigslist. Knowing me and my playing do you guys have any suggestions on how to ask the right questions to filter out Craigslist psychos or players that prob won't mesh with me?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/muc/4847902705.html

Hey....You.... Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 15 2015, 06:07 PM
GMC:er
Looks good to me. Very straightforward.
Good hunting.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jan 15 2015, 06:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 15 2015, 01:07 PM) *
Looks good to me. Very straightforward.
Good hunting.

Thanks Ken!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 15 2015, 06:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think you made a very good decision, playing in a band is extremely fun and inspiring!
I have checked your ad and it looks good. I must say that forming a band from scratch might get tricky, especially doing it via ad without a certain existing band members base. If you are looking to play in a band, my suggestion would also be to search for one in parallel so you double your chances of playing in a band. I have relatively recently joined a new band and I did it by scanning ads (for months) until I found a bend that was missing one member and which I really liked and thought I'd fit in nicely. It worked out really well and when you join a band that is already formed and practicing - you skip directly to the "fun stuff" smile.gif From my experience in finding new members for a band, I'd suggest choosing carefully. Usually, most of the people who apply will end up not being really serious about it or they would lack essential skills needed for the position. When selecting band members from those who apply, see who you like the most as a person and then judge their skills. One can always improve guitar skills but they can't change personality smile.gif This is extremely important as you'll be in contact with those people almost on daily basis and you'll be spending a lot of time together. Don't expect though that all band members listen to exactly same kind of music or have similar interests. Some might think that band members need to be "soulmates" or something and usually that is not the case - they just work well together as a team when playing and making music and that is what matters. I think you play really well so you shouldn't have trouble finding a band (either by starting one or joining existing one).

Good luck with the search and please let me know how it goes and if you need any help? smile.gif
I had quite a bit of share of "finding new band members / filling in spots in the band" in the past....oh boy I just remembered some of the auditions laugh.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 15 2015, 06:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jan 15 2015, 08:35 AM) *
Hey yall' I'm ringing in the new year with some new goals. First goal is to stop being so lonely. I've always put off starting/joining a band because of time and other priorities. I still have the same priorities but feel like if I don't start playing with other people soon I'll regret it.

Here's the link to the add I put on Craigslist. Knowing me and my playing do you guys have any suggestions on how to ask the right questions to filter out Craigslist psychos or players that prob won't mesh with me?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/muc/4847902705.html

Hey....You.... Thanks

Make sure you're explicit in what you are looking for. I had to read the entire listing to get the gist of what you're looking for by assembling the following statements.

Paragraph 1: "I'm at an honest intermediate level and would like to find players that can write music."
Paragraph 2: "I want to be apart of a project like Snarky Puppy"
Paragraph 3: "I want you to send me an email if you are intermediate at instrument, or are very creative (musically?)
Paragraph 4: "I want to practice (with you) 1xWeek at my cool place - I need rhyth section, sax and or piano. No druggies/drunks, just fun people. "You need to be tech-savvy so I can send you files".

If I were reading this, my first impression is "I need to like Snarky Puppy music", I need to be intermediate level or very musically creative (song writer?) and available to practice 1xWeek at your place (how far away is that from my place?), and I need to be able to file-share. I also need to be between the ages of 20 and 40 (because you stated your age, but no age requirements).

Is that what you intended to get across?

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jan 15 2015, 07:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 15 2015, 01:30 PM) *
I think you made a very good decision, playing in a band is extremely fun and inspiring!
I have checked your ad and it looks good. I must say that forming a band from scratch might get tricky, especially doing it via ad without a certain existing band members base. If you are looking to play in a band, my suggestion would also be to search for one in parallel so you double your chances of playing in a band. I have relatively recently joined a new band and I did it by scanning ads (for months) until I found a bend that was missing one member and which I really liked and thought I'd fit in nicely. It worked out really well and when you join a band that is already formed and practicing - you skip directly to the "fun stuff" smile.gif From my experience in finding new members for a band, I'd suggest choosing carefully. Usually, most of the people who apply will end up not being really serious about it or they would lack essential skills needed for the position. When selecting band members from those who apply, see who you like the most as a person and then judge their skills. One can always improve guitar skills but they can't change personality smile.gif This is extremely important as you'll be in contact with those people almost on daily basis and you'll be spending a lot of time together. Don't expect though that all band members listen to exactly same kind of music or have similar interests. Some might think that band members need to be "soulmates" or something and usually that is not the case - they just work well together as a team when playing and making music and that is what matters. I think you play really well so you shouldn't have trouble finding a band (either by starting one or joining existing one).

Good luck with the search and please let me know how it goes and if you need any help? smile.gif
I had quite a bit of share of "finding new band members / filling in spots in the band" in the past....oh boy I just remembered some of the auditions laugh.gif

Well said Bogdan! Your right I should open myself up to joining a band too. I'll search for that as well.
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 15 2015, 01:39 PM) *
Make sure you're explicit in what you are looking for. I had to read the entire listing to get the gist of what you're looking for by assembling the following statements.

Paragraph 1: "I'm at an honest intermediate level and would like to find players that can write music."
Paragraph 2: "I want to be apart of a project like Snarky Puppy"
Paragraph 3: "I want you to send me an email if you are intermediate at instrument, or are very creative (musically?)
Paragraph 4: "I want to practice (with you) 1xWeek at my cool place - I need rhyth section, sax and or piano. No druggies/drunks, just fun people. "You need to be tech-savvy so I can send you files".

If I were reading this, my first impression is "I need to like Snarky Puppy music", I need to be intermediate level or very musically creative (song writer?) and available to practice 1xWeek at your place (how far away is that from my place?), and I need to be able to file-share. I also need to be between the ages of 20 and 40 (because you stated your age, but no age requirements).

Is that what you intended to get across?

Yes I guess that's what I want to get across with a the correction of the style. I like elements from all the bands I suggested and would like to get across that Im not set on one specific style. Those were just my examples. Yes if you like snarky puppy then we like similar music. If you hate snarky puppy then yes we probably are too far apart unless there is a good connection through personality and common goals with the band in general.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 15 2015, 08:29 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I have used CL quite a bit over the years, mainly to buy and sell. The problem I have had with it in the past was using the email function for folks to reply. I always got a bunch of spam so I decided to just do what I had seen others do and that is just to disable the email replies and post my phone number instead. That way I never get any spam and I actually seem to get more responses that way as well.
The other thing I noticed is that when people post their phone number as an alternative to the email addy, is the way they post the number, which is by spelling some of the numbers like this for example, 555-5 five five 5. I am not sure why people do it this way but I decided to follow suit just to maybe be on the safe side somehow.
I have never had a problem since I started doing it this way and you can always give someone your email addy after talking to them if there are things you would like to share that way such as additional links to your videos or soundcloud clips etc.
Good luck!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 15 2015, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 16 2015, 12:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jan 15 2015, 10:44 AM) *
Well said Bogdan! Your right I should open myself up to joining a band too. I'll search for that as well.

Yes I guess that's what I want to get across with a the correction of the style. I like elements from all the bands I suggested and would like to get across that Im not set on one specific style. Those were just my examples. Yes if you like snarky puppy then we like similar music. If you hate snarky puppy then yes we probably are too far apart unless there is a good connection through personality and common goals with the band in general.

Good hunting! I've found Craigs list to both work and not work at the same time. It attracts plenty of people, but the quality / personalities that come out of the woodwork are really all over the place. Usually people who post / reply have a desperate "right now need" because of whatever mood they're in, but when the long-term rubber hits the road, if they don't see immediate progress, they bail.

Hope you'er able to land some like minded folk! They're out there, but usually not all at the same time! smile.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jan 16 2015, 08:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well so far 2 drummers contacted me and one I'm playing with Sunday night. He states he's got other players too that might make a good fit. The other guy is from my area and he currently plays with a bass player and there played for 6 years together. Ah who knows maybe I'll play with both of them.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 16 2015, 09:45 PM
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jan 16 2015, 08:35 PM) *
Well so far 2 drummers contacted me and one I'm playing with Sunday night. He states he's got other players too that might make a good fit. The other guy is from my area and he currently plays with a bass player and there played for 6 years together. Ah who knows maybe I'll play with both of them.

Those are good news. I think the option with a drum + bass player sounds worth checking too. I was kinda in that situation with my friend, the drummer and it worked out really well for the band I (and him later on) joined. If drummer and bass player have been playing together for so long, there is a good chance they have really solid groove and play tight which is extremely important. Also, with a bass player and drummer (two instrumentalists which are hard to find) you almost have a full band smile.gif

But, of course in these tips I feel very biased...so smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2015, 10:24 PM
Instructor
Hi Jim! Your publication at craigslist looks really good. I think that nowadays there are many ways to join musicians thanks to social networks and technologies. I remember when I was looking for musicians when I wanted to start my band (around 12 years ago), the only way was the classic a friend of a friend, or some magazines that honestly never worked very good. The recommendation was better in those days. Nowadays, you can instantly know more about a person just checking his Facebook. I think that this "stalker" work is necessary to be done when you are contacted by a musician that wants to try playing with you. Then, once you feel that he is the right person, it's time to meet each other and see how it feels talking and even more important playing together.

Besides Craigslist, I would check on some facebook groups from your area that join the same musical tastes. You can also write some local bands, and music teachers, this also worked in the old days.

Another good way to find the right musicians is start composing music for that project, and sharing it at youtube and facebook. Musicians that look for band get always more attracted when a project seems to be advanced. This because they get safe that the project is serious and that they will be recording and album or playing live soon.

I wish you all the best on this search! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 18 2015, 04:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
So after many many people responding to my add I have found nothing from Craigslist. People want to meet but they have no equipment but an acoustic gtr. I think I need to have more music written before anyone will take me seriously or vice versa.

Good news is I did find a drummer and he's my half brother. That's great because we play nicely together and seem to have similar musical goals.

Playing live music is challenging. Number one is volume levels. Playing with a drummer means you have to play really loud. Then if you want to play lead over top of a rhythm you loop then the amp and speakers must be able to handle that load. My setup is not getting me there. If I really push my amp it blows a fuse or is not loud enough turned down a bit.

Then there's vocal levels....

Anyways I'm working toward the goal of forming a ban but it's no overnight process.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 18 2015, 04:37 PM
Finding a drummer is a very lucky achievement! smile.gif
I think that finding a drummer and bass player for a band is the most difficult task.
Then there are good vocalists which are also "rare".

So, your craigslist effort has surely paid for as you now have a drummer and it should be a bit easier to find more people when you already have a "group" forming up.

I'd suggest justing being persistent and maybe re-think the strategy as you mentioned by searching with more defined band structure/goals, like presenting songs in progress etc.

Playing live is complicated setup wise but man it is FUN! smile.gif
I really love playing loud and nothing can prepare you when practicing at home at bedroom levels for the dynamics and "noises control". This will come with just the experience of playing live music.

Please let me know if you need any help with live setups and suggestions, I've played on some really REALLY crappy gear and "rehearsal studios" quite a bit smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 18 2015, 07:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 18 2015, 10:37 AM) *
Finding a drummer is a very lucky achievement! smile.gif
I think that finding a drummer and bass player for a band is the most difficult task.
Then there are good vocalists which are also "rare".

So, your craigslist effort has surely paid for as you now have a drummer and it should be a bit easier to find more people when you already have a "group" forming up.

I'd suggest justing being persistent and maybe re-think the strategy as you mentioned by searching with more defined band structure/goals, like presenting songs in progress etc.

Playing live is complicated setup wise but man it is FUN! smile.gif
I really love playing loud and nothing can prepare you when practicing at home at bedroom levels for the dynamics and "noises control". This will come with just the experience of playing live music.

Please let me know if you need any help with live setups and suggestions, I've played on some really REALLY crappy gear and "rehearsal studios" quite a bit smile.gif

Ah thanks Bogdan! As you know I'm experimenting with a few things with my equipment and am still gathering more stuff. Soon as I get a semi clear plan I'll post it here. I've got some cool vintage stuff like an all tube Hammond organ that plays 8 types of chords with the push of a button. It's really neat and adds nice bass but it's not loud'nuff. Haha thanks again man!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 22 2015, 04:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
I started writing music for the band and this first song starts with a little organ. I am not a piano player..... but can play somewhat in time. I really like how when you augment the major 3rd and 5th the major tonality seems a little darker.. What do you guys thinks about this progression?

https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/classical-funk-piano-with-gtr

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Feb 22 2015, 04:41 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 2 2015, 03:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
Anyone have an appropriate way of telling someone you don't want to play with them anymore?

This guitar player I'm playing with is so nice and a great attitude and reliable but not able to play the music I'm writing. We're supposed to meet a bass player on Tuesdsy and I'm afraid that he might scare off the bass player. I am very liable to say something stupid.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 2 2015, 11:41 AM
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Mar 2 2015, 03:41 AM) *
Anyone have an appropriate way of telling someone you don't want to play with them anymore?

This guitar player I'm playing with is so nice and a great attitude and reliable but not able to play the music I'm writing. We're supposed to meet a bass player on Tuesdsy and I'm afraid that he might scare off the bass player. I am very liable to say something stupid.

If you are really sure about this, you could just setup a meeting or have a phone call or something with your guitarist and tell him how you feel about his style of playing not matching your composing/band goals.

BTW - bass players are not scared of anything hehe laugh.gif
Just one angle to throw in - the bass player you are meeting would probably be more interested to join a band which has more members than a solo project. This is usually the case since bass players and drummers are "rare" so they get to choose "better offers" in general but it really depends on the person you are meeting.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 22 2015, 04:38 PM) *
I started writing music for the band and this first song starts with a little organ. I am not a piano player..... but can play somewhat in time. I really like how when you augment the major 3rd and 5th the major tonality seems a little darker.. What do you guys thinks about this progression?

https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/classical-funk-piano-with-gtr

Would this be an instrumental piece?

I like the intro. I'd suggest that you maybe keep it really short. For example up until 0:13 sec and then go straight to the main groove/progression. Maybe figure out on the guitar how to arpeggiate those organ chords? Something like intro to song Aeroplane - RHCP. As Dave Navarro would say in an interview about that song - "it is all about getting a more drastic change". The main groove which starts at 1:16 sounds cool. I'm always a fan of such chord progression as it allows a lot of possibilities for a vocalist. Maybe check for the length (how many bars) you'll be playing that chord progression. For example will that function as a verse for vocalist to sing? Or as a verse in an instrumental song? One thing to watch out for is that kind of progression might be more appropriate for a chorus in a song or a shorter verse. It has a small tendency to become too repetitive sounding if you have it loop for too long.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 5 2015, 02:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 2 2015, 05:41 AM) *
If you are really sure about this, you could just setup a meeting or have a phone call or something with your guitarist and tell him how you feel about his style of playing not matching your composing/band goals.

BTW - bass players are not scared of anything hehe laugh.gif
Just one angle to throw in - the bass player you are meeting would probably be more interested to join a band which has more members than a solo project. This is usually the case since bass players and drummers are "rare" so they get to choose "better offers" in general but it really depends on the person you are meeting.

Would this be an instrumental piece?

I like the intro. I'd suggest that you maybe keep it really short. For example up until 0:13 sec and then go straight to the main groove/progression. Maybe figure out on the guitar how to arpeggiate those organ chords? Something like intro to song Aeroplane - RHCP. As Dave Navarro would say in an interview about that song - "it is all about getting a more drastic change". The main groove which starts at 1:16 sounds cool. I'm always a fan of such chord progression as it allows a lot of possibilities for a vocalist. Maybe check for the length (how many bars) you'll be playing that chord progression. For example will that function as a verse for vocalist to sing? Or as a verse in an instrumental song? One thing to watch out for is that kind of progression might be more appropriate for a chorus in a song or a shorter verse. It has a small tendency to become too repetitive sounding if you have it loop for too long.

I did have to let him go and I felt ok about it afterwards. It's kinda like dudes breaking up. Just weird.

Good thing is I changed my ad after receiving hate email. I'm not sure why people feel the need to go out of their way to be mean but they do, they're everywhere just waiting. Their tongues dip into the toxic medicine they feed themselves.

Anyways the new ad attracted a bunch of attention and have met some new people and have lined up more. I tried out a bassist but our styles were too different and we did not mesh. We still played for 2 hours.

Onto that track, I'm not sure where it's going yet. I did begin to spend time trying to write lyrics and practice singing but it was getting too complicated. So I'm just focusing on the instrumental side of it until "the band" has a good grip of the parts. Then in my practice I'll work on lyrics and melody.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 6 2015, 05:23 AM
Learning Rock Star
Tonight I was screwing around with an E maj kind of thing and it brought out a lot of inspiration. Here's the video

After singing it a few times I sang 2 or three other parts that all connected together real nicely. If I can play guitar like my singing then I think it will be great!

I'd post that voice memo but I'm not sure how easily.

Bogdan how would you play bass for something like this? Any tips on playing this stuff with you? If you were jamming and I played this how would you respond?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 6 2015, 03:28 PM
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Mar 6 2015, 05:23 AM) *
Tonight I was screwing around with an E maj kind of thing and it brought out a lot of inspiration. Here's the video

After singing it a few times I sang 2 or three other parts that all connected together real nicely. If I can play guitar like my singing then I think it will be great!

I'd post that voice memo but I'm not sure how easily.

Bogdan how would you play bass for something like this? Any tips on playing this stuff with you? If you were jamming and I played this how would you respond?

That sounds like a very cool song idea/riff! smile.gif

If I would be jamming with you, I'd find the underlying chord(s) behind those licks and probably stick to a driving, root note driven groove using mostly straight 8th notes. I think that would compliment the main guitar rhythm and reinforce the pedal note bottom which guitar is gravitating towards as well in between the riff/lick notes on higher strings. Since guitar is playing a lot/complex lines, bass would need to be as simple as possible to provide good basis for a song.

I'd play something similar to a bass line in this song:

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:30 PM