> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Pop Rock Solo - Beginner , Lesson By Stephane Lucarelli
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

ClaudioStrat
Apr 7 2021, 06:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Pop Rock Solo - Beginner by Stephane Lucarelli

Hi,
worked on this very nice lesson, can probably do a bit better in a couple of spots when I listen to it, but anyways here is my take for feedback.
Thanks in advance!

<div class="youtube-embed"></div>

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ClaudioStrat: Apr 7 2021, 06:11 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 7 2021, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 10 2021, 04:20 PM
GMC Founder
Very nice!

This is extremely promising -

Your tone is super tasty and I love your relaxed timing!

The most pressing thing to work on here is your bending. At the end of the piece you play several bends that are out of pitch and that lower the overall musical experience from your take.

From what I can tell, your bending technique looks pretty solid though - so I would say it is mostly a matter of keeping the hard practicing up - and your ears and fingers will eventually sync to get the bending pitch right.

The second thing that is giving your problems here is your hand sync. For most part it is pretty decent, though we can see exaggerated left hand finger movements ( Gab touches upon this as well). The later will make it harder for you since your movements could be smaller / more effective and thereby facilitate the faster passages.

As soon as there is a fast passage the syncing issues become more prominent. There is no real quick fix here - but it's important to not move on to practicing the faster runs before you can play them well at lower tempos.

And generally speaking - the more you minimise and relax your hand movements - the faster you can increase speed.

Overall you are doing good here - you get a 7 from me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2021, 07:57 PM
GMC:er
First off well done on learning this piece and playing it with such feeling. I have really enjoyed watching you progress in BOOTCAMP and it's great to see you making gains outside of bootcamp as well! Without repeating all that's been said, let me say your hand synch here is good and your muting is also on point preventing extra string noise.

There are a couple of issues that stand out. There is a bend at 47 seconds that isn't quite to pitch and another one right after at 48, then again at 52 seconds.

This is not a huge problem as it's easy to fix. To get the right note in your ear before playing the piece. Simply play the note you are trying to bend to. Repeat it several times to get it stuck in your ear. Don't play it as a bend, but just find that note on the fret board and play it by itself. Once you have the note in your ear, then practice bending to pitch to hit that note. This is a simple drill to help your ear find the pitch you are trying to bend to smile.gif

Keep practicing and super congrats on all your progress so far! Solid 7 from me!

Todd

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 4 2021, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

This is an easy lesson in a sense of speed and number of notes. That's why it's especially important to focus on articulation. I guess this is usualy the purpose of lessons with less notes. You can "squeeze" more of your articulation skills.

General advices:

- spend more time on stretching strings and tuning - some notes sound little out of tune and a good tuning makes performance get like 50% of more pro feel

- Try to learn to leave fingers on frets when you play more than one note on single string. It's easier to split the string tension on more fingers - especially on string bending or vibrato. For example when you play your ring finger, you should hold index and middle as well, and make all three to press the string or hold it while bending.

- Try to copy right hand picking or strumming direction. Notice how Stephane's hand is "in the groove" with teh track. His picking is not random

- Try to use warmer tone. Stephane likes to use atone that has very little breakup but besides some treble cut with tone pot, he definitely uses his hand to control the warmth of his tone. At some spots you are in the good direction with this. Just roll off some treble in your guitar and you'll be closer to original.

Let's see what are the differences between yours and Stephanes approach:

- Second note (d) should be cut short

- There is a soft vibrato missing at 0:05 (d note again)

- 0:07 Stephane is doing a quarter tone bend. Not a vibrato as you did

- 0:10 there should be legato between d and e notes

- 0:12 that's the spot when tuning problems get exposed better

-0:26 this lick has totally different flow. Try to copy Stephanes hand motion and you'll understand the difference. Also...first note should be short - you played straight forward and it changed the feel of to pattern.

- 0:29 this bend should end earlier. You should release it more smoothly and give more time for the released note to ring

There are some more mistakes but they we can shorten the analysis by saying that you need to bring more attention to details. You apply different ornaments and timing to some licks. You randomly change legato with pick slanting.

I think there's a plenty of work to be done here even if it seemed to be simple lesson. Try to take as much profit as you can. Think that the moment you feel you're done with the lesson, is actually a moment when the real work begins. Once you feel you got the main structure, you can focus on tiny details and that's where the real fun starts smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
May 29 2021, 10:18 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.5

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:27 PM