Quick Licks # 78 - Pedal Point Blues Lick
Todd Simpson
May 4 2019, 08:41 PM
GMC:er
Let's combine the Neoclassical Pedal Pointe technique with a blues lick. This will require you to do a "finger roll" in order to to play notes on the same fret on two different strings. It's a very unique way to run a blues scale lick that I"ve not heard anyone else do. Combining things like neoclassical techniques and traditional blues licks, is a good way to help you define your own "sound". The more that is unique about your sound the better! Give it a whirl smile.gif

Attached File  78.gp5 ( 1.63K ) Number of downloads: 13713

Attached Image

Hit me up with any questions!!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
May 17 2019, 09:57 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 17 2019, 11:03 PM
Tricky eh? smile.gif This one sounds really simple until you go to play it. Its more tricky than i it first seems. Doing a pedal point with a blues scale is something I've not heard done much which is great as it is something that sound somewhat new. You've got a good handle on it! The last few notes could use a polish but it's the first descending bit with the chromatic descending pattern that I'm most concerned about and you got it down. Try using this ins a solo!!
BTW well done on that guitar! She looks great and sounds great. It came together really well. Congrats!

You just...LEVELED UP!!! *Also you are still our TOP DAWG having done more Quick Licks than anybody else EVER. Congrats! Start of Honor AWARDED!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ May 17 2019, 04:57 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 17 2019, 11:04 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 24 2019, 05:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 Sarge

https://youtu.be/yaqmG2AnU1s

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 26 2019, 03:07 AM
That's the one! This is a very handy blues lick that is a bit different than other blues licks that might use the same notes. It's got that vertical finger roll sort of thing that keeps many players from even attempting it. Vertical finger roll bits are tricky for some folks. Not for you clearly. See if you can add this in your next blues solo if possible. It makes a blues lead have a different vibe as it's not a lick you hear very often. It still sounds 'bluesy", it's just a bit more technical. smile.gif
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 24 2019, 12:58 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 26 2019, 12:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,

Rolls are pretty easy from a thicker string to a thinner one but the other way is hard. I guess some people just bar them but I imagine it's hard to control the unwanted note.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 27 2019, 03:35 AM
I do a "semi" bar where I leave the finger in place and just shift where the pressure goes. It requires just a bit of control on the finger since its easy to fret the unwanted note at the same time as you mentioned. I think this is why we don't see more folks doing licks like this. It's prone to having the unwanted note show up and sound like a chord instead of a lick.
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 26 2019, 07:10 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

Rolls are pretty easy from a thicker string to a thinner one but the other way is hard. I guess some people just bar them but I imagine it's hard to control the unwanted note.

Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:40 PM