Picking Hand
PickerFlicker
Apr 11 2009, 04:38 AM
GMC:er
Ok, Ive watched videos ad seen friends play and always wanted to ask....

Whats the best method to rest your picking hand on the guitar?

Some rest their pinky below the pickup to provide anchorage....
Some float their hand and use their forearm as an anchor....

Im a floater but Im starting to use my pinky, which feels ackward, but it does train your picking hand to strain and.. pain is gain, actually from a scientific perspective, the brain learns more from pain and strain so relatively, it will learn to adapt and provide better accuracy. u think?

Anyway, whats your insight into the picking hand placement?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 11 2009, 05:04 AM
I would say either can be effective. The one thing that all great picker have though, is very relaxed hands. I don't agree with your pain theories.

Oh btw, your avatar is going to be nixed by Kris I expect, mine was much milder, and it was. I mean I like it, she's cute. but my dollar says you will be asked to can it. Unless that is you. Then you will probably be asked to post more photos, with even less clothes on.

I uploaded your avatar here, so people will know what I was talking about after you are asked to change it, maybe one picture of her will be allowed here for posterity and nobody will edit it out, she is cute, I don't want to lose her, I'm in love.

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 11 2009, 05:17 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 11 2009, 05:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would say what ever feels the best and most comfortable for you.

I am a floater I guess also but, pain isn't what you want when your picking so be careful with that.

Accuracy means nothing but if you hurt yourself and can't play because you forced yourself to do something that isn't comfortable, that isn't cool.

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Apr 11 2009, 05:29 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 11 2009, 05:26 AM
Here is someone who I think does it well, watch his fingers, how they float. I think he rides them some on the surface, but oh so lightly. This is Marcus, he does lessons here, a member of the band Blind Guardian. There are others with great relaxed hands. Lian from Argintina has that, and Ian from South Africa. There are others. Not many here place the pinkie, I can' think of any actually. I know Batio does, but Batio I think is genetically unique, I don't think there are a lot of Batio genes in the human race, not on that level.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/hammer_on_dude/

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 11 2009, 05:26 AM

+Quote Post
PickerFlicker
Apr 11 2009, 05:40 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 11 2009, 12:08 AM) *
I would say what ever feels the best and most comfortable for you.

I am a floater I guess also but, pain isn't what you want when your picking so be careful with that.

Accuracy means nothing if you hurt yourself and can't play because you forced yourself to do something that isn't comfortable.

Well, its pain that Im trying a new position with my pick hand. Its not that it brings me to tears but its a matter of getting used to.

The brain tends to understand distance and position (maybe a better word for strain) and with the pinky anchored, i feel the strain on my wrist and fingers. In time, it will go, but the mind will recognize the strain with position and hit the right string. No?

Im already finding this out with laying my pinky down below the pickup. The heavy strain is on the top e string, because of my pinky anchor, my hands stretches or my wrist turns upwards, this makes my brain recognize the position. If i float me hand, resting my forearm, the feeling i get is not that percise.
Although, it could be that this is a new technique for me and its more noticeable, but I cant help but feel, this is learning my brain to know accurate position because there is a physical demand on my hand to preform and not just a swiftt movement from my forearm.

As for my avatar.. she the most sexyest girl on the planet, but I changed her for this one, the second most sexiest chick on earth, ... she loves guitars and guitar players! smile.gif

QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 11 2009, 12:04 AM) *
I would say either can be effective. The one thing that all great picker have though, is very relaxed hands. I don't agree with your pain theories.

Oh btw, your avatar is going to be nixed by Kris I expect, mine was much milder, and it was. I mean I like it, she's cute. but my dollar says you will be asked to can it. Unless that is you. Then you will probably be asked to post more photos, with even less clothes on.

I uploaded your avatar here, so people will know what I was talking about after you are asked to change it, maybe one picture of her will be allowed here for posterity and nobody will edit it out, she is cute, I don't want to lose her, I'm in love.

Attached Image

Dude.. she's right here, waiting....

http://www.bullz-eye.com/gm/2009/Veronika_Zemanova/

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 11 2009, 05:44 AM
You might read this, I mentioned it here nearly 2 years ago I think. I still very strongly believe in this, the pdf document referenced here. It pretty much describes how your brain learns, and the bottom line, doing bad things screws up the neural structures involved, bad practicing actually sets you backwards. All my experience since I first mentioned it in the forum supports this.

http://www.newenglandconservatory.edu/stud...chbyGebrian.pdf

edit: fixed link

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 11 2009, 05:51 AM

+Quote Post
PickerFlicker
Apr 11 2009, 05:57 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 11 2009, 12:44 AM) *
You might read this thread, I mentioned it here nearly 2 years ago I think. I still very strongly believe in this, the pdf document referenced here. It pretty much describes how your brain learns, and the bottom line, doing bad things screws up the neural structures involved, bad practicing actually sets you backwards. I firmly believe this, and all my experience since I first mentioned it in the forum.

I think your not getting me. Its not wrong. Its not a bad thing. Having a different technique than yourself is not wrong, but different. Difference is not a mistake.

Some would say stretching out your fingers to hit a five fret chord or tapping with eight fingers is not natural and is wrong. Its all what u teach your mind to accept. If you do a certain something and make it habitual, your mind succumbs to the fact that this is the way it is, this is what needs to be done.

Pain and strain is the biggest dealer in life's lessons. Ask any psychiatrist. The mind protects or adapts to pain.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 11 2009, 08:37 PM
Instructor
Possibly you just have a different view on the whole practice/pain topic, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. The only thing that matters is the result. You should be able in the end to play very relaxed, and some pain/strain is necessary if you go higher the tempo. There is a limit of course, no one should push to hard, cause when the muscles are in pain, it is usually a sign to stop and rest a bit so the muscles can adapt to new working state. Take it slow, step by step, and when you see you muscles are straining during extensive workouts, it is a good idea to let them settle a bit, massage the fingers, and continue, cause when muscles are tired they will fret the wrong way, and the brain will tend to pickup that wrong way as well. Precision is the most important thing in the end, no matter how you get to it, but also try to keep your fingers healthy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
vampire18
Apr 11 2009, 09:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
i don't think MAB should be seen as a role model because he picks with his less dominant hand and a bunch of other things that make him very unique.
i think that if its possible to play without the pinky on the pickguard, and we know its possible than there is no real reason to put it there. its just a handicap that slows you down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Apr 11 2009, 09:18 PM
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Apr 11 2009, 09:07 PM) *
i don't think MAB should be seen as a role model because he picks with his less dominant hand and a bunch of other things that make him very unique.
i think that if its possible to play without the pinky on the pickguard, and we know its possible than there is no real reason to put it there. its just a handicap that slows you down.

A matter of taste really - as it's been said earlier. Even Petrucci rests his pinky on the guitar body although he is not anchoring but moving around with his hand. I don't think it slows you down. It can be weird in the beginning but later on it only provides precision.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Startear
Apr 11 2009, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 11 2009, 05:44 AM) *
You might read this, I mentioned it here nearly 2 years ago I think. I still very strongly believe in this, the pdf document referenced here. It pretty much describes how your brain learns, and the bottom line, doing bad things screws up the neural structures involved, bad practicing actually sets you backwards. All my experience since I first mentioned it in the forum supports this.

edit: fixed link

interesting stuff wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:06 PM