Very Important Question About A Guitar
Nobody
Jun 3 2008, 05:42 PM
GMC:er
Hi there guys(and gals),

now I'm in a very complicated situation. I have a brand new Fender Mexican Standart Stratocaster for which soon I intend to buy pickups.
But now I played on another Fender Standart Mex Strat which already has 2 of the 3 pickups I want to buy on it. It sounded really great and it is for sale. But the thing is that the other Strat is 12 years old.
If I sell my guitar I will be able to buy the other Strat, but I don't really know if I should do so.
Are guitars getting better with time or should I keep my Start and upgrade it? It will cost me more but it will be brand new..
Would be very thankful for good opinions on this one :]

Cheers,
Hristian

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Fran
Jun 3 2008, 05:50 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It depends, I read good guitar get better with time because the wood gets drier, but it has to be a good guitar in the first place, a bad guitar won't get good with time no matter how old it is.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 3 2008, 07:25 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Time can make some guitars better..But I don't know...I would buy new pickups if I like the guitar all around (comfortable to play and everything)..Seems like a drag to sell a guitar in order to buy another one (just because of pickups)

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Pi38
Jun 3 2008, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't sell my guitar. It's one of those things that you could regret for the rest of your life, especially if it's an important guitar to you.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 3 2008, 08:20 PM
Instructor
I don't think that guitar can be better than yours, it's not like it's 40 year old american strat so you can count on a quality production and hardened wood. If your guitar fits you nicely, upgrade the pups and you will be happy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 3 2008, 09:49 PM
Instructor
Guitars might get better over the years, but i would probably have kept the new Fender and replaced the pickups. Especially if you really like how your current Fender feels.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Nobody
Jun 3 2008, 09:58 PM
Well that's the thing that the two guitars are absolutely the same. I feel very confortable with both of them..
And I can't say that my guitar is so important to me because I have it for 2 months. I couldn't sell my old guitar because she has been with me for years but the new one..
So I really don't know :/

Cheers,
Hristian

P.S. btw my band's other guitarist who is 32 years old musician said that older guitars were made better than new ones so I should take the other Strat but... I'm still not sure.

This post has been edited by Nobody: Jun 3 2008, 10:00 PM

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 3 2008, 11:50 PM
I think you should stay with your new strat and enjoy it..You can change pickups when you save some money..That old strat has to be played a lot , in what condition are frets etc ? I mean its just not worth it....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nobody
Jun 4 2008, 12:51 AM
Well come to think of it I think so too.. I really like the look of old guitars with all the scratches and stuff but I think that I'll feel a lot better when MY strat becomes old in my hands..
I decided - I'll stay with my strat and upgrade it when I can :]

Thanks for helping me not making a mistake, because now I think that it would have been one.

Cheers,
Hristian

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
Jun 4 2008, 01:48 AM
I definitely agree with your decision! cool.gif

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
SensE
Jun 4 2008, 01:56 AM
I think so. Stay with your decision

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 4 2008, 06:04 AM
Singing Instructor
I thinks that guitars are not violins in this matter,as Ivan sad when it comes to guitars it is all a bout different approach in production.So Am glad you decided yo upgrade your guitar smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 4 2008, 11:56 AM
Thats great man smile.gif Much better to leave your own energy in a new instrument and let it age in your own hands wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:05 AM