Mode Theory Question
John72
Jan 22 2012, 07:59 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm still trying to get familiar with modes and stuff, but something has me confused. I have some sheet music with chord changes, and a tabbed solo to go with it. It also has what scales the tab is using with each chord. But, when I try to look at the scale, it doesn't match the notes in the tab, so....

I think the progression is in Em (the music has one sharp in the key signature.) The progression goes like this (with the mode they list in parenthesis):

Em (harmonic minor)
Em7 (Dorian)
D (Natural minor)
A (Dorian)
Em (Blues)
Em7 (Phrygian)
D (Dorian)
A (Mixolydian)
F#m (Major)
A (Major)
B (Major)
E (Major)
F#m (Major)
A (Mixolydian)
E (Mixolydian)
E (Major Pentatonic)

So, in looking at the chords and the scales, does that mean use E harmonic minor over the Em, D Natural Minor over the D, A Mixolydian over the A? Or should all the scaled be E? I think there may be some passing tones in there that could be confusing the issue, so I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right scales.

Thanks for any help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- John72   Mode Theory Question   Jan 22 2012, 07:59 PM
- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (John72 @ Jan 22 2012, 06:59 PM) I...   Jan 22 2012, 08:17 PM
- - John72   QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jan 22 2012, 07:17 ...   Jan 22 2012, 11:45 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:11 PM