9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Degroot Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Jun 24 2012, 07:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 22 2012, 04:08 PM) *
Sounds good to me! I am ready to get shredy. smile.gif

I think I answered the question I had. It is the post one before the recording I put down the other day.
It is a question about 7th chords.

I accidentally came across this chord and was playing arpeggios in this shape. My question was what chord would this be?

B-D-F#-A#

My answer is B maj/min7. Am I correct?

Hello!
So to answer your question B -D -F# - A# is not B maj/mi7
Because it has a minor third D
So let's try to analyze it
B - D is a minor third
D - F# Is a major third
B - F# Major fifth
If this would be it we will have B minor chord
But since we have A# which is major 7th
It will be called B minor major 7
This chord is coming from B harmonic minor
B - C# - D - E - F# - G - A#
I hope that helps!
P.S. Will post my take in a few hours! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 25 2012, 05:08 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 24 2012, 06:48 AM) *
Hello!
So to answer your question B -D -F# - A# is not B maj/mi7
Because it has a minor third D
So let's try to analyze it
B - D is a minor third
D - F# Is a major third
B - F# Major fifth
If this would be it we will have B minor chord
But since we have A# which is major 7th
It will be called B minor major 7
This chord is coming from B harmonic minor
B - C# - D - E - F# - G - A#
I hope that helps!
P.S. Will post my take in a few hours! smile.gif

Yes, that helps! Thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 26 2012, 02:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 25 2012, 04:08 AM) *
Yes, that helps! Thanks!

The track that you have recorded disappeared!! Can you please post it again?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 26 2012, 08:38 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 26 2012, 01:39 AM) *
The track that you have recorded disappeared!! Can you please post it again?

If you don't mind I'd like to record my part over again before we move on to the next step!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 27 2012, 09:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 26 2012, 07:38 AM) *
If you don't mind I'd like to record my part over again before we move on to the next step!

Sounds good! Go for it! I am looking forward to hear your take!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 27 2012, 07:58 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 27 2012, 08:36 AM) *
Sounds good! Go for it! I am looking forward to hear your take!

Ok, here is a new one connecting the arpeggios. Tried to play this as clean as I could and hopefully made it sound a little more interesting than the last one. Can't wait to hear the next take! smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/alex-feather-degroot-jam-2-1

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Jun 27 2012, 07:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 28 2012, 12:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 27 2012, 06:58 PM) *
Ok, here is a new one connecting the arpeggios. Tried to play this as clean as I could and hopefully made it sound a little more interesting than the last one. Can't wait to hear the next take! smile.gif

Beautiful take!!! Very very good! I will add mine today! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 1 2012, 02:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 27 2012, 06:58 PM) *

So I have got a new challenge for you!
This one will be very tricky! smile.gif
I would like you to play over this track using only one box in only one position

This exercise will help you to realize how many thing hidden in such a small amount of space!
For example:
Here is A7 arpeggio

Or G major7 Arpeggio

I would like you to find the other 5
Dmaj7-Emi7-F#mi7-Bmi7-C#mi7b5
Also pentatonics are here too!
Here is E minor or G major pentatonic

Having limited space will actually open up your mind more! Try it out!
For this take you free to use any scales or arpeggios!
Here is my take!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/degroot-1
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 1 2012, 04:28 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Hi Alex,
This will definitely put my mind to the test. I will try and be as creative as possible inside the one position. Should be fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 2 2012, 06:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 1 2012, 03:28 PM) *
Hi Alex,
This will definitely put my mind to the test. I will try and be as creative as possible inside the one position. Should be fun!

It will be fun! I am excited to hear what you will come up with!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 7 2012, 05:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 1 2012, 03:28 PM) *
Hi Alex,

Hi! I just wanted to follow up and see how the challenge coming together? Do you need any help?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 7 2012, 06:50 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hi Alex! This was a fun challenge and a very cool way of improvising. I also wanted to mention how I love how you open that phrase in your last take. Its sounds so catchy how it connects with my last note. Well, hope you enjoy my newest take.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/alex-feather-degroot-jam-2

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 8 2012, 01:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 7 2012, 05:50 PM) *
Hi Alex! This was a fun challenge and a very cool way of improvising. I also wanted to mention how I love how you open that phrase in your last take. Its sounds so catchy how it connects with my last note. Well, hope you enjoy my newest take.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/alex-feather-degroot-jam-2

Very nice take!! I like your phrases and the sound! Very nice job!
So I think it's time to switch the track!!!
This one has chord changes!
C6, Am9, Dm9, G11, C, Am7, Bm7, D7, G6, G6, F#m7, B9, E, G7#5.
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/jazzy

Let's work on this chord progression If we will analyze the first three chords we will get this:
C6 - C - E - G - A
Ami9 - A - C - E - G - B
Dmi9 - D - F - A - C - E
You can play C major scale over it
or A minor, D minor, E minor pentatonics

I would like you to analyze the rest of the chords we are going diatonic only so no melodic or harmonic minor yet!
But we will be using this track for those as well!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 9 2012, 05:14 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero

That chord progression is very complex! I'll have to do a lot of studying on this one. I like the sound of it and look forward to the challenge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 9 2012, 05:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 9 2012, 04:14 AM) *
That chord progression is very complex! I'll have to do a lot of studying on this one. I like the sound of it and look forward to the challenge!

Let me know if you need help analyzing it! smile.gif I know it's hard but we will have a lot of fun playing over it!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 10 2012, 05:41 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hi Alex,
I've been analyzing these chords. So, here is my answers so far and maybe you can help with the rest. I'm not sure if I'm totally getting it yet.

As you mention: C6, Am9, Dm9 chords can be played with C maj, A min scales plus Dmin and E min pentatonics.

As I look further I see I can use these same scales over Dm9, G11, C, and Amin7.

Now we switch it up and can play Dmajor or B minor scales over Bm7, D7, G6, F#min7 progression. Also G major or E minor can be played over G6 chord?

Now things get unclear for me. B9 chord is played with B-D#-A#-C#-F#. My answer here is F# maj and D# minor scales.

Then E major chord can be played with Emaj and C# minor scale....

and finally we have G7#5. I don't have an answer for this one. I believe the chord is made up of G-B-F-E#. I'm guessing I don't play a major or minor scales with this one?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 10 2012, 06:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 10 2012, 04:41 AM) *
Hi Alex,
I've been analyzing these chords. So, here is my answers so far and maybe you can help with the rest. I'm not sure if I'm totally getting it yet.

As you mention: C6, Am9, Dm9 chords can be played with C maj, A min scales plus Dmin and E min pentatonics.

As I look further I see I can use these same scales over Dm9, G11, C, and Amin7.

Now we switch it up and can play Dmajor or B minor scales over Bm7, D7, G6, F#min7 progression. Also G major or E minor can be played over G6 chord?

Now things get unclear for me. B9 chord is played with B-D#-A#-C#-F#. My answer here is F# maj and D# minor scales.

Then E major chord can be played with Emaj and C# minor scale....

and finally we have G7#5. I don't have an answer for this one. I believe the chord is made up of G-B-F-E#. I'm guessing I don't play a major or minor scales with this one?

Ok so here is the answer:
C6, Am9, Dm9, G11, - For this chord progression you can play:
C major scale, A minor/D minor/Eminor pentatonic

C, Am7, Bm7, D7, G6, G6 - C lydian A minor/B minor/ E minor pentatonic

F#m7, B9, - F# Dorian /Bmajor/Emajor/F#minor pentatonic
E, G7#5. - E Harmonic minor

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 11 2012, 04:14 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Is there a "easy" system for coming up with what scale can be used over a chord? I'm probably making it more difficult than it really is. I'm okay with figuring out what notes are used in a chord. I basically had zero theory knowledge before I joined GMC. Thanks in advance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 11 2012, 05:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 11 2012, 03:14 PM) *
Is there a "easy" system for coming up with what scale can be used over a chord? I'm probably making it more difficult than it really is. I'm okay with figuring out what notes are used in a chord. I basically had zero theory knowledge before I joined GMC. Thanks in advance.

Modes the easiest system! Just use modes over each chord!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 16 2012, 07:01 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Here is an example of the first ideas I have come up with. Playing with a cleaner tone than I usually do.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/jazz-funk

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:03 PM