4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Slipknot, Good Or Bad?
uberIbanez
Feb 21 2008, 03:49 AM
GMC:er
slipknot is terrible. i think Opeth the best band of all time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 21 2008, 04:04 AM
I agree that Opeth is really great, no offense though, but Nile seems really cookie cutter to me, I think there are much better "American" heavy metal bands (Dream Theater, Symphony X).

And yea, with the guitar magazine thing, guitar magazines always seem to be biased when it comes to Dimebag and anything to do with him, hence the massive promotion of his Dean Guitars.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Feb 21 2008, 04:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Feb 21 2008, 04:23 AM
I'm not a fan of metal in general, especially the heavier stuff. I find that almost all of it is completely unmusical, and is just around due to popularity. But, I think that bands like Slipknot are at the very bottom of the pile. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 21 2008, 04:29 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 20 2008, 05:24 PM) *
They aren't my favorite, but aren't too bad. I enjoyed their song off Guitar Hero 3, I forget the name though. And yea, I do think they have way too many members, 2 drummers is unnecessary, same with turntables, 3 guitars, 3 vocalist, etc, etc, etc. However I don't see anything wrong with nu-metal as a whole genre. My favorite band from the genre, Linkin Park, just mixes some rap elements will rock. I find it humorous how people bash LP then praise RATM. If anything, mixing in some rap elements is just adding new innovations to music, therefore making it progressive. Hell, even Dream Theater has rapcore influenced interludes in some songs,

I used to be into LP when hybrid theory came out, but I really don't like them anymore. All their stuff sounds the same to me (as someone mentioned that seems to be a trend among nu-metal bands, at least in my ears). Rage is an entirely different beast. Why do people bash LP then praise Rage? Well, about the only thing they have in common is they they both have rap. Other than that rage is, as I said, entirely different. So I think people are bashing the lyrics, music etc and not just the fact that it has rap in it... just my opinion though.

As far as "nu metal" bands go, I can listen to some deftones and system of a down though. A friend of mine played some disturbed in the car the other day and I couldn't stand it... used to like them too, but all their songs sound exactly the same... and its way over produced, especially the vocals.

Sorry, not a big nu metal fan tongue.gif There's some exceptions but I don't like most of it...

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 21 2008, 04:32 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Feb 20 2008, 10:23 PM) *
I'm not a fan of metal in general, especially the heavier stuff. I find that almost all of it is completely unmusical, and is just around due to popularity. But, I think that bands like Slipknot are at the very bottom of the pile. wink.gif

Hmmm I wouldn't agree with that. Metal began in the 70s/80s as a very underground, not mainstream thing. While theres obviously a lot of commercial metal now, I don't understand what you mean by "just around due to popularity" tongue.gif I won't even get into how musical metal can be biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 21 2008, 04:35 AM
Learning Rock Star
You say it's only around because it's popular, but isn't that the same with all music? huh.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
JukeboxHero
Feb 21 2008, 04:36 AM
They have a couple of good songs as does A7X but I don't see why they are so popular. Slipknot is not that musically talented. I'd give them a 4/10.

--------------------
Look left------->-------------->------------>-----------> I said left!!!!!

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Feb 21 2008, 04:43 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Feb 20 2008, 07:32 PM) *
Hmmm I wouldn't agree with that. Metal began in the 70s/80s as a very underground, not mainstream thing. While theres obviously a lot of commercial metal now, I don't understand what you mean by "just around due to popularity" tongue.gif I won't even get into how musical metal can be biggrin.gif

I do like some of it, but most of it just sounds horrible to me. They seem to have given up on any musical aspect and just have gone for making it as heavy, or as fast, as they can. Especially when screaming or growling is involved, I just feel they start to forget about making it sound good at all. There's tons of songs out there that I think have the potential to be decent songs, but then they ruin with screaming/growling. But, I don't know. It could just be that it's not my cup of tea. wink.gif

As for the popularity thing, I mean it seems to me that there's an awful lot of people (particularly among teens) that listen to metal just to be able to say they listen to metal. You know, so they can talk about how "metal" or "hardcore" they are, that kind of thing.

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 21 2008, 05:14 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Feb 20 2008, 10:43 PM) *
I do like some of it, but most of it just sounds horrible to me. They seem to have given up on any musical aspect and just have gone for making it as heavy, or as fast, as they can. Especially when screaming or growling is involved, I just feel they start to forget about making it sound good at all. There's tons of songs out there that I think have the potential to be decent songs, but then they ruin with screaming/growling. But, I don't know. It could just be that it's not my cup of tea. wink.gif

As for the popularity thing, I mean it seems to me that there's an awful lot of people (particularly among teens) that listen to metal just to be able to say they listen to metal. You know, so they can talk about how "metal" or "hardcore" they are, that kind of thing.

Thats true about people listening to metal for the wrong reasons, but they're a minority... Metal is just like any genre though, the music is a vehicle for whatever the musician is trying to say (whether its instrumental or not). I'm just trying to say, a song can be great whether its metal, pop, blues jazz or rap.

On a side note, I used to hate the whole growling thing too, but listening to Opeth has changed that for me tongue.gif Mikael is really an amazing musician IMO.. combining jazz and blues among other things into his metal.. but I won't get too far into that, my point is I had to learn to like the growling and I still don't like a lot of people doing it, but I think its pretty cool done right.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Feb 21 2008, 05:45 AM
no offense wink.gif ..personaly i dont like them...thought they make a good mask for halloween laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/guitar4ace.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe><iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/major%20nelson.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 21 2008, 11:07 AM
Awful

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 21 2008, 11:08 AM
QUOTE (uberIbanez @ Feb 21 2008, 02:49 AM) *

They would be up there if that muppet Steven Wilson hadn't turned them into a sissy band.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 21 2008, 11:15 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I love them, I think they are so funny in a clown-funny way. Turn off the sound and watch this. I put great value a good laugh so I have to say they are good smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 21 2008, 11:17 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 21 2008, 10:15 AM) *
I love them, I think they are so funny in a clown-funny way. Turn off the sound and watch this. I put great value a good laugh so I have to say they are good smile.gif

But 2 of the members don't do anything. They just run round the stage jumping around. It's like a children's play area on stage when they play.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Feb 21 2008, 11:26 AM
If I'm in the right mood I really enjoy Slipknot, just for absurd heaviness. But I do have to be in the right mood and I struggle to listen to a whole album right the way through.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 21 2008, 12:10 PM
Singing Instructor
I love slipknot...for a whole year I listen only them...I like them because I don't expect fast solo or something like that...just aggressive energy...and "Before I forget"..is one of these songs...so my answer is GOOD...smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 21 2008, 12:13 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I dont dislike them but dont really like them either tongue.gif

mick thompson has some cool riffs and some weird tricks but not it doesnt really float my boat....must admit Corey taylor has a sweet voice but again- dont like it all the time.

Duality is pretty cool i guess....

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Feb 21 2008, 12:19 PM
QUOTE (uberIbanez @ Feb 21 2008, 03:49 AM) *

I'm sorry, but this must be the best post in GMC history.

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 21 2008, 12:20 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 21 2008, 11:15 AM) *

That vid with the sound turned off made my day, haha. They look like their having some sort of seizures.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 21 2008, 12:22 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Feb 21 2008, 11:19 AM) *
I'm sorry, but this must be the best post in GMC history.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:39 AM