2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pre-requistes For Sweeping?
opeth.db
Jan 12 2009, 10:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Guys...

I would like to start to dive into the art of sweep picking and was just curious of what should I have either mastered or begin to understand abouit it before I begin?

In other words what other technique's should I be good at before I begin? smile.gif

Thanks
Dan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 12 2009, 10:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Check out my mtp thread Adam has done a couple of videos for me there very informative biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 12 2009, 10:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
Just start with Pavel's sweeping lessons, sweeping is about muscle memory so all you can do is practice sweeps to become good at sweeping

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 12 2009, 10:36 PM
GMC:er
If you are talking about sweeping arpeggios, then ofc you should check the triads/chords theory stuff (if you're not sure about them). Other than that, sweeping is a whole new technique (maybe you have some experience in economy picking though)

My advice would be to start mastering the 2 basic arpeggios (major and minor) - these you can find in almost all sweeping lessons on GMC. Try only the 3 string shapes first. This can be useful because it 1. sounds good 2. contains all notes of the triad 3. already introduces the basic motion you'll have to apply every time but it is still more simple than a 5 string shape.
Metronome is always handy. Then move onto the 4 and 5 string shapes (yes, the 4 string shapes can be really useful, and your sweeping will get more independent in your right hand instead of becoming a block of motions for the 3 and 5 string shapes).

As I said, it sweeping can introduce a whole new type of picking and fingering (also: muting with your left hand fingers). It will help with finger independence, hand sync etc. cool.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Jan 12 2009, 10:40 PM
Instructor
I don't think that there is stuff there to prepare you for this technique, it is a different feel completely, just start practicing slow, and watch you right hand, proper muting technique is the key

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 12 2009, 10:42 PM
Instructor
I woudn't start before playing the same shapes of the sweeping arpeggios with alternate picking (although I did start when I was learning). This way will get your left hand prepared to the shapes and you'll become more efficient with your picking hand and afterwards you'll only have to play the sweeping motion (and if you already did practice with alternate, the sweeping will be easy). That's what I always teach to my students.
I hope it will help you smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Jan 13 2009, 02:46 AM
Thank you guys. After doing some practicing tonight I realized I don't think Im ready for this technique yet. sad.gif

O h well. Im sure it will come one day smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 13 2009, 02:54 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Jan 13 2009, 02:46 AM) *
Thank you guys. After doing some practicing tonight I realized I don't think Im ready for this technique yet. sad.gif

O h well. Im sure it will come one day smile.gif

Opeth,
Are you married and have kids? Think of learning to sweep like having children!! You are NEVER gonna be "ready" to have children laugh.gif You are never gonna be "ready" to start sweeping. If you don't have children forget the the first part and just DO IT!! You ain't gonna get good at it without doing it. You'll figure it out!! If you check out my MTP thread I gave Jesse a guitar pro file with all the major and minor triad shapes and diatonic and pentatonic boxes. If you don't know these download the file and start learning them. They will help you a ton. The triad shapes are where most of the sweeping shapes come from. Just do it man!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 13 2009, 03:22 AM
Instructor
lcsdds is right!
I started sweeping when I didn't even know how to pick really fast.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 13 2009, 03:23 AM
Learning Tone Master
start to learn every technique as early as possible! The sooner you start the more you learn, am I right?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 13 2009, 12:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 13 2009, 03:23 AM) *
start to learn every technique as early as possible! The sooner you start the more you learn, am I right?

Sort of yeah. smile.gif
And that's just what I wanted to add to this discussion.
Sweeping is pretty much similar to Economy picking
which sometimes might lead to forgetting about Alternate picking
if you focus on just one technique for a longer period.
Practice them all together and start asap of course. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 13 2009, 02:54 PM
Let me say, learning any new technique is never a bad thing.
When I learned to sweep, I learned a lot of things. First I learned how to mute strings with greater control, to sweep each note of the arpeggio must ring out clearly and alone. Second I learned a bunch of different major, minor, and diminished triads. I can't tell you how important that is for my playing.Third got really accustomed to using the metronome to practice (and lotsss of practice it took haha). Fourthly I learned to sweep (6 months later), which sounds awesome!

Sweeping is one of the most difficult techniques I ever tried to learn, and I'm still coming to grasps with it. I just finallllly got down five string sweeps, and since I'm working on Muris's Paul Gilbert lesson- I'm throwing some taps in there too! It's great once you get the technique down, but it won't be easy... Dive right in, just never give up and you will be able to do it my friend!

If you want I can record my self doing some sweeps, what shapes I'm doing, and what kinda triads they are..
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-basics-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...weeping-lesson/
Those are how I learned...

+Quote Post
HAMWAGON
Jan 13 2009, 03:21 PM
Well when i first started sweeping i took the most basic patterns like 12 E
13 B
14 G
And just made sure i did it slowly and cleanly. One of my mates who did try to learn Sweep picking started out with 5 string and pretty much gave up within a day or two so i would start Low and gradually progress at the speed you feel comfortable with

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 13 2009, 04:11 PM
My introduction to sweeps was learning the major and minor arpeggios from the 5th string and playing chord changes.

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2009, 05:41 PM
Instructor
Pre requisites?? smile.gif Long hair and a Cacophony t-shirt... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now seriously, as Jose said, I think that you just have to start slowly and doing the correct movements. I started with 2 and 3 strings and then I added more strings. Practice hard every day and after some weeks you'll be surprised with the results.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Jan 13 2009, 06:21 PM
Awesome recomendations guys! Cacophony? Now there is a band I haven;t heard from in a while! smile.gif Thanks Gabe!

I guess I am always under the impression of the foundation system. I couldn't imagine learning a technique without having some sort of knowledge about something else.

I mean I still have problems playing simple fast runs after 4 months but then again I am faster than I was 4 months ago tongue.gif

But I will do what you guys say and start implemeting it into my practice routine.

Thanks!
Dan

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 13 2009, 07:09 PM
Jazz Instructor
In my opinion, John Petrucci explained this perfectly in his "Rock Discipline".
Crucial thing is coordination, and maintaining the tempo while sweep picking. Also, alway rest the pick on the adjacent string, just let it fall. Practice chord sequences like Cmaj(from 3th fret on A string), D minor(5th fret), E minor, F major, G major, A minor, B minor, then back across the fretboard.

E||----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
B||--------1-----------3-----------5-|------------6------------8-----------|
G||------0---0-------2---2-------4---|--4-------5---5--------7---7---------|
D||----2-------2---3-------3---5-----|----5---7-------7----9-------9----10-|
A||--3-----------5-----------7-------|------8-----------10-----------12----|
E||----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
d d d u u d d d u u u

------------------------------||
----10---------------12-------||
--9----9----------10----10----||
---------10----12----------12-||
------------14----------------||
------------------------------||

Then try to start from G on low E string

E||------------3-------------------5-|--------------------7--------------|
B||----------3---3---------------5---|--5---------------7---7------------|
G||--------4-------4-----------5-----|----5-----------7-------7----------|
D||------5-----------5-------7-------|------7-------9-----------9--------|
A||----5---------------5---7---------|--------7---9---------------9---10-|
E||--3-------------------5-----------|----------7-------------------8----|
d d dd d u u u uu d d d dd ...

---------8--------------------------10-------|
-------8---8---------------------10----10----|
-----9-------9----------------11----------11-|
--10-----------10----------12----------------|
------------------10----12-------------------|
---------------------10----------------------|

-----------------------12-------------------------|-----14----------------||
--------------------12----12----------------------|--14----14-------------||
-----------------12----------12----------------14-|-----------14----------||
--12----------14----------------14----------16----|--------------16-------||
-----12----14----------------------14----16-------|-----------------16----||
--------12----------------------------14----------|--------------------14-||

Those are basic exercises, but they are enough for learning elementary primciples.
Try some patterns like

E||----------|----------|--1-1-----|----------|------||
B||----------|----3---3-|------3---|--3-------|------||
G||------2---|--2---2---|--------2-|----2---2-|------||
D||----3---3-|----------|----------|------3---|--3---||
A||--5-------|----------|----------|----------|----5-||
E||----------|----------|----------|----------|------||
d d u d d u d d d u u d u ud u u d

Pay attention to strokes direction. There are lots of sweep patterns there really utilize it to the maximum, gipsy jazz players use this one:

u dd d ud d d u
E||--5-----5-8-----8-11-------11-14-------14-|--------11-8-----8-|-------|
B||------4-------7---------10----------13----|-----10--------7---|-------|
G||----5-------8--------11----------14-------|--11---------8-----|-------|
D||------------------------------------------|-------------------|-------|
A||------------------------------------------|-------------------|-------|
E||------------------------------------------|-------------------|-------|

You can create wonderful variations here.

By the way "u"s and "d"s in the tab text are for upstroke and down stroke:)

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Jan 13 2009, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jan 12 2009, 08:54 PM) *
Opeth,
Are you married and have kids? Think of learning to sweep like having children!! You are NEVER gonna be "ready" to have children laugh.gif You are never gonna be "ready" to start sweeping. If you don't have children forget the the first part and just DO IT!! You ain't gonna get good at it without doing it. You'll figure it out!! If you check out my MTP thread I gave Jesse a guitar pro file with all the major and minor triad shapes and diatonic and pentatonic boxes. If you don't know these download the file and start learning them. They will help you a ton. The triad shapes are where most of the sweeping shapes come from. Just do it man!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Your'e funny man! I am married with one kid and a second to be here shortly. Like in the next couiple of weeks!

You're right and I will check out your examples in your MTP thread.

@Vasilije
Thanks a lot for the examples!

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Skatastic
Jan 13 2009, 09:36 PM
Dude jump in, i started maybe last week and already its sounding pretty cool, just start learning the notes like when you normally learn a new song, then just keep pushing yourself to go a tiny bit faster. Don't forget to play cleanly though because otherwise it wont be worth the effort.

--------------------
Now Learning-
Cliffs of Dover- Eric Johnson

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2009, 12:12 PM
Instructor
You should really pay attention to Left hand muting as well as right hand muting when sweeping. Lot of people can mute with right hand but get the noise because left hand is not transitioning smoothly from one string to another - in other words, their finger(s) catch a string or release it and get unwanted noise.
Another common mistake that you want to avoid when sweep picking is to hold two notes at once ! Everything should be played staccato (short) and not tied in other words no notes should ring out.
Let me know if you need some examples smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:58 PM