Picking - Hand Curled?, Or resting on pick guard?
Kizaze44
Nov 2 2007, 02:56 AM
GMC:er
For example, I see Muris with the "curled" hand, but see others like Marcus with his other fingers resting on guitar or dangling.

Which is proper/better/faster?

As always, humbled by the great talent here. Wanna get there!

-Kizaze

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
PolackHax0r
Nov 2 2007, 03:04 AM
I think this is whatever is comfy for you. when I play, I rest my pinky on the pick guard. seems to work for me, I like it...

Just b/c a style of picking works for someone else doesln't mean you have to kill yourself trying to adapt to that style... Do your thing.

I feel like this is an angry post on my part... my friend always tells me I'm not picking right, or I'm not strumming right. (becuase it's not how the pro's play) mad.gif mad.gif It's just how I play! mad.gif

-Justin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by PolackHax0r: Nov 2 2007, 03:06 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 2 2007, 03:12 AM
Instructor
I prefer non-resting position cause I believe it good to have same fist position while doing skipping
and all large movements through strings.
That's just the way how I see it so don't take it a THE MUST.
As you know,there are many players and styles,same thing goes with this.
Fully individual. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Nov 2 2007, 03:28 AM
Thanks, Muris. I think you're a great guitarist!

Kiz

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Nov 2 2007, 03:32 AM
I've seen professional players do it both ways, so I'd think it comes largely to your personal comfort and what works for you.

That being said, I used to play with my hand more open and resting my pinky on the pick guard. I've recently been working on going to more of a closed fist position, holding the pick closer. I've found that for me ( after many years of playing ) that it's helped me be much more consistent about *where* my picking comes from ( elbow vs fingers ) and as a result it's helped my speed quite a bit.

But I'm not sure I would say there is a right or a wrong way. As I said, I've seen many guitarists able to really shred some hardcore stuff playing both ways.

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 2 2007, 03:32 AM
Instructor
I agree with PolackHax0r and Muris. The way that's most comfortable is the right way for you, and it's very individual. The reason I rest my hand is because it helps me a bit to stay relaxed (and that's very important).

-Marcus

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 2 2007, 03:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Nov 2 2007, 03:28 AM) *
Thanks, Muris. I think you're a great guitarist!

Kiz

Appreciate it and hope I was of some help. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Nov 2 2007, 04:22 AM
Marcus and Muris - you two are my favorite guitarists amongst the many great talents here. That's why I was asking because I noticed the 2 different styles. For me I feel more relaxed with the open hand, but a bit faster with the closed. I'll go with what feels right I guess, and see how it evolves. Thanks for the help. Keep the amazing lessons coming. Huge fan!

-Kizaze

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 2 2007, 04:28 AM
Instructor
Thanks Kizaze,many thanks. smile.gif

Don't be afraid to try all possibilities,sometimes I find myself holding the pick like Santana does. blink.gif
It's it odd and weird,haven't tried to hold it like him,ever.
Just came to me,probably it was the lick that moves me into that direction,no intension. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:37 PM