2 Pages V  < 1 2  
When Did You Start Playing Guitar?
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 7 2011, 10:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tumblingdown @ Oct 7 2011, 09:06 AM) *
I started playing 6 months ago - I'm 37.

Never played any kind of instrument before this. Always considered myself too old to start.
Woke up one day and said sod it, i'm going to go for it.

I play every day, got several guitars, am completely obsessed.

Currently working my way through the chord lessons on this site. They are great. Thanks loads.

Andy.

Very nice Andy smile.gif it's awesome that you have the determination to pick it up and study hard! Keep on rocking and ask us anything you might need help with biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jawilco
Oct 8 2011, 08:52 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 29 2011, 04:48 PM) *
I overheard a guy today on the radio talking to a famous folk musician, stating something about starting to play the guitar at a later stage in life. Now that made me wonder if any of you guys regard this as an obstacle.. or not smile.gif as someone said in a thread the other day - the older we get the more disciplined we should be, so learning something should be easier, even if we don't have that mind numbing capacity of absorbing info, as found in a teenager for instance smile.gif

I started playing when I was twenty or twenty one years old. That was about forty years ago. I have only recently begun learning about the modes, and certain other scales.

I always enjoyed relaxing while playing a few chords with no roxstar aspirations. The big break thru for me was the internet with the availability of information you find there. I enjoy listening and watching other people play guitar and was introduced to people like Andrew Wasson, and David Walliman on their youtube chanels. Another great source was tortoiseutube on youtube who has a great explanation on modes etc.

Long story short, I don't think age really has a lot to do with anything. I think it's really how you feel, and how you approach life in general. So far it's been a trip. I still enjoy playing, but now my wife comments that I'm sounding a lot better these days...a good thing !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Oct 8 2011, 09:21 PM
I started playing guitar about 10 month ago, when I was 14. I always wanted to play an instrument, I chose guitar, because it's the one most used in the music I most love. Since then I've been practicing in all of my free time, around 3-4 hours a day and I'm completley obsessed.
I think age dosent matter. I have some friends of my age who started playing around 1 year ago, still having trouble with playing their first chords.

This post has been edited by TeoWulf: Oct 8 2011, 09:22 PM

+Quote Post
Sickz666
Oct 8 2011, 10:33 PM
I started playing 3 years ago, been playing more seriously for about 1 year.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 9 2011, 10:50 AM
Instructor
I started playing around 16, I'm 28 now. As years go by, we become more mature players, with more realistic views on life in general. This goes for practice too. But, when I practiced in younger days, it helped me a lot, I'm much more polished player now.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Blister
Oct 11 2011, 01:50 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (thefireball @ Sep 30 2011, 03:29 PM) *
I started playing my first chords on October 29, 2008. Ready for a laugh? happy.gif Ready? biggrin.gif READY? laugh.gif

Brandon, I'm not laughing at all. In fact, I think this was a brilliant idea. Especially seeing & hearing you play now! I think this post will be an inspiration to many learning guitar. smile.gif

QUOTE (jawilco @ Oct 8 2011, 03:52 PM) *
I started playing when I was twenty or twenty one years old. That was about forty years ago. I have only recently begun learning about the modes, and certain other scales.

... The big break thru for me was the internet with the availability of information you find there.

Long story short, I don't think age really has a lot to do with anything. I think it's really how you feel, and how you approach life in general. So far it's been a trip. I still enjoy playing, but now my wife comments that I'm sounding a lot better these days...a good thing !

I started playing at 13 (48 now), had private lessons for a while, then put away the guitar being frustrated with my slow progress. But like you said, with the internet & technology available today opens up new options we didn't have 20 or 30 years ago. The tools available over the internet (read "GMC") made me want to try again. So I picked up my guitar again a little over a year ago. The callous pads I have developed on my fingers feel cool & keep me practicing so I don't lose them. biggrin.gif

Ben said it in another post I read today that it has a lot to do with "desire". I couldn't agree more. But you really have to have that desire when you start playing whether you're 11 or 71!

So, is age an obstacle? No, the lack of desire, lack of motivation & those who discourage us are the obstacles. That's why I love GMC! Being part of this community motivates & encourages me to practice more & strive to reach my goals.

I hope I haven't rambled too much & now it's time to go practice!

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 11 2011, 07:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Oct 11 2011, 12:50 AM) *
Brandon, I'm not laughing at all. In fact, I think this was a brilliant idea. Especially seeing & hearing you play now! I think this post will be an inspiration to many learning guitar. smile.gif

I started playing at 13 (48 now), had private lessons for a while, then put away the guitar being frustrated with my slow progress. But like you said, with the internet & technology available today opens up new options we didn't have 20 or 30 years ago. The tools available over the internet (read "GMC") made me want to try again. So I picked up my guitar again a little over a year ago. The callous pads I have developed on my fingers feel cool & keep me practicing so I don't lose them. biggrin.gif

Ben said it in another post I read today that it has a lot to do with "desire". I couldn't agree more. But you really have to have that desire when you start playing whether you're 11 or 71!

So, is age an obstacle? No, the lack of desire, lack of motivation & those who discourage us are the obstacles. That's why I love GMC! Being part of this community motivates & encourages me to practice more & strive to reach my goals.

I hope I haven't rambled too much & now it's time to go practice!

Gary

Wisely said! Inspiration providing words are not rambling mate! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:55 AM