> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 42 43 44 45 46 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2016, 01:55 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I'm happy to read about your last night practice session! That's what we are looking for! Enjoying the journey! Those moments are totally priceless!!

Now I get what you mean. This is usually done in blues but also in jazz, fusion and rock. Here are some other examples:

We can set like a goal off course!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2016, 09:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Gab,

Another great session tonight, having a bit of a problem HERE hopefully it can get sorted.

Regarding those videos, that's not quite what I had in mind but to play like that would be a dream come true.

At the risk of embarrassing myself unsure.gif I've recorded something where I am attempting to do what I'd like to do, please ignore EVERYTHING except the format of the track laugh.gif Hopefully you will understand what I mean. Maybe we could plan on looking at this when I have five full songs in my repertoire, so 2020 then laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/blues-mess

Thanks Gab.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2016, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Yes, I think that I understand what you mean. The first vid, Roben Ford, is an advanced version of what you are trying to do that is playing the blues with one guitar. We can set this as a goal in our improvisation section. There are some basic stuff that you need to know and then the limit is yourself. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks Gab, sounds good for a future assignment smile.gif

To clarify, in this assignment you said,

"ASSIGNMENT #4:

Goals:

- Expanding your A minor phrasing - blues phrasing
- Learning intro for Boys Are Back In Town (Thin Lizzy)

TASK 2:

- Learn the song from Thin Lizzy (first 49 seconds of it)."

The first 49 seconds is more than the intro, it includes two verses and stops just before the chorus. I can try but I'm just wondering if you have made a typo?

I currently have the parts up to the first verse down at 75% speed. Looking though the tab it does seem to get quite complex but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The parts for me that sound the least natural when I play them are below. They sound very staccato, not fluid at all.

--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
--4-4-4---4-4-2-----
--------2-----------
--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
--4-4-4-4-----------
--------------------
--------------------

I've just had a morning practise at this, I off to fetch my nephew and take him out for the day but this evening I can record these licks for you if you'd like to hear them.

Cheers buddy

Phil smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 3 2016, 10:15 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2016, 03:29 PM
Instructor
My first idea was to reach to the chorus, but I think that focusing on the intro is a better idea. I wasn't use if you were going to learn the tricky part of the intro or just the chords. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks Gab,

I currently have the parts up to the first verse down at 75% speed. Looking though the tab it does seem to get quite complex but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The parts for me that sound the least natural when I play them are below. They sound very staccato, not fluid at all.

--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
--4-4-4---4-4-2-----
--------2-----------
--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
--4-4-4-4-----------
--------------------
--------------------

As promised, here is the isolated guitar at 75%. Obviously it sounds worse without any backing but that's where I'm at at the moment.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/tbabit-take-one-intro-isolated-guitar

UPDATE: Sunday 4th August.

Had a decent practice, struggling a little with the blues solo and also struggling to get Thin Lizzy up to speed. Had a go at THIS to rest my mind a little.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 4 2016, 09:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2016, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, that sounds great! Thanks for the update mate. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 4 2016, 09:39 PM
Hello Gab,

Please read my previous post again. When I saw that you didn't comment on my Thin Lizzy take, I realised i hasn't posted the SoundCloud file. The two TABs show the parts that I can't seem to get to sound natural. I've edited the post now.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2016, 10:36 PM
Instructor
Now I could listen to it. I don't think that it's bad, it's on the right track. I only notice that the chord sounds a bit our of tune, it can be your guitar tuning or maybe too much fingers pressure...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 5 2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks Gab,

Maybe the drop tuning is making it easier to press the notes sharp, honestly, I didn't notice, but my ear isn't that good.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2016, 01:02 PM
Instructor
yes, drop tuning requires different pressure and it can give tuning issues when we are not used to it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 5 2016, 08:59 PM
Thanks Gab,

Yeah I realise that now rolleyes.gif Shame my ear isn't good at detecting things like that.

Didn't go too well tonight, the blues lesson went ok but the Thin Lizzy one went backwards. Mainly those licks I tabbed out previously, I think I might be trying too hard now and I'm getting frustrated. It's also been very stressful at work today and my head is all over the place. Remember that Petrucci Made Easy lesson where I couldn't get that run right and had to give up, tonight the licks in the Thin Lizzy track were like that. I need to practise maybe just those licks slowed right down. I think it's my alternate picking that lets me down, it's just not smooth when I speed it up.

Tomorrow's another day, onward and upward smile.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 6 2016, 06:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, please divide the part in block and SLOW DOWN to a tempo that is comfortable for you. Slow tempo is the key.

PS: I wouldn't say that your ear is not good, I prefer the phrase "my ear is not trained enough to detect that". That's the real thing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 6 2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm looking forward to my ear skills improving with time as I know they will smile.gif

I had another go tonight, slowed it way down. I think the extra complexity of this Thin Lizzy track along with the deadline has made me panic a little bit and try to rush.

I hope you don't mind me reporting in with my notes, hopefully it will give you valuable insight and help you with other students. If you'd rather me not post just say buddy, no worries smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 7 2016, 07:27 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2016, 07:10 PM
Instructor
I enjoy reading your notes mate. Keep going! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 8 2016, 09:13 PM
Hello Gab,

So so sorry, the past two nights have been a total headache. My Peavey valve amp was nearly blowing one of the output valves, luckily it has safety circuitry. Anyway, I had to send it back, it will be away for 4 weeks so I bought another amp as I was missing playing though a proper amp. If you want to see the issue it's HERE but basically I have been so tied up trying to sort it I haven't had chance to practise mad.gif

I'll be working extra hard to try and catch up mate, I really will. Why is music making so complicated these days?

Cheers buddy and sorry again.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 9 2016, 02:44 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2016, 01:43 PM
Instructor
If the journey is hard, it's means that there are great / big things coming. smile.gif

Keep going. You are a brave man.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 9 2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks Gab,

I don't know about brave but I'm not a quitter wink.gif Well I sometimes do but it takes a hell of a lot of failure for me to quit ph34r.gif

I've discovered a possible reason for not being able to play those licks that I tabbed for you. When I play them at 50%-60% speed I can get them to sound ok by playing all downstrokes, when I speed up I can't play the downstrokes quick enough so I switch to alternate picking. For some reason I can palm mute better on the downstrokes only method than I can when alternate picking. I'm using a Les Paul (Epiphone not a real one wink.gif ) for this song as it's what Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson used. Most of my other guitars have trem systems on so I don't fancy drop tuning them really.

What do you suggest mate?

Completely off topic, if you're ever in London, you should go here. I think you'll find these videos very very interesting mate wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKf9mP9KgNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCg5h4s6r7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcQwgr-xO9o

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 12 2016, 09:14 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 11 2016, 08:30 PM
Please don't miss the post above, this is an update.

11th September:
Don't feel like playing tonight, had a great day at the seaside, got home at 7pm with messages on the answerphone, called back and found out my wife's aunt died this morning.

Still struggling with the palm muting on those licks, I'll try to get a close up video of the right hand. I find it harder to palm mute on a Les Paul type bridge than of my other guitars have the flat type of saddles on them, either Floyd Rose type or my PRS have similar shaped saddles and my Strat and Peavey have THESE on. It seems easier to vary the palm muting with saddles like this than the bridge on the Les Pauls, it seems more on/off with the Les Paul whereas with the other type you can adjust your hand position more gradually.

This Thin Lizzy song is actually slowing my progression at the moment because I am that determined to not let it beat me that I am neglecting the A Minor solo. I'm getting that "just one more try" syndrome with it and before I know it I've run out of time.

Thanks Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2016, 11:58 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, great stuff! Those videos are so cool! I watched some sections and now I want to go there! haha. Honestly, I plan to visit Europe and London is off course one of the places on my list of cities that I NEED to know.

About the song, have you checked some live videos to see if they used to play this lick with downpicking or alternate picking? Also some cover videos would help. Palm muting technique feels different depending on the bridge that you are doing it, but it's just a matter of costume. We get more familiar with the bridge that we use more.

Out of topic... I'm digging the tone and phrasing of Nick's music.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 42 43 44 45 46 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:48 PM