A Topic Dedicated To Speed - Prime Examples Of Insanely Fast Playing, And Of Course Tips, Questions And Answers , And Analysis Of Whats Going On
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 9 2007, 02:55 AM
GMC:er
Ok well, lets face it. We all have different tastes, and different styles of are own. But is there anything more thrilling then watching someone play so fast that your face could Melt off right there and then in front of everyone ? tongue.gif

Ive made this topic for several reasons. Yes there are a million different topics here on Gmc about Alt. Picking , Sweeping, Legato, etc. etc. etc. But would it not be better to combine it into one topic to learn and grow as one ? ( < As weird and as gay as that sounded blink.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif )

Now for about a month now ive taken about 30 minutes out of my day and watched guitarists on youtube- picking fast, picking slow, sweeping, trying to sweep, thinking there amazing really when there not far from ordinary, and making complete fools out of themselves. What have I come to ? There are alot of people out there making the same mistakes about problems that could easily be fixed on this very site.

Im going to seperate this thread into a couple different Sections. So we can observe some of the things that are going on in these videos im about to post.

Creativity

Ahh yes creativity , many can imitate others and buy there signature guitars and dvds, t -shirts, and other various items. But are you as a guitarist really developing your self by purely copying others ? No! The correct way ? Pick a lick from your favorite artist , and modify it . Eventually you will have something completley different from what you started with.

Observe Signor Paulbo Gilberto playing what he calls " The Flamingo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KaKhGAa3I

good playing , good style, beautiful sound, ITS HIS OWN ! Whats my point on creativity ? What ever your playing on the guitar , make it your own. Chances are with great work and practice you might make something beautiful. Which builds on my next section- Speed !

Speed- Well what can I say. Who doesnt like to see a incredibly fast run where you can hear every single one of the notes coming into your ear drums at the speed of sound ? Alt Picking plays a huge part in this. From what ive seen though your Wrist makes a even bigger part in this. I myself am still trying to learn speed and develop it but I share what i know.

One thing ive seen with lots of guitarists is there hand and finger place ment on the bridge is different

Check out Sir Michael Angelo Batio himself picking faster then a bat outtta hellllllllll.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFI7lsxUjc

Obsereve how his hand is placed on the bridge and how his fingers are placed under the high e string. I myself am still trying to understand his technique but as seen above it must be working , no ? tongue.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Now observe the hand placement of Marty Friedman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdyHs_IX1I

His wrist is oddly bent below the high e-string but yet he still maintains amazing sound and tone.

What do both of this musicans have in common? They have different styles.

Ill add more to this if any of you liked this but if Not ill stop for now. - John

Date: May 12, 2007

Ok im getting some good feedback about the thread and ive taken some time to anaylize some other aspects of guitar.

Work Ethic- Scene: Little jimmy just got home from school. The whole day he dazed on and off thinking about different Hendrix licks and how to put them into his playing. He got home from school and went to go play his guitar, but wait ! All of little jimmies friends were playing video games ! Jimmy was right then and then faced with a difficult choice, 1 waste his life on video games, 2. play guitar.

hmmmm....Jimmy thought, "I can play video games anytime but the bottom line is if I dont PRACTICE I will never be GOOD."

Jimmy is an example of a guitarist with good work ethic. Lets look at a not so good example.

Scene: Sam has been " playing" guitar for 2 years. Sam is one of those kids that thinks he doesnt need to practice to be good. He knows a couple acdc riffs and he pretty much knows hes a GOD.
Wrong Sam. tongue.gif

Whats the bottom line? What you put into guitar is what your going to get. You put one hour of practice and budget your time with alternate pickin practice, sweeping , and lets say whammy bar tricks as well as improv. Then chances are you will get better as time goes on. But if your like Sam then you might need to change your work ethic to make yourself improve as a guitarist.

And maybe just maybe you might be able to play like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7z9gVGw_cU

and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdyHs_IX1I

and possibly this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYlx5gW90Aw...ted&search=

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: May 12 2007, 08:31 AM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
The Uncreator
May 9 2007, 03:56 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think im just gonna add on to this little list!!

Michael Angelo Batio - Rainforest
My favorite piece from him, absolutely beautiful!
Dominic Frasca
Rhapsody - Luca Turilli - Unholy Warcry Solo
Kiko Loureiro - Enfermo
Kiko Loureiro - Dilemma
Jani Liimatainen
Dragonforce - Young Guitar DVD Clips (Dont worry, it aint sloppy)

The Solo on dragonforces video at 3:39 proves Herman can be a very talented, and good guitarist, and does not always rely on shred. its a good solo, with plenty of feeling.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: May 9 2007, 04:18 AM

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 9 2007, 04:55 AM
I listened to all of the above. Batio is impressive. I will say no more. Here is his bio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Angelo_Batio

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 9 2007, 08:40 PM
I still dont quite understand his irght hand technique. I will keep studying it.

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 9 2007, 08:44 PM
Lets go fishing!
Senior Pablo ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
May 9 2007, 08:59 PM
Paul shreddin' it up on Pan-man!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 9 2007, 09:50 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ May 9 2007, 08:59 PM) *

Is that paul gilbert? never never land?! blink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 10 2007, 12:19 AM
Paul Gilbert And Billy Sheehan - Addicted To That Rush

Oh Yeah smile.gif

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 10 2007, 03:34 AM
Don't forget Shawn Lane!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57q5zdvMw58...ted&search=

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 10 2007, 03:41 AM
Impossible to forget Shawn Lane !

I myself am interested in michael romeo right now tongue.gif biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDqduTnj34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: May 10 2007, 03:42 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 10 2007, 09:53 AM
Instructor
Yeah, nice topic - something about technique...i got myself a new MAB DVD - Speed Kills 2 and there in the end he sais: "It's better to have it and don't need it than need it and don't have it!" - he is 500% right!

I like all of MAB's song - he has his own style and i love it.

Also - Eat-Sleep-andJam mentioned playing someone's stuff over and over again - he's right because from playing someone's song you gain 0.05% on your technique over years while practicing actual excercises gives you 99% gain on your technique. I didn't play anybody's song for 2 years now. It's just sooo borring. I have lot's of my own songs to practice and it's much more fun than playing someone's songs.

Learning these lessons on GMC is the best way to improve but you have to nail them 100%.

Btw. i started to practice all techniques after seeing MAB's Speed Kills Instructional

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 10 2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah i just got that one a week ago, ive learned most of Rainforest already, some parts i still need work on, but that quote is not 500% true.....

Its 1000% true biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 11 2007, 01:38 AM
Pavel in regards to Mab's right hand , whats going on there?

And are Angelos dvds worth getting ? Twenty U.s dollars seems a fit price to pay to be able to play that fast tongue.gif

- John

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 11 2007, 03:07 AM
Its WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL Worth it, i own both speed kills one and two, i still use what i could leanr from those DVD's to practice today, very helpful i belive!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 11 2007, 03:19 AM
Whats better.... Speed kills 2 , Speed kills 1 , Speed Lives ?

- John

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
May 11 2007, 04:01 AM
Speed Kills 1 is the classic, Speed Lives is the one where MAB teaches No Boundaries I think, and Speed Kills 2 has good stuff on warming up and some other long licks.

Fyi: Michael just filmed Speed Kills 3!

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 11 2007, 07:08 AM
Instructor
I think Speed Kills 1 is the best (my opinion).

Nice pics InstrumentalCase - thanks for the info! I didn't know SK3 is on it's way!!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 11 2007, 12:12 PM
I might go with two over one, because i love Rainforest alot.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 11 2007, 08:42 PM
Ill probably just wait till Speed Kills 3 comes out..... Release date ?

- John

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 12 2007, 01:17 AM
No release date as of yet.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:34 PM