> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Treydeschamp's Metalcore Training Program
TreyDeschamp
Sep 5 2012, 10:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Awesome!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2012, 08:08 AM
Instructor
In the 'chorus' part, you will notice the nice balance obtained by mixing the natural minor with the 6/8 time signature and the open strings theme biggrin.gif This is ALWAYS a winner! laugh.gif Too bad I haven't thought of it before the dudes in Killswitch did it laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 6 2012, 10:29 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2012, 02:08 AM) *
In the 'chorus' part, you will notice the nice balance obtained by mixing the natural minor with the 6/8 time signature and the open strings theme biggrin.gif This is ALWAYS a winner! laugh.gif Too bad I haven't thought of it before the dudes in Killswitch did it laugh.gif

So are most of their songs based on the minor pentatonic and natural pentatonic scales?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 7 2012, 07:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Sep 6 2012, 09:29 PM) *
So are most of their songs based on the minor pentatonic and natural pentatonic scales?

Out of what I know, yes and also some Phyrgian here and there biggrin.gif In respect to the scales used, they are not that innovative - they popularized this concept of brutal music having anthemic choruses which everyone could sing wink.gif This has proven to be their success recipe!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 7 2012, 06:51 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2012, 01:33 AM) *
Out of what I know, yes and also some Phyrgian here and there biggrin.gif In respect to the scales used, they are not that innovative - they popularized this concept of brutal music having anthemic choruses which everyone could sing wink.gif This has proven to be their success recipe!

Awesome! Now what is this 6/8 time signature you were talking about and how would I use these scales to make a riff or a solo?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2012, 01:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Sep 7 2012, 05:51 PM) *
Awesome! Now what is this 6/8 time signature you were talking about and how would I use these scales to make a riff or a solo?

Hey Trey,

the 6/8 time signature will have 6 8th notes instead of 4 quarter notes - it's the waltz groove. Check out the chorus part in the middle of the lesson to feel the pulse.

Well, if you combine notes belonging to these scales you can come up with riffs. My advice is to get the sound of these scales very well into your mind and then understand how they are harmonized. Once you nail these things you will have a variety of tools to work with. What say you? Does harmonizing sound familiar to you?

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 9 2012, 06:42 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 8 2012, 07:42 AM) *
Hey Trey,

the 6/8 time signature will have 6 8th notes instead of 4 quarter notes - it's the waltz groove. Check out the chorus part in the middle of the lesson to feel the pulse.

Well, if you combine notes belonging to these scales you can come up with riffs. My advice is to get the sound of these scales very well into your mind and then understand how they are harmonized. Once you nail these things you will have a variety of tools to work with. What say you? Does harmonizing sound familiar to you?

Will do Cosmin!

I'm not very familiar with harmonizing.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2012, 09:20 AM
Instructor
Hey Trey,

Harmonizing means to build a chord from each step of a scale using only the notes from that scale.

If for instance we have the C major scale (C D E F G A B C) and we know the formulas for major, minor and diminished chords:

Major - 1 3 5
Minor - 1 b3 5
Diminished - 1 b3 b5

...we will obtain the following chords in this particular order: Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdiminished Cmajor

These are the chords we use to create chord progressions using the notes of C major smile.gif

Can you please do the same drill for the G major scale? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 12 2012, 12:39 AM
So for the G Major scale it would be:

(G A B C D E F G)

As far as which chords to use or how to pick numbers for the:

Major Scale
Diminished Scale
Minor Scale

I have no clue what to do. Below is what you gave to me as an example but I had no clue what to do.

Major - 1 3 5
Minor - 1 b3 5
Diminished - 1 b3 b5

...we will obtain the following chords in this particular order: Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdiminished Cmajor

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2012, 08:30 AM
Instructor
Trey smile.gif The G major scale is : G A B C D E F# G - you apply the w w h w w w h formula to obtain it. By this, I mean that between:

G and A there's a whole tone - w
A and B - whole tone
B and C - half tone - h
C and D - whole tone
D and E - whole tone
E and F# - whole tone
F# and G - half tone

The G major chord is formed by using the 1 3 5 steps of the G major scale. This means G B D, right?
The G minor chord is formed by using the 1 b3 5 steps of the G major scale. This means G Bb D, right? - the G minor does not belong to the G major scale, so as you observe, we had to alter the 3rd step in order to obtain that chord.
The G diminished is formed by using the 1 b3 b5 steps -> G Bb Db - once again, altering the 3rd and 5th step to obtain it.

Now, when harmonizing a scale we must keep in mind that the notes making up the chords must belong only to that scale, ok?

I will do it for G major and I will ask you to do it for the D major scale smile.gif

Gmaj Amin Bmin Cmaj Dmaj Emin F#diminished Gmaj

Please let me know if it's clear now wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 21 2012, 04:49 PM
So for D it would be:

Dmaj Emin F#min Gmaj Amaj Bmin C#Diminished Dmaj?

Does the formula have to be this way? Like for example, could the formula read:

Dmin Emin F#Diminished Gmaj Amaj Bmaj C#Diminished Dmaj?

I'm just trying to grasp this concept.

This post has been edited by TreyDeschamp: Sep 21 2012, 04:50 PM

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 22 2012, 05:16 PM
Instructor
This is correct:

Dmaj Emin F#min Gmaj Amaj Bmin C#Diminished Dmaj

But the formula stays this way in the case of D major, because the chords in the other formula can't belong to D major as the notes making them up don't belong to D major biggrin.gif

It's like that mate - one try for let's say.... Bb major? tongue.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 26 2012, 02:29 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2012, 11:16 AM) *
This is correct:

Dmaj Emin F#min Gmaj Amaj Bmin C#Diminished Dmaj

But the formula stays this way in the case of D major, because the chords in the other formula can't belong to D major as the notes making them up don't belong to D major biggrin.gif

It's like that mate - one try for let's say.... Bb major? tongue.gif

Cosmin

I'm having a hard time figuring this one out but I think I have the basic concept. Maybe we could move on to something else?

I just got my guitar out of the shop. I had it intonated and set up for Drop C tuning so I should be good to get some of these lessons in.

I was really digging your metal metrics series. Maybe we could hit that one up?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 27 2012, 11:20 AM
Instructor
Hey Trey, sure we can! It's always good to have some practical part going on in the same time with the theory!

How about hitting that KSE lesson? Let me know if it's too difficult for ya!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 27 2012, 12:53 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 27 2012, 05:20 AM) *
Hey Trey, sure we can! It's always good to have some practical part going on in the same time with the theory!

How about hitting that KSE lesson? Let me know if it's too difficult for ya!

Cosmin

I'm up for the challenge. I think it's a little past my skill level, but you've got to start somewhere right?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 28 2012, 09:40 AM
Instructor
Hey Trey, let's see a recording at about 75% of the actual speed, eh? smile.gif

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 28 2012, 01:01 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 28 2012, 03:40 AM) *
Hey Trey, let's see a recording at about 75% of the actual speed, eh? smile.gif

I can definitely try and do that! It'll take a little time being that quarterly exams are approaching and I am in the thick of the Cross Country season. When I find time I'll definitely do it!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 29 2012, 12:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Sep 28 2012, 12:01 PM) *
I can definitely try and do that! It'll take a little time being that quarterly exams are approaching and I am in the thick of the Cross Country season. When I find time I'll definitely do it!

Please do, mate! Focus on timing and tightness - at this tempo, you should get it perfect wink.gif biggrin.gif

If, in the mean time you encounter any troubles, please let me know!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Dec 4 2012, 04:01 AM
Hey Cosmin!

Sorry I've been MIA from the music scene lately. With Cross Country finally ended I'm ready to get back to it.

I kind of fell off with the KSE lesson. I'll probably pick it up later but as for now I very much would like to work on Meta. I love the song and am super excited to hopefully get to learn it and then get feedback from the guy that made it.

Sound okay? wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2012, 08:53 AM
Instructor
Hello Trey! Glad to have you back mate smile.gif I have nothing against that, but I want you to finish it if you start it smile.gif And pick up the KSE lesson afterwards as it's a bit more difficult than this one.

Deal?

Cosmin

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:22 PM