2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Much Do You Use Guitar Pro?, in general
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 28 2011, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Hey guys, so the question is simple:

How much do you use guitar pro when practicing, and do you think it can be an important tool for advancing musically?

let's hear some thoughts on this! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 28 2011, 11:09 AM
Instructor
I think it's very helpful.. I used it to figure out Strret Lethal by Racer X.. that's about it. But it's really helpful to hear and see how something goes smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 28 2011, 11:22 AM
GMC:er
i use to to slow down things for example, when i can play a part of the song perfectly i set the tempo a few bpms downs and practice the section in loop, i find it very useful, all trough i don't use it much since i hate to learn songs, find it very boring T_T

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jun 28 2011, 11:51 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I used to use it a lot more than I use now. I started to learn a lot of things by ear, even GMC lessons so I'm avoiding tabs and guitar pro's unless it's a style that I really don't know much about.

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 28 2011, 12:28 PM
At one time thats all I used to learn songs, but I've noticed recently with being a half-step down and sitting in on some lessons I find myself figuring the notes out better by ear. Except when its a fast run then I try and do it to cross reference whats going on and what I'm missing.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 28 2011, 12:35 PM
Instructor
Some great thoughts so far. Have you used some other similar program with same/similar success?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jun 28 2011, 01:47 PM
Instructor
I only use GP for GMC lessons!
I rather write ideas, licks with the good old paper & pencil, or sometimes I sing & record ideas with my phone!

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Jun 28 2011, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
When practising speed excercises i use it alot but i dont use it as much anymore

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jun 28 2011, 01:56 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I like to use amazing slow downer instead of practicing with midi stuff. That way you can use the real song and train your ear at the same time. smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 28 2011, 03:33 PM
Instructor
I'm from the old school when we had to rewind and forward the cassetes lots of times until you learn a solo section. I'm so glad of that because I could develop my ear a lot thanks to it. Guitar Pro is an amazing too and I use it nowadays but the bad thing about it is that many beginners use it all the time instead of trying to learn songs by ear... so my suggestion is Use it but don't abuse of it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 28 2011, 03:48 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I love Guitar Pro, specially to learn new songs smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Shuma13
Jun 28 2011, 04:45 PM
Learning Roadie
I use it quite a bit to learn songs and backing tracks.

Like others have said I do think it (and tab in general) has limited my ability to learn by ear.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 28 2011, 04:52 PM
Instructor
for me it saves some time when learning a cover tune

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 28 2011, 06:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 28 2011, 02:33 PM) *
I'm from the old school when we had to rewind and forward the cassetes lots of times until you learn a solo section. I'm so glad of that because I could develop my ear a lot thanks to it. Guitar Pro is an amazing too and I use it nowadays but the bad thing about it is that many beginners use it all the time instead of trying to learn songs by ear... so my suggestion is Use it but don't abuse of it! smile.gif

My thoughts go with Gabriel on this one! Very nicely said - GP doesn't have to replace your ears smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 28 2011, 06:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jun 28 2011, 05:52 PM) *
for me it saves some time when learning a cover tune

Yes, this is true, it can indeed save some time with tricky passages. Not that it is not possible to use slow down method, but it's faster as Daniel said, so it's more efficient.

Any other methods of use? Practicing perhaps? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 28 2011, 11:12 PM
Learning Roadie
I've never really used it. I'd rather use simple tabs since it's free. I'm cheap. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 29 2011, 12:17 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
The main thing I like about Guitar Pro is that it shows the actual music notes rather than just the tabs. I want to make sure I am learning the notes and not just where to put my fingers. I have accumulated a lot of music books over the years (not all guitar books) & was going to try typing them in to have it translate them to tabs. Probably only certain parts of interest. I haven't tried this yet.

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 28 2011, 06:12 PM) *
I've never really used it. I'd rather use simple tabs since it's free. I'm cheap. laugh.gif

Me too, Brandon. I am saving my money for another piece of equipment, so at some point I do plan on buying Guitar Pro, but right now I am just using Tux Guitar (it's free, Tux Guitar - GNU Lesser General Public License & I am cheap).

Gary

This post has been edited by Blister: Jun 29 2011, 10:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 29 2011, 12:22 AM
Me too, Brandon. I am saving my money for another piece of equipment, so at some point I do plan on buying Guitar Pro, but right now I am just using Tux Guitar (it's free & I am cheap, like you).

Gary

illegal comment warning..(my comment)
-There is always torrents ph34r.gif, Edit: so you don't really need to spend money, on buying Guitar Pro

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jun 29 2011, 01:30 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gary
Jun 29 2011, 04:04 AM
I use GP everyday and yes that's probably more than I should. I do find it very useful for learning cover tunes and I also play along with some speed excercises. I am pushing myself now to try and pick things up more by ear.. admittingly I need work in this area and GP is partly to blame.

It is easy to see how far the reliance on tabs has developed. There are many excellent videos on YouTube of people playing cover tunes and in most cases the video was taken at very close range, thus allowing the viewer to clearly see how the song is being played. Even with that visual information, there are always numerous request for the YouTube poster to provide the tab...funny.

Cheers!
Gary

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 4 2011, 03:19 AM
I use it and a screen capture program to make little practice files for myself. I make playlists iTunes.

Some examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_eYrhdLs0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WZqUE2lTQ...feature=related

I posted a few on youtube so I can practice at school.

If anybody wants to share or exchange these types of files let me know.

[email protected]

John Foster

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:21 PM