Fantasy Book Rec's For Me
VinceG
Apr 3 2008, 08:14 AM
GMC:er
So, I've been fascinated with fantasy books as of late. This is mainly due to one of my fav writers now, Tad Williams. I'm a huge fan of his works such as the Otherworld Series, and the Shadowmarch series.

Basically, I'm looking for darker fantasy books. I'm still a noob at finding the stuff that I like but a quick recommendation would be very helpful to me. Or maybe just put up your favorite writers/book and I'll track it down for my next purchase.

So fire away laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 3 2008, 08:58 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Darker fantasy? Hmmm, Well i know alot of Vampire Hunter novels, but thats more horror.

If you think you are in for the long run, John Marco's "The Eyes Of God Trilogy" is one of the most amazing pieces of art ive ever had the pleasure of experiencing, Its 3 books around 1,000 pages each. I cant really begin to explain all the stuff that happens, there is alot to absorb. Different wars going on, characters engaged in some of the most intense obstacles and troubles ive ever read, full of so much hope and joy at the beginning and then just goes straight to hell and goes through every dark emotion possible. Shows people dealing with death of loved ones, being forsaken by there own families, being cast out by the world, dealing with natural born problems that cause people to think less of them, there are several romance "side stories" as ill call them, that are truly sad, and dont end so well with some of them, people being driven to evil by corruption of and evil force.....

Seriously, it has everything you could ask for, i HIGHLY recommend it. Only though, if you can take reading long sections of a time (50-100 pages). Its a long ass story, and doesnt jump out at you right away, this is something you dont read a chapter or 3 everyday and put it away, it would probably seem boring to you. I recommend reading 5-7 chapters each time you pick this book up if you get it, and ill admit, the beginning is somewhat slow, and maybe boring, but all too important in the grand scheme of things.....When i finished the 3rd book, i was awestruck, i dont know how a single mind can weave such a thing, its a beautiful experience!

PS

How was Shadowmarch? I wanted to check it out, and im gonna be buying a new book soon smile.gif

PPS

Oh yeah I forgot the books names tongue.gif

The Eyes Of God (Book 1)
The Devil's Armor (Book 2)
The Sword Of Angels (Book 3)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dusty
Apr 6 2008, 03:55 PM
i cannot reccomend strongly enough Steven Erikson and the Malazan Book Of The Fallen series, starts with Gardens of the Moon. they are some of the best fantasy books that i have read in years, quite dark in the story line and also the humour. after reading the first two books you will become rather fond of the Bridgeburners.

Uncreator mentioned Vampire Hunter novels, the anita blake books, although horror are very good.

Back to fantasy though and an absolute classic series is the Midkemia?pug novels by Raymond e fiest (starts with Magician)

good ones to start with i could go on for hours.

Glad to hear you enjoyed tad williams he rocks. have you tried his earlier fantasy series, i cant remember the name right now but they where written before otherworld and are excellent.

--------------------
"smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast"

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Apr 6 2008, 07:17 PM
I'm really not into fantasy, but when I was 14 I read a series called "The Deed of Paksenarrion", and it was awesome. I don't think it's dark though, but it's good, so you should at least check out some reviews or something and see it you like it. That's the only thing I could think of though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 6 2008, 08:43 PM
QUOTE (dusty @ Apr 6 2008, 06:55 AM) *
Uncreator mentioned Vampire Hunter novels, the anita blake books, although horror are very good.

Yeah, Her books were the one im thinking of smile.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 8 2008, 05:58 AM
hey thanks guys, forgot about this thread since my whole weekend was busy.

I'm not really into the whole Vampire thing so I will probably skip that, but your other book rec's seems rather interesting. I haven't gone to borders yet, but I'm hoping to find it there.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 8 2008, 11:11 AM
It should be there, The Borders i go to every week has all three, cheap to, like $7.99 each smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 8 2008, 12:38 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 3 2008, 09:58 AM) *
Darker fantasy? Hmmm, Well i know alot of Vampire Hunter novels, but thats more horror.

If you think you are in for the long run, John Marco's "The Eyes Of God Trilogy" is one of the most amazing pieces of art ive ever had the pleasure of experiencing, Its 3 books around 1,000 pages each. I cant really begin to explain all the stuff that happens, there is alot to absorb. Different wars going on, characters engaged in some of the most intense obstacles and troubles ive ever read, full of so much hope and joy at the beginning and then just goes straight to hell and goes through every dark emotion possible. Shows people dealing with death of loved ones, being forsaken by there own families, being cast out by the world, dealing with natural born problems that cause people to think less of them, there are several romance "side stories" as ill call them, that are truly sad, and dont end so well with some of them, people being driven to evil by corruption of and evil force.....

Seriously, it has everything you could ask for, i HIGHLY recommend it. Only though, if you can take reading long sections of a time (50-100 pages). Its a long ass story, and doesnt jump out at you right away, this is something you dont read a chapter or 3 everyday and put it away, it would probably seem boring to you. I recommend reading 5-7 chapters each time you pick this book up if you get it, and ill admit, the beginning is somewhat slow, and maybe boring, but all too important in the grand scheme of things.....When i finished the 3rd book, i was awestruck, i dont know how a single mind can weave such a thing, its a beautiful experience!

PS

How was Shadowmarch? I wanted to check it out, and im gonna be buying a new book soon smile.gif

PPS

Oh yeah I forgot the books names tongue.gif

The Eyes Of God (Book 1)
The Devil's Armor (Book 2)
The Sword Of Angels (Book 3)

Hmm, these books sounds great and worth checking out smile.gif
I haven't read in a long time, although I used to read like a maniac before..
Worked in a bookstore as well biggrin.gif
Maybe I should start reading more again..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:01 AM