New Axe Project
Captain Insaino
Sep 10 2010, 11:04 PM
GMC:er
I have wanted a Axe for sometime now, but for my budget I cant afford what I really want. So I did some looking around and have decided to build my self the guitar I want. Be able to hand pick out all the options I want, for everything. It will be the only one just like it in the world.
IF I build it my self it will cost me for material about $600 US. If I were to by the one I want from a popular manufacture it will cost me $2400

Has anyone else around her done the same thing.. build your own guitar. Any advice, or things to look out for.. Or just your opinions....

Captain

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratman79
Sep 11 2010, 12:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
Depends what you want out of it...

unless you are an excellent woodworker it won't turn out how you want... even if you are it prob still won't unless you have lots of experiance building guitars...

I would say that it would be best off to buy a kit from Warmoth and put it togeather... If you want to have more input maybe but a blank body and paint it yourself... if you want to do more maybe build a body and buy a neck.. I think building a neck would be very very hard...

be aware that you may not get the results you want, but you'll have great fun and learn a lot in the process... if you do do it please upload pics of you progress as I would love to see how you get on...

ps if your really serious I can put you in the right direction of a great luthier forum smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 11 2010, 12:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
Without any skills or knowledge about how to build a guitar I can gurantee you that your guitar for 600$ will not sound like a 2400$ one. Most likely if you would use material worth 2400$ it would not even sound as good as a 600$ guitar in the end.

I don't want to discourage you but without help or experience you won't get a satisfing result out of your work...
The best idea would be to start with modding a cheap guitar, next step would be assembling a guitar from parts (warmoth like Stratman said) and then you can try to start the first real woodwork.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 30 2010, 01:13 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 11 2010, 01:08 AM) *
Without any skills or knowledge about how to build a guitar I can gurantee you that your guitar for 600$ will not sound like a 2400$ one. Most likely if you would use material worth 2400$ it would not even sound as good as a 600$ guitar in the end.

I don't want to discourage you but without help or experience you won't get a satisfing result out of your work...
The best idea would be to start with modding a cheap guitar, next step would be assembling a guitar from parts (warmoth like Stratman said) and then you can try to start the first real woodwork.

+1 on this!

Even some experienced luthers here don't always make great instruments (better then similar prized branded ones). So for start I would suggest getting a Warmoth guitar assembly kit and putting it together yourself. You will learn a lot in the process.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
austexs
Oct 2 2010, 03:02 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 10 2010, 11:08 PM) *

Yep.

Just got a Highway One (SSS). The neck is ABSOLUTELY perfect. Plays nice as is. smile.gif

I'll Mod it. In this order.

1. Pickguard
2. Pegs

3. Tremolo

4. Pickups

5. Tremsetter

Should be perfect after that.

This thing sounds good but will be better.

If you are into metal, get a cheap Epiphone... and mod it if you feel the need to.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 2 2010, 09:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Captain Insaino, when you say you're gonna build your own guitar I assume you mean from parts and not from scratch. If thats the case you should check out the Mighty Mite necks and bodies.

You may be familiar with my USA Strat project, which is the Peavey USA Predator I'm upgrading. The Peavey is a great place to start an upgrade, my only complaint is the fret size on the Peavey, as I would rather have extra jumbo frets instead of the medium frets it has now.

The reason I'm bringing up the Peavey is because it is an option you could consider. The older model USA Peaveys are going for cheap on eBay, and they're pretty good guitars, minus of course the hardware. And the real benefit is you already have a neck that matches a body. One thing I should add is the necks on the Peaveys are fantastic; real modern in design.

But I'm sure you would rather build something completely to your liking, and I think that is the better route to go. Go check out the Mighty Mite stuff on eBay, you can get a hard rock maple neck and a swamp ash or alder body for around $200. The bodies come routed in the H-S-H configuration, so you can pretty much have any pickup combination you choose.

The neck is completely finished and ready to be installed, save for the tuners of course. You also have a choice of fret size, and thats whats separates it from regular Strats. And whats really cool is you can put your own logo on the headstock, that to me is worth building your own guitar.

The body is sealed, but not finished, so you're gonna have to finish it yourself. and you're at liberty to choose an oil, stain, wax, or any kind of finish you can imagine.

Just one thing to keep in mind is to make sure the you get the right bridge/tremolo for the guitar.

Also, check out the Tonerider pickups, from the demos I've heard on Youtube they sound great, and the price is fair. You can thank Stratman79 for that smile.gif

Here is a store on eBay that has the Mighty Mite bodies and necks, plus the Tonerider pickups and other stuff.

http://stores.ebay.com/rhfactorguitars

Let us know how it goes, we're all really curious to see how it goes. After I complete the Peavey project I'm probably gonna go the Mighty Mite route, if the budget allows it of course wink.gif

Met me know if you would like some tips on finding electronics for your set up, I would be glad to assist smile.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:42 PM