Recording Gear, Going to get a new computer and gear+software for recording
Fsgdjv
Jun 12 2008, 02:09 PM
GMC:er
Right now I'm working my ass off, and when I'm finished with this job, I decided to get a new computer. Then I realised I could also get some recording gear so I can record songs and stuff, seeing as I will probably be unembployed and bored the next year before trying to get into some musical schools the year after that.

So basically, I have no idea about what I want, except that I know I want to mic up my amp, so I need some mic for that, and some way to connect it to the computer.

I've also been thinking about buying a mac, probably just an iMac, but if you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to look at those.

Other than that I have no idea what I want or need, but I guess I need some software (and I presume garage band isn't good enough, or is it?). I have no idea about what you need or anything about recording, so if anyone could give me some help I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I don't want anything super expensive, but I don't really have a tight budget aswell, but nothing super fancy, but I still want to mic up the amp etc, I don't know if that gets more expensive than buying a toneport or whatever, but I want to mic it up.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Jun 12 2008, 02:23 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 12 2008, 02:22 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I was also going to upgrade everything, a Mac, external soundcard/interface with all possible connections and also get the Line6 POD X3 for better guitar sound. I bought the POD X3 live and it stopped there.

The X3 proved to function a lot better than my old Guitarport and that gave my computer plenty of more CPU power so I never had to exchange the comp. It used to stop at 4-5 audio tracks before and I belive now that my guitarport took care of recording but left the playing of sounds to the internal soundcard. The X3 does everything by the looks of it since the computer doesn't seem to spend any of it's power on sound recording and playing.

And the POD X3 has mike connection so I really don't need a soundinterface either especially since it's so quick and all.

Then you could go with Reaper as your recording program of choise.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 12 2008, 02:32 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Agree with MickeM on the pod and using Reaper as the DAW. If using a condensor mic, make sure that the pod provides phantom power source. I've learned things the hard way recently. My Toneport UX1 did not so instead of installing an in-line power supply, I just went with a decent dynamic. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 12 2008, 02:35 PM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jun 12 2008, 03:32 PM) *
Agree with MickeM on the pod and using Reaper as the DAW. If using a condensor mic, make sure that the pod provides phantom power source. I've learned things the hard way recently. My Toneport UX1 did not so instead of installing an in-line power supply, I just went with a decent dynamic. smile.gif

The POD does not have phantom power. It's only drawback so far.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 12 2008, 02:35 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Pod x3 will be a good choice..Also I'm am very satisfied with my line 6 toneport ux2..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jun 12 2008, 02:45 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 12 2008, 09:35 AM) *
The POD does not have phantom power. It's only drawback so far.

On the phantom power piece...

You can put a phantom power supply in-line between the mic and the POD/Toneport. XLR out from the POD/Toneport to XLR in on the power supply. XLR out of the supply and into the mic.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 12 2008, 03:02 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jun 12 2008, 09:45 AM) *
On the phantom power piece...

You can put a phantom power supply in-line between the mic and the POD/Toneport. XLR out from the POD/Toneport to XLR in on the power supply. XLR out of the supply and into the mic.

Loolked at that option as well but got kinda expensive. Ended up buying a Samson Q7 dynamic which sounds pretty good. If your only going to be using it for mic'ing guitars, I suggest a dynamic.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 12 2008, 03:13 PM
Is reaper availiable for mac or will I have to buy a pc for that? Otherwise, I'll check out the pod X3, even though I have a pod and never really liked it. But if I would use the pod I wouldn't be able to mic the amp up then?

And, what would you recommend me on getting for recording singing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 12 2008, 11:56 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jun 12 2008, 04:13 PM) *
Is reaper availiable for mac or will I have to buy a pc for that? Otherwise, I'll check out the pod X3, even though I have a pod and never really liked it. But if I would use the pod I wouldn't be able to mic the amp up then?

The X3 Live has (don't know with the bean) a mike input. I never tried to mike an amp with it but I don't see why not. It comes with some presets you surely could use. You would want another sound interface if you're looking for a real pro sound using two mikes at different positions and angles. If I remember well the X3 has one input only.

You can record vocals through the X3 aswell, use your mike and select a preset. There's a demo video over at Line6 that shows that.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 13 2008, 09:46 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jun 12 2008, 02:13 PM) *

There's a pre-Beta version of Reaper for Macs here .
Comments on the stability/robustness of the build all seem v positive.

WRT your wider question -

Audio Interface - how many inputs/outputs do you think you'll need and what will you be recording - ie guitar only, vocals, other instruments; only studio or live; only you or your group in a single take etc, etc. What types of connectivity do you want/need for the interface - XLR mics, HiZ jack for guitar, normal jack for line, MIDI etc? Do you want or need Firewire, USB2/1.1, and an external interface or do you want an internal PC card?

PC - Mac or PC - personal choice but arguably the Mac will give you greater integration between the Mac and interface and software. A PC will give you a wider choice of software. Whichever route you go you then need to think about whether the comp will only be for music or be multi-purpose. If the former you need to concentrate on CPU, RAM, Hard Disc performance and get the best audio interface you can afford and downgrade the video card. However if you want to play new games then you'll need a good video card and will probably have to trade off music performance.

Think about whether or not you want a state of the art Mac/PC - do you need 64 bit and/or Mac Panther/Windows Vista or can you get away with 32 bit and Tiger/XP... Also how confident you are in upgrading components? If you are you can retro fit to upgrade the internals of a PC pretty easily but Macs (whilst you can do it) tends to be a bit harder. If you are very confident here a good option is to completely spec a pc and build it yourself (something that quite a lot of us do for a music pc). If you aren't it is possible to buy a Mac or PC that has been built for music - they tend to be a bit more expensive then the off the shelf versions but not too much more - you can get them from bigger music retailers.

Software - do you want to use freeware/shareware only or do you want to also budget for commercial software - sequencer, VSTs and VSTIs. Do you need/want soft synths or are you more interested in guitar and recording effects? For some suggestions take a look at the stickied lists in the recording sub-forum.

Budget is important - how much and how you want it split between computer, software, audio interface.

So, sorry no recommendation from me just questions for you to consider. If you can give us some more info on what you need then we may be able to narrow it down a bit smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 13 2008, 03:02 PM
Tony:

I will probably be recording at least vocals and guitars, but I'm thinking about getting a synth aswell just for fun, and only in the studio. I have no idea what interfaces I need, what's the difference between a good external interface and a good internal sound card?

I think I want a Mac, I wanted that even before I realised I should get some recording stuff for it aswell. I don't think I'll want to play games etc on it, but I still don't want to make the computer only useable for music recording, even though I don't really care for games etc on computers.

I definetly want a 64 bit with Panther. I am very confident on upgrading components, allthought I have to admit I have never upgraded any components on a Mac.

I would prefer some freeware/shareware, but I still want something that's decent. I'm a beginner at this, so I suppose I don't really need something super fancy when it comes to the software (or the rest of what I'm getting, for that matter), but I still want something proper.

Well, my bugdet depends on what I see that I can get, but I'll try to not make it a lot more expensive than 2500-3000 Euros. How far can you get with that? I don't really know how I want to split it, but I don't want to pay as much for the recording stuff as I pay for the computer, and I'm still mainly buying a computer and then getting some recording gear and maybe software on the side.

MickeM: Ok, that actually sounds good. As I mentioned before, I have a Pod 2.0 and I really hate it with passion, but is it a big difference between the X3 and the 2.0?

And thanks to all for taking the time to answer me, I really appreciate it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 13 2008, 04:19 PM
Ok just staying with a Mac -

I think it should be within budget to go for something along the lines of:

Mac - Mac Pro 1x2.8GHz cpu, 500Gb hard drive, 2Gb RAM, latest Leopard 10.5.x OS, 64 bit system - @1750 Euros.
You can always get extra RAM and a 2nd CPU fitted later - if you can do it yourself you'll save a fortune over what Apple charge. Also, at a later date you could add an external hard drive - they're pretty cheap.

Plus 20'' display -@400Euros. You may already have a display that will work with a Mac - but check as from memory Macs use the digital video interface and not the analogue that most PC video display run on.

Audio interface - MBox 2 (4 ins/2 out USB interface. Ins include phantom powered XLR) - @350 Euros.
(Interface includes a copy of the Protools LE version 7 sequencer. MBox has a DI HiZ input so you can plug an electric guitar in to it and there's phantom power to the XLR input.) The MBox also comes with drivers for pc and ProTools LE sessions can be opened on Pro Tools and Protools HD systems (many pro recording studios use Pro Tools HD).

With the MBox and Pro Tools you may need an i-Loc usb key - they cost about 30Euros but try to get it included in the package.

Thats @ 2500Euros. What's left you could put towards a guitar amp emulator/microphone/headphones/monitors. For recording vocals look at getting a good condenser mic - something like a Rode NT1A is a good starter.

Any additional software, for now I'd look in to freeware/shareware for the Mac; afraid I'm not up on freeware/shareware for macs so can't help much here but you could look at the Mac version of Reaper. The MBox does also come with some additional software.

If you look around you may be able to get it as all in one package for less - prices here are really if you buy the bits separate.

If you don't want Pro Tools LE the other major Mac orientated package is Logic but MBox should integrate seamlessly with Pro Tools.

The only real downside of the MBox/LE as I see it is that LE is limited to 24 bit 48kHz and 32 track simultaneous recording. Having said that very few people would need more then these to be honest. You can also upgrade the LE to a full version of Pro Tools and you can get an extended version of the software package that comes with the MBox.

Internal vs external sound cards. It's partially personal preference. I prefer internal - for an external part of the price is the casing and some internal cards can pass data much better across the buss albeit most systems won't notice a difference between the two. (You only really notice it if you start running a lot of plug in effects and lots of recording channels all at once.) External has the big advantages of being easy to install and easy to move between different computers/locations. So unless you are 100% sure about only using a single computer in a fixed location then an external is probably best for you.

For a synth - think about getting a midi keyboard and using some software synths - see The Uncreator's recent thread (flagged on the GMC community news part of the main page yesterday/today) as Brett asked a very similar question. A really cheap midi keyboard starts at under 100Euros - they go up in price though to 1000Euros. For softsynths, there are loads available including some very good free/cheap ones - I like Green Oak's Crystal (free) and also Native Instruments do very cheap cut down versions of it's Rhodes Piano, SCs Prophet 5 and Yamaha DX7 synths.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tony

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Jun 13 2008, 04:20 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 13 2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks a lot Tony, that was really helpful! Now I think I can find my way in the jungle that is getting things for recording, I cannot thank you enough. I feel like I know a lot more now, and I actually think I'll be able to find something. Once again, thank you for taking the time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 13 2008, 10:39 PM
Hmm, I saw that you can get Locig Express quite cheap together with the computer when you buy a mac, is that a good program or is it really stripped down compared to Logic Pro?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 13 2008, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Besides everything that Tony (co nicely) put, I would add a Shure SM57 for micing the guitar amp. smile.gif Costs about 80$.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 17 2008, 07:24 PM
So, after trying to look around for what I might need, I think I've found out what I need.

Apart from the computer, I've thought about buying the following:

Digidesign Mbox 2
Shure SM57LC
A mic cable to connect the SM57 to the Mbox
Some headphones, probably the AKG K-171 Studio

Is it anything that I've forgotten? Even if it's just some cable I'll need, please tell me, because as I've mentioned, I'm a complete novice when it comes to this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 17 2008, 08:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thats sound fine to me mate wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 18 2008, 09:17 AM
Get the guys in the shop to 100% it - only things I can think of that you may need quickly are:

USB lead to attach the MBox - may be one supplied so get the shop to check wink.gif - and a couple of midi leads if you want to attach a midi keyboard. Mic stand and pop shield.

One thing - if you're getting the whole thing from a single shop then push for both some money off and try to get them to chuck in some free stuff - ie the leads, the mic stand, pop shield and maybe some free software.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:20 AM