Interesting
Phil66
Sep 1 2017, 09:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I found this interesting.

Maybe GMC could have a series of some 3 chord songs, Learn it the basic way first, (as his theoretical student does), then gradually develop and explain how the parts are developed from the chords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-T5CIXmV4

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 1 2017, 10:36 PM
GMC:er
It sounds like something Kris may be able to cover in Sunday Chats? I hope I'm not speaking for him too badly smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 1 2017, 04:19 PM) *
I found this interesting.

Maybe GMC could have a series of some 3 chord songs, Learn it the basic way first, (as his theoretical student does), then gradually develop and explain how the parts are developed from the chords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-T5CIXmV4

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2017, 10:51 PM
Nah,

I think a dedicated series of classic songs from busker to studio artist with a beginner to intermediate to advanced would be great and would teach students how to grow.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Sep 2 2017, 10:01 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 1 2017, 09:51 PM) *
I think a dedicated series of classic songs from busker to studio artist with a beginner to intermediate to advanced would be great and would teach students how to grow.

Very nice Phil! Yes, such lesson series would be a great idea as you could learn step by step and would have an ongoing plan where to go next.

Cheers Tom

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2017, 05:17 PM
It could be in the form of a workshop, learn the basic three chord strum then the teacher explains some simple embellishments, (maybe small parts from the song) then the student learns those embellishments and tries to create some of their own.

Each week the embellishments get more advanced until after, say, three months, the song has been explained and demonstrated as the original. The student then has all the nuts and bolts of the song even if they can't play it.

I think it could be a very good thing to help understand how these "simple" songs sound so good.

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2017, 06:56 PM
I'm sure Kris could create something like this for you smile.gif Have you tried to send him a personal message about this? Just in case he doesn't see this thread? I'd say hit him up directly and just ask smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 2 2017, 12:17 PM) *
It could be in the form of a workshop, learn the basic three chord strum then the teacher explains some simple embellishments, (maybe small parts from the song) then the student learns those embellishments and tries to create some of their own.

Each week the embellishments get more advanced until after, say, three months, the song has been explained and demonstrated as the original. The student then has all the nuts and bolts of the song even if they can't play it.

I think it could be a very good thing to help understand how these "simple" songs sound so good.

smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 2 2017, 08:38 PM
Xlnt video!

It's amazing what you'll hear on subsequent re-listens of a song once you know the basic chords and form.
I hear 'new stuff' in tunes that I've been listening to for 35 years laugh.gif

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 2 2017, 08:38 PM

+Quote Post
Tom51
Sep 3 2017, 09:52 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 2 2017, 04:17 PM) *

smile.gif

Putting this into a weekly workshop is even much better than a lesson! biggrin.gif I really like the idea of continuously working on it and making some progress.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2017, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I think so too. As we're all working on various things like collabs, technique, etc, I think the steps should be small enough to only need 20-30 minutes a day. Students that complete what the instructor shows them before the next week can develop their own things within the format and record them for others to hear..

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 2 2017, 06:56 PM) *
I'm sure Kris could create something like this for you smile.gif Have you tried to send him a personal message about this? Just in case he doesn't see this thread? I'd say hit him up directly and just ask smile.gif

Todd

Yes Todd, I've sent a PM, I'm not sure my messages are getting through though, I've sent a couple recently and got no reply. He's probably too busy at the moment wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 3 2017, 09:22 PM
He is a very busy guy to be sure smile.gif It sounds like you have a really good idea of how something like this should go, why don't you give it a shot on a simpler song in your own thread? I'm sure if it gets a good response that it will draw attention and get folks and Kris to take note smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 3 2017, 01:40 PM) *
Yeah, I think so too. As we're all working on various things like collabs, technique, etc, I think the steps should be small enough to only need 20-30 minutes a day. Students that complete what the instructor shows them before the next week can develop their own things within the format and record them for others to hear..

Yes Todd, I've sent a PM, I'm not sure my messages are getting through though, I've sent a couple recently and got no reply. He's probably too busy at the moment wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2017, 09:56 PM
Thing is I take a lot of Gab's time with my lessons already and I'm really trying to get to a pass level on THIS so I don't want to give him any more workload really.

I do really think it would be good for many students though. Even doing just a couple might show folks how to dissect a song once they know the basic chords or even show them how to come up with their own versions with their own signature on the song if that makes sense.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2017, 04:04 PM
Instructor
Hi guys! That's a very cool approach. I was talking with Phil that this can be learnt from my "in the style of..." rhythm lessons since I share the way the bands arrange their songs, but I always share the simple chord progression on screen and over backing tracks.

These are some examples:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Indie-...-Kings-Of-Leon/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Imagine-Dragons-Style/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Snow-Patrol/

You could play the simple version of this lessons by playing the chords shared on screen over the main video.

Let's see the first parts of one of Snow Patrol lesson. Check out the chords over the tabs, that would be the simple version.

Attached Image

If you get into the slower videos, you'll find explanations of what concepts are being used to convert those simple chords into those arrangements.

By the way, we could make a workout in which we can go deeper with this.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 9 2017, 06:12 PM
Thanks Gab,

As I said in our discussion I think "simple" three chord Stones style songs would be great. We could learn the "camp fire" version them simple embellishments on the first chord, then the second chord, then the third and get more advanced over the or more stages. A workshop would be great because students could share ideas and those that advance quicker could experiment and share different arrangements.

If it was a sticky, students could join at the beginning at any time.

The reason I think it would be good is that you very often hear people say what the chords are used but when you listen you can't hear them because they aren't playing the "camp fire" version. I often hear busker playing a song and can't identify the song until they actually sing.

I personally don't have time in my schedule to join in yet if a workshop is started but I would have a go in the future so feel free to start one of enough are interested.

Thanks for listening Gab smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2017, 10:30 PM
Further to the original idea in this thread, I think this is a great idea, keeping the same tune but advancing it. It kind of gives you something to build on using familiarity as your foundation.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Phil-Collen-Beginner/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Phil-C...n-Intermediate/ My comment on this lesson was "Great lesson Ben. Beyond me but I think it's a very good idea to do a more advanced version of an easier lesson. I think it should be something Kris looks at to adding lessons in levels 3, 6 and 9 or around those points or maybe even level 2, 4, 6 and 8. The reason I think it would be good is that it will show students how to build upon what they already know using the same foundation. I hope that makes sense."

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 3 2017, 09:04 AM
Learning Roadie
I think this is a good idea, we could even extend it to bass lines, and have a complete arrangement workshop.

It's one of the things that really makes a difference when recording songs and ideas to have interesting parts layered.

It's one of my favourite things to listen out for in songs, I think I like arrangements more than guitar solos!

For example listen to all the parts in this Avril Lavigne song

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2017, 12:16 PM
My last post immediately above yours was a different thing to my first post but I think it's kind of related. Maybe I should have put it in a separate post?

I still love the first idea though, even if I say so myself tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 3 2017, 12:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 3 2017, 05:07 PM
Learning Roadie
The first idea could be student run with just feedback from the instructors to take the workload away from them.

We agree on a chord progression and make a list of concepts to use over it

Pentatonic riffs
Arpeggios
double stops
counter melodies
etc

and then go away and see what we each come up with then get feedback from the instructors and each other

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2017, 05:31 PM
I was originally thinking of picking a song like I Can't Get No Satisfaction, learning it "busker style" as he does in the video with Brown Eyed Girl, then, in stages, learning how to do it properly.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 6 2017, 09:43 AM
Learning Roadie
I know when I was working with Gab he made me listen to a song I chose and map out what I heard in terms of arrangement.
That would be the 1st step. Working out an overview of what the guitars are doing. It doesn't have to be really detailed at first. Once you do that then you could break it down into chunks Intro, Verse 1, etc and then work out exactly what happens.

If you choose a song, we can work on it as a group effort if you like

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 6 2017, 12:30 PM
Thanks,

I don't really have time in my practice schedule at the moment. My initial post was a suggestion for Kris to look at for the whole of GMC, maybe as a kind of box set of classic "simple" songs working through maybe five lessons from busker style to close to the original.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:33 PM