Boy Band Metal? Lameness?
Todd Simpson
Aug 30 2012, 10:52 PM
GMC:er
Saw this and it does ring true a bit.

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 30 2012, 11:41 PM
That's funny. biggrin.gif I like them but I can see how pop has influenced quite a bit of main stream metal.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Aug 30 2012, 11:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I love Avenged Sevenfold but damn laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 31 2012, 12:38 AM
It has a ring of truth to it BUT you can never deny the amount of time Syn and Zacky have put in to be the Guitarists they are today!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 31 2012, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Hahaha.. I don't really know a lot about them so I can't judge them really.

Technically, any male music group could be a 'boy band' ??

Iron Maiden ? Megadeth ?? All male.... just sayin' tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 31 2012, 09:49 AM
I HATE such "metalish" combinations!!!
Metal should sound Powerfull and Epic using full Marshall stacks, not stompboxes !! \m/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 31 2012, 03:02 PM
Instructor
hahahaha I like the band! but the pic is funny. I have never related their "look" with their music. It was something that made me dislike them at first, but then I could avoid that prejudice.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 1 2012, 11:16 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 31 2012, 10:02 AM) *
hahahaha I like the band! but the pic is funny. I have never related their "look" with their music. It was something that made me dislike them at first, but then I could avoid that prejudice.

I actually like some of their stuff smile.gif But when I saw that pic it just nailed it. Take NSync or some lame boyband and add the metal pedal and double bass and you get bands like "Bullett for my Valentine" (I even like some of their stuff) and the million other bands that sorta sound really similar. I mean, metal has certain things that make it metal. But when some bits get a bit over ripe, it seems to lessen the breed.

I remember a while back, it seemed like wads of bands were doing the slipknot (I like some of their stuff too) thing where they'd have clean singing in the chorus, then death grunts in the verse. LIke, having a bit long chant along chorus then "were still metal darnit!" death grunts right after.

Five finger death punch comes to mind ( Sadly I even own a few tunes by them) and I do like these bands as I like a lot of bands. I do wish they would all maybe, well...pander a bit less? It's easy for me to say crap like that as I don't have to sell millions of records just to pay rent like they do. So it's not really fair. I get that.

I really think their fans would continue to support them though even if they pushed themselves musically and didn't have an obvious radio track on each CD.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 1 2012, 06:14 AM) *
I actually like some of their stuff smile.gif But when I saw that pic it just nailed it. Take NSync or some lame boyband and add the metal pedal and double bass and you get bands like "Bullett for my Valentine" (I even like some of their stuff) and the million other bands that sorta sound really similar. I mean, metal has certain things that make it metal. But when some bits get a bit over ripe, it seems to lessen the breed.

I remember a while back, it seemed like wads of bands were doing the slipknot (I like some of their stuff too) thing where they'd have clean singing in the chorus, then death grunts in the verse. LIke, having a bit long chant along chorus then "were still metal darnit!" death grunts right after.

Five finger death punch comes to mind ( Sadly I even own a few tunes by them) and I do like these bands as I like a lot of bands. I do wish they would all maybe, well...pander a bit less? It's easy for me to say crap like that as I don't have to sell millions of records just to pay rent like they do. So it's not really fair. I get that.

I really think their fans would continue to support them though even if they pushed themselves musically and didn't have an obvious radio track on each CD.

COME TO THINK OF IT! GREAT EXAMPLE OF HOW NOT TO SELL OUT!

Our very own instructor from BLIND GUARDIAN!!!!! There is exactly ZERO sell out in any Blind Guardian music. NONE. It's ALL BADASS. You don't see them trying to look or sound like Bullet for my valentine/Avenged Sevenfold/Killswitch Engage and they are LEGENDARY. Take a lesson, if you start a band, be more like Guardian and the world will be a better place!

Todd

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 1 2012, 12:05 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 1 2012, 10:16 AM) *
COME TO THINK OF IT! GREAT EXAMPLE OF HOW NOT TO SELL OUT!

Our very own instructor from BLIND GUARDIAN!!!!! There is exactly ZERO sell out in any Blind Guardian music. NONE. It's ALL BADASS. You don't see them trying to look or sound like Bullet for my valentine/Avenged Sevenfold/Killswitch Engage and they are LEGENDARY. Take a lesson, if you start a band, be more like Guardian and the world will be a better place!

Todd

If everybody would be great like Blind Guardian and less like CRAB-Core Bullet / Avenged/Killswitch , the world would be Poser FREE like in good ol' 80's!!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 1 2012, 12:07 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:24 AM