Cpu Speeds?
Todd Simpson
Apr 14 2018, 09:24 PM
GMC:er
Just out of curiosity, what sort of CPUs are you guys running? As I've mentioned many times, I'm on a quad i7 2.3ghz that boosts to 3.3ghz under load (heavy use e.g. rendering) and 16GB ram /NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB. What sort of CPU / RAM combos are you guys running?

Also, do you ever think "man, my rig feels too slow". I always think this while rendering video. Exporting music is usually very quick and never an issue. Is there any part of your production process that makes you want to pull your hair out? I know a few folks do 3D rendering which is like watching paint dry in Hell. I've been there smile.gif I used to work in 3D and the render was the worst part.

Anyone running big iron? 8 core? 12 core? 16 core? Not virtual, but real cores?

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
fzalfa
Apr 15 2018, 10:56 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

i run a dual XEON E5 3.7Ghz 8 cores with HT, 32Gb and Nvidia Quadro M4000.

Cheers

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 15 2018, 10:18 PM
That should do it!!! The XEON is what later got "rebranded" as the i7. What really chaps my pants is that Intel started making just one chip for i3, i5, i7 and they just cripple the features in order to make the i7 chip in to an i5 or i3. It's cheaper just to make the higher end i7 and then basically break it to create stratification in the product line.

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 15 2018, 05:56 AM) *
Hi Todd

i run a dual XEON E5 3.7Ghz 8 cores with HT, 32Gb and Nvidia Quadro M4000.

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 15 2018, 10:22 PM
Learning Roadie
the xeon version of the same generation have twice memory bandwith than the i7 / i9 core..... larger cache too

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 16 2018, 02:19 AM
nice!!!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 15 2018, 05:22 PM) *
the xeon version of the same generation have twice memory bandwith than the i7 / i9 core..... larger cache too

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 16 2018, 02:51 AM
I would lose myself in video games if I ever built a decent machine. I have no control whatsoever.
That's why I don't. biggrin.gif

But I think I have a couple I5 and I7, maybe one or two I9 laying around my dad's shop.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 16 2018, 02:51 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 16 2018, 04:23 AM
The extreme edition of the i9 chip runs almost $2,000, just for the chip!! Ouch. Fast though smile.gif The mobile version doesn't even
seem to have a price yet. 6 cores is sure spiff though.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/pro...processors.html

My laptop is a 2012 and it still benchmarks with current shipping laptops. I'm just thrilled it's lasted this long and still can roughly hold it's own. I really hate that the new macbooks are heading toward soldering everything to the motherboard, but that's life I guess. One of my macbook pros (a 2011) had the battery explode and it wrecked the entire machine. Uggh. I did pull the ram and ssd drive. I hate having just one machine though. I like having a backup, in general. So I am looking to get something as a backup machine. A mac, of course. Something that can edit video/audio etc. Maybe a mac mini or imac, from a few years back that will still let you upgrade the ram smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 15 2018, 09:51 PM) *
I would lose myself in video games if I ever built a decent machine. I have no control whatsoever.
That's why I don't. biggrin.gif

But I think I have a couple I5 and I7, maybe one or two I9 laying around my dad's shop.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:32 AM