2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ak Rich Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Jun 17 2012, 10:58 PM
Instructor
Hello! I am very excited to start working with you!
We will concentrate on improvisation and theory! This program is based on playing back and forth like collab but one on one so that's what we will be doing a lot and I will be explaining new things as we go along!
I have a few questions for you! It will give me a better idea about your other goals and styles you like!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 18 2012, 12:32 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
well lets see.....

Goals: I guess I would have to say I would like to be able to improvize as well as develop interesting melodic lines and chord progressions over as many types of styles as I can, kind of like a session player I guess.

Weakness: Perhaps lacking the theory to fully use and understand all the scales and musical techniques available to become a more well rounded musician.

Strong point:I guess that would have to be that I can usually pick up on new things fairly quickly and incorporate them into my own playing. when I discover something new that grabs my interest I can usually progress at it fairly quickly, not just in music but in most things I have tried to tackle.

Fav Guitar players: Well that list is long smile.gif Older influences would be guys like Jimmy Page , Jeff Beck, Clapton , Gilmore, Santana, Robin Trower, Hendrix,Frank Zappa, EVH and Blackmore, probably left out a few wink.gif Newer influences would be guys like Randy Rhoads, Satch, Via, Howe, Gambale, Eric Johnson,SRV, Dimebag,etc etc the list goes on, Basically blues based rock and even some harder metalish type stuff I guess. I am sure there are more influence that I failed to mention. smile.gif

Thanks Alex, Rich...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 19 2012, 07:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 17 2012, 11:32 PM) *
well lets see.....

Goals: I guess I would have to say I would like to be able to improvize as well as develop interesting melodic lines and chord progressions over as many types of styles as I can, kind of like a session player I guess.

Weakness: Perhaps lacking the theory to fully use and understand all the scales and musical techniques available to become a more well rounded musician.

Strong point:I guess that would have to be that I can usually pick up on new things fairly quickly and incorporate them into my own playing. when I discover something new that grabs my interest I can usually progress at it fairly quickly, not just in music but in most things I have tried to tackle.

Fav Guitar players: Well that list is long smile.gif Older influences would be guys like Jimmy Page , Jeff Beck, Clapton , Gilmore, Santana, Robin Trower, Hendrix,Frank Zappa, EVH and Blackmore, probably left out a few wink.gif Newer influences would be guys like Randy Rhoads, Satch, Via, Howe, Gambale, Eric Johnson,SRV, Dimebag,etc etc the list goes on, Basically blues based rock and even some harder metalish type stuff I guess. I am sure there are more influence that I failed to mention. smile.gif

Thanks Alex, Rich...

Awesome! So let's start than:)
I have prepared the track with my solo in it to give you ideas!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/ak-rich
This is a typical II -V - I progression in E minor
So the chords are:
Emi7 - A7 - Dmaj7
I would like you to add the next part! smile.gif
Please use:
Over E mi7 E dorian

Over A7
You can use A minor pentatonic or A major arpeggio (I did arpeggio in my take)

Over Dmaj7 use B minor pentatonic

Record your take after mine and leave the rest of the backing track playing so I can add the next solo after you!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 22 2012, 07:44 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hey Alex.

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner man smile.gif . I downloaded the track today and played with it a bit, I havent improvised a whole lot over a
2- 5-1 progression and definately havent recorded anything so this will be fun smile.gif I'll try and get something recorded this weeked.

Thanks! Rich...

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 22 2012, 08:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 22 2012, 06:44 AM) *
Hey Alex.

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner man smile.gif . I downloaded the track today and played with it a bit, I havent improvised a whole lot over a
2- 5-1 progression and definately havent recorded anything so this will be fun smile.gif I'll try and get something recorded this weeked.

Thanks! Rich...

Sounds perfect! I am looking forward to hear your take! smile.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 26 2012, 11:32 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Here ya go Alex! I havent had alot of practice time lately so the timing is a bit sketchy especially at the end. Tag you're it! tongue.gif

[attachment=27986:AK_Rich1.wav]

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 27 2012, 04:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 26 2012, 10:32 PM) *
Here ya go Alex! I havent had alot of practice time lately so the timing is a bit sketchy especially at the end. Tag you're it! tongue.gif

[attachment=27986:AK_Rich1.wav]

You did a very good job! I like your ideas and some licks very just perfect! I would suggest to turn down distortion and work on dynamic a little bit more!
Also since it's just a beginning of the song try to keep it less busy and leave some space so the track can breathe!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 27 2012, 06:39 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 26 2012, 07:57 PM) *
You did a very good job! I like your ideas and some licks very just perfect! I would suggest to turn down distortion and work on dynamic a little bit more!
Also since it's just a beginning of the song try to keep it less busy and leave some space so the track can breathe!

Hey Alex!

Thanks alot man! :)This is fun! And I understand what you mean by the tone, it's definanately a bit much for this track,( dry.gif yuck ) I'll tame it down and clean it up , or just try another another one alltogether. And as for the being too busy , I get that too, especially the last penta run. In hindsight I definately wish I would have broken that up and tried to be a bit more creative there. I blame Red Bull laugh.gif just kidding. Thanks for the good advice man!

Awaiting further instruction smile.gif Rich...

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 27 2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 27 2012, 05:39 AM) *
Hey Alex!

Thanks alot man! :)This is fun! And I understand what you mean by the tone, it's definanately a bit much for this track,( dry.gif yuck ) I'll tame it down and clean it up , or just try another another one alltogether. And as for the being too busy , I get that too, especially the last penta run. In hindsight I definately wish I would have broken that up and tried to be a bit more creative there. I blame Red Bull laugh.gif just kidding. Thanks for the good advice man!

Take your time! there is no rush! smile.gif
Dynamic is the key to a good improvisation! It gets listeners attention right away! Next time you play a show or just jam with someone try to put dynamic into your playing and watch people reaction! You will be surprised! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 1 2012, 02:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 27 2012, 05:39 AM) *
Hey Alex!

Just wanted to check and see how are you doing! Let me know if you have any questions!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 1 2012, 03:23 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 30 2012, 05:14 PM) *
Just wanted to check and see how are you doing! Let me know if you have any questions!

Oh sorry Alex was I supposed to re-record that take? I guess I thought we were moving on and I would make adjustments but I can redo it if you like. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 2 2012, 06:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 1 2012, 02:23 AM) *
Oh sorry Alex was I supposed to re-record that take? I guess I thought we were moving on and I would make adjustments but I can redo it if you like. smile.gif

If you can redo it would be great! I just want to make sure that the program going smoothly and once you will get it right we don't have to go back and can keep moving! You are a very good musician so I don't think it will take too long and no worries we will keep it moving!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 2 2012, 10:11 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 1 2012, 09:29 PM) *
If you can redo it would be great! I just want to make sure that the program going smoothly and once you will get it right we don't have to go back and can keep moving! You are a very good musician so I don't think it will take too long and no worries we will keep it moving!

Ok Alex maybe this one is better suited for the backing , I still dont know if I have found the tone I want to settle with tho rolleyes.gif
Thanks alot for the kind words! smile.gif
[attachment=28047:AK_Rich1.1.mp3]

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jul 2 2012, 10:13 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 2 2012, 08:47 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 2 2012, 01:11 AM) *
Ok Alex maybe this one is better suited for the backing , I still dont know if I have found the tone I want to settle with tho rolleyes.gif
Thanks alot for the kind words! smile.gif
[attachment=28047:AK_Rich1.1.mp3]

Or maybe this one is better? tongue.gif

[attachment=28050:AK_Rich1.2b.mp3]

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 3 2012, 06:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 2 2012, 07:47 PM) *
Or maybe this one is better? tongue.gif

[attachment=28050:AK_Rich1.2b.mp3]

I like the first one better it sounds more clear to me! I like what you have played great job!! Very nice and melodic! I will add a new track and assignment in a couple of hours!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 3 2012, 07:27 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 2 2012, 09:39 PM) *
I like the first one better it sounds more clear to me! I like what you have played great job!! Very nice and melodic! I will add a new track and assignment in a couple of hours!

The first one it is then! cool.gif wow in a couple of hours? You are a busy man Alex! I have seen your long list of mentorees. smile.gif Great work man and thanks again for the compliments,they are very much appreciated. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 3 2012, 03:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 3 2012, 06:27 AM) *
The first one it is then! cool.gif wow in a couple of hours? You are a busy man Alex! I have seen your long list of mentorees. smile.gif Great work man and thanks again for the compliments,they are very much appreciated. smile.gif

I would like to change a backing track and add more challenging one! smile.gif
This one has chord changes!
C6, Am9, Dm9, G11, C, Am7, Bm7, D7, G6, G6, F#m7, B9, E, G7#5.
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/jazzy

Let's work on this chord progression If we will analyze the first three chords we will get this:
C6 - C - E - G - A
Ami9 - A - C - E - G - B
Dmi9 - D - F - A - C - E
You can play C major scale over it
or A minor, D minor, E minor pentatonics

I would like you to analyze the rest of the chords we are going diatonic only so no melodic or harmonic minor yet!
But we will be using this track for those as well!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 3 2012, 06:38 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 3 2012, 06:46 AM) *
I would like to change a backing track and add more challenging one! smile.gif
This one has chord changes!
C6, Am9, Dm9, G11, C, Am7, Bm7, D7, G6, G6, F#m7, B9, E, G7#5.
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/jazzy

Let's work on this chord progression If we will analyze the first three chords we will get this:
C6 - C - E - G - A
Ami9 - A - C - E - G - B
Dmi9 - D - F - A - C - E
You can play C major scale over it
or A minor, D minor, E minor pentatonics

I would like you to analyze the rest of the chords we are going diatonic only so no melodic or harmonic minor yet!
But we will be using this track for those as well!

Whoa huh.gif I had a feeling I was about to be reduced to begginer status lol, Time to put the thinking cap on I see, This progression is definately going to get me out of my comfort zone. this will be challenging smile.gif Thanks Alex!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 4 2012, 02:16 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 3 2012, 09:38 AM) *
Whoa huh.gif I had a feeling I was about to be reduced to begginer status lol, Time to put the thinking cap on I see, This progression is definately going to get me out of my comfort zone. this will be challenging smile.gif Thanks Alex!

Ok lets see if I got the notes right, I started wondering when I came upon the D7 chord. anyways here goes.
you did:
C6 - C - E - G - A

Ami9 - A - C - E - G - B

Dmi9 - D - F - A - C - E

so that leaves
G11 - G - B - D - F - A - C

C - C - E - G

Am7 - A - C - E - G

Bm7 - B - D - F - A

D7 - D - F# - A - C ? Key change? From C maj to Gmaj?

F#m7 - F# - A - C - E

B9 - B - D# - F# - A - C# ? Key change? From Gmaj to Emaj?

E - E - G# - B

G7#5 - G - B - D# - F# ?

I dont think I am sure of whats going on here in this progression unsure.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 4 2012, 06:00 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
oops I seem to have left out the G6

G6 - G - B - D - E

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:11 AM