5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Ibanez 2550e
Rating 5 V
Pavel
Aug 21 2007, 09:57 PM
Instructor
That's the right image for the dark Side we endorse biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif JEMs, milk and cookies! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 21 2007, 10:18 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 21 2007, 04:57 PM) *
That's the right image for the dark Side we endorse biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif JEMs, milk and cookies! laugh.gif

Ok, got it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 22 2007, 06:28 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 21 2007, 05:13 AM) *
If you only knew the power of the dark side ...
It needs to be respected but with a few simple rules you can make it painless.

1. Make sure the shop sets it up for your brand and gauge of strings before they ship it or you pick it up (sweetwater did this for me for free!)

2. When Changing strings use the same brand and gauge - this means no real tremelo adjustment. If you do change strings, all bets are off, it sin;t hard to do but readjusting will be a time consuming circular chore.

3. When changing strings either just change one at a time, or wedge the tremelo with a block of wood or something

My first string change took me about 20 - 30 minutes as opposed to 10 - 15 on a regular guitar. I would expect to get it down to the same range using the one at a time method.

That's it really smile.gif
Between the same guitar with a fixed bridge? Don't know - but the floyd is a big part of the Ibanez appeal, you can learn lots of new tricks so I wouldn;t worry about it. I would say that regular tremelos can reduce sustain, but I don't know if that is true for Floyds, in any case my Jem has bags of sustain smile.gif
These days not a lot. A thru neck is supposed to help with sustain but these days set and bolt on necks are pretty good, and I don;t believe this is really a factor - I asked the same question and eventually discounted it as there was no clear gain for the price and people disagreed over whether it even helped.

So thats about it - go for it!

Thanks for all the info Andrew smile.gif

I've narrowed my choices to the Prestige RG1570 and RG2550e. I have a price hunt going on right now for the best deal so we'll see which one wins out. Both these models have the edge pro so at least I don't have to cut anything. This has eased my tensions a bit...but I may have all kinds of questions later. I know there is some FR questions on the forum so I'll do a bit of hunting.

That's the right image for the dark Side we endorse JEMs, milk and cookies!

It just keeps getting better laugh.gif

Thanks again to Haas1mj and Stratman58 for their reviews of the above mentioned guitars. They helped me a lot when trying to choose. I'll let ya know which guitar I get.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Aug 22 2007, 06:30 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 22 2007, 06:32 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 22 2007, 01:28 AM) *
Thanks for all the info Andrew smile.gif

I've narrowed my choices to the Prestige RG1570 and RG2550e.

Great Choice - 2550e was my pick before I decided to go for a Jem smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 22 2007, 06:40 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 22 2007, 02:32 AM) *
Great Choice - 2550e was my pick before I decided to go for a Jem smile.gif

Yeah it's a pretty sweet guitar. Haas1mj's review helped me a great deal.

There is only like $200.00 in the price difference (give or take) and that has to do with the different pick ups and probably a little bit on the inlays. But right now I think I'm gonna go with whichever one I get the better deal on. I can always upgrade later.

+Quote Post
GodofFire16
Aug 22 2007, 06:53 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 21 2007, 11:28 PM) *
I've narrowed my choices to the Prestige RG1570 and RG2550e.

Me too! Do let us know once you've made your purchase cool.gif

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 22 2007, 07:05 AM
Well I am thinking of an getting an ibanez, or a strat, dont know yet, perhaps i will buy both. But not until January next year, i have spent about $5000 on guitars this year

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 22 2007, 07:28 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 22 2007, 03:05 AM) *
Well I am thinking of an getting an ibanez, or a strat, dont know yet, perhaps i will buy both. But not until January next year, i have spent about $5000 on guitars this year

I went out specifically wanting a Strat and now I'm getting an Ibanez. I'll eventually get the Strat but the Ibanez is the better fit for what I want right now. I'm like you though...I've spent a lot of cash on guitar related items this year it's getting hard to justify spending more...to the boyfriend I mean...I'd keep spending if i could. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
BubbaJ
Aug 30 2007, 12:42 PM
Can you buy a pickguard from an rg350ex and fit in this one or would that not work?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Aug 30 2007, 12:58 PM
Ibanez JEMs AND cookies?! Goodbye, light side...

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 30 2007, 01:51 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 21 2007, 12:20 AM) *
2nd that
Ibanez guitars have no soul. Everything on them is so perfect but they have no character, they sound like plastic!

1. Yes I played the 2550e AND the Jem on Quality Amps dry.gif
2. Yes everybody is going to hate me blink.gif
3. No I will not change my mind on the sound question mad.gif

I agree with you. Never assume that the herd is moving in a sensible direction. It also is pointless to argue with the herd, even if they are headed off a cliff. They just trample you, and then maybe poop on you to boot. Best to just let them go their way and you go yours.

edit: I replaced a word that might not make it by the censor with one that had a better chance.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 30 2007, 02:04 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 30 2007, 08:25 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 30 2007, 08:51 AM) *
edit: I replaced a word that might not make it by the censor with one that had a better chance.

And the Ibanez playing censor-er is duly grateful smile.gif

Word of defense for Ibanez from a herd member -

They do what they do very well, and what they do is what happends to be a focus for a lot of people on this site, e.g. shredding. However, I have a strat and a Variax, I will definately get a LP one day so I can pick the right guitar for the job. I woudn't use an Ibanez for blues or Jazz if I had an LP or Hollowbody, but if I am shredding, Ibanez it is!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 30 2007, 08:31 PM
Instructor
I bet you can play Blues on Ibanez just as Satch does. It depends on HOW you play and how good you control the guitar.

This post has been edited by Pavel: Aug 30 2007, 08:32 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 30 2007, 11:15 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 30 2007, 09:31 PM) *
I bet you can play Blues on Ibanez just as Satch does. It depends on HOW you play and how good you control the guitar.

I can't compare with Satch, obviously, but I've tried all variations with my two bands and my conclusions (humbly stating that it's not facts) were that the Ibanez fits better for the DT band - I can of course use it for blues and rock but playing the same things on my LP sound SOOOOOOOO much better, while the LP doesn't right cut it for DT.

The characteristics of a guitar is just there, you can't hide it with pedals and such but instead the characteristics should be brought up front and used for the purpose to fit the sound so what's being played.
Hence I use the LP with it's characteristics for blues, rock and hard rock. Ibanez for modern metal. The Charvel is still under construction (getting Breed pu's) and hopefully it will fit the DT sound, then I might move those pu's to the Ibanez and make an 80's metal axe out of the Charvel.

+Quote Post
Davidian
Aug 31 2007, 04:03 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think I'm half a member of the Dark Side. I have an Ibanez, but it isn't a JEM. It's a Flying V. I hope that counts too?

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 31 2007, 04:13 AM
QUOTE (Davidian @ Aug 30 2007, 11:03 PM) *
I think I'm half a member of the Dark Side. I have an Ibanez, but it isn't a JEM. It's a Flying V. I hope that counts too?

You're currently on the grey side, but you can smell the milk and cookies smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 31 2007, 04:31 AM
Instructor
Hahahaha i thought the Dark Side welcomes all Ibanez owners!! Ok, now when Andrew is the eldest Dark Side member i have to listen to him biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 31 2007, 04:48 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
the emperor...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 31 2007, 06:20 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 30 2007, 11:31 PM) *
Hahahaha i thought the Dark Side welcomes all Ibanez owners!! Ok, now when Andrew is the eldest Dark Side member i have to listen to him biggrin.gif

I am the elder, but I humbled by your words ... yea, all Ibanez owners, be they Jem, RD350X or Flying Vs are welcome!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 31 2007, 07:23 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 30 2007, 02:31 PM) *

Of course you can. My only issue with that, might be on sustain. Blues can get pretty slow at times. That is the price you pay for the slim necks, tapered bodies, and deep cutaways.

edit: I am not being critical here. I have a Firebird and love it. However, if I play something slow, it does not work because it does not have the sustain of the Paul. The notes won't hold long enough, especially on the 3rd string at the top. It might be just one note or two that don't make it, but they don't make it. But on the Paul, they make it. Especially on my 58. I think the long tenon and the big heavy neck give you more sustain, it definitely does over my les paul studio.

edit: if anyone is curious, the long neck tenon joint extends far into the body for added sustain. This feature is found on the original 1950s Les Pauls and current Historics.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 31 2007, 07:34 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:13 PM