Pod Xt Vs Pod Xt Live, need advice
Hungus
Sep 20 2007, 07:41 PM
GMC:er
Alright so I decided the other day that I wanted to buy a Pod XT because they seem like pretty sweet little devices and my Zoom 1010 just doesnt cut it. I was just going to go for the Pod XT but about 20 minutes ago I was browsing musiciansfriend and noticed that they had a fairly decent discount on the live version... Basically I was just wondering if someone could tell me if there was any difference in them (other than obviously all the pedals and such) and if it is worth the extra 100 bucks to get the live version. I was expecting to pay about 500 bucks for the Pod XT but now I see that it is 400 bucks and the Live is 500 so I am thinking should I try and save $100 and get the normal XT or spend the $100 more and get the live version, the actual price doesnt bother me I am just more concerned about the VALUE of the extra features (I am assuming the live has nothing less in any areas). So if you guys could just share your opinions based on persional experience I would be very grateful.

P.S.
I am talking in NZD, but that doesnt matter so much as I am just thinking in differences.
Also if you could avoid posting links to the line 6 website I would appreciate it as I am after your fine opinions smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 20 2007, 07:58 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm not 100%, I don't have either but just deducing that it says "The Line 6 POD XT Live Pedal is the POD XT in footcontroller form." I would assume they mean that it has all of the features of the XT but the switching is probably easier, good for live. You can still record with the USB in out etc, they look more or less the same to me.

You can use the regular XT when gigging I'm pretty sure, so it basically comes down to if you want it in pedal board fashion or if you're fine with changing sounds by hand on the XT.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Sep 20 2007, 07:59 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 20 2007, 08:08 PM
Oh I thought there might be abit more... but it does look cooler and alot more convienent in pedal form. main thing I was concerned about was value really... I dont want to feel like I had wasted 100 bucks down the line.

Also I doubt I will be gigging anytime soon, but the XT looks kinda gay tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Goliath
Sep 20 2007, 08:22 PM
Another bit of value you might consider is that the Live has a manual wah pedal that can also act as a volume pedal (when Wah is off). If you don't need a volume or wah pedal, then this probably doesn't matter to you though tongue.gif But you were looking for value, and there is a little bit of value

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 20 2007, 08:33 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Another bit which may be important Hungus is if you gig it how rugged the unit is. The XTlive is supposed to be built for live use and so should be more rugged and more likely survive. Also the podlive would naturally sit on the floor - with the podXt I can only see it sitting on top an amp or cab and I'd worry about the chance of it getting knocked off in mid solo and either breaking or even just the power lead pulling out.

If you're not going to gig it then the XT but maybe with a floor controller
pedal?

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 20 2007, 09:17 PM
Cheers for your input Tony. The only reason I say I wont be giging anytime soon is because I have only been playing 3 months lol! I am worried about the standard XT being alittle weak too as its just like a little bean. Also I havent really owned other effects units execpt my zoom 1010 so I dont really know how much more convienent having all these pedals would be, Although I do think Wah is awesome so having that would deffinitly be a bonus.

You guys are deffinitly doing a good job of convincing me to spend the extra cash lol (I am easily convinceable too)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 20 2007, 09:23 PM
Instructor
I use the POD XT Live in my home because I can control all the presets with my feet, and it is very usefull for me.
So, if you want to have a pedal to control the efects buy the XT Live, if you don't need it buy the XT...

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 20 2007, 09:46 PM
The above stated is true, but the pro's of the XT is: It's small and uses no floorspace. If your space is limited this is not negligable. Less wires and no board to trip over and pull down stuff with. The board is pretty big to have laying around in a small room. Add guitars, amps and wires to that... it's crowded even when noone is in the room.

edit: wasn't supposed to quote anybody.

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Sep 20 2007, 09:46 PM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 20 2007, 10:07 PM
Floor space deffinitly isnt a problem for me.... I have a room almost the size of 2 flat rooms lol!

The odds are deffinitly stacking up against the standard XT.... I honestly did think there would be more to the live though...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 21 2007, 01:31 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hungus @ Sep 20 2007, 05:07 PM) *
Floor space deffinitly isnt a problem for me.... I have a room almost the size of 2 flat rooms lol!

The odds are deffinitly stacking up against the standard XT.... I honestly did think there would be more to the live though...

ANother nail in the coffin - the XTL has output modelling as well so you can plug it into PAs and different types of guitar amp and still get the right sound.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 21 2007, 11:03 AM
Cool, I was wondering if you were going to add anything Andrew smile.gif
I dont really know what output modelling is though....

I just watched a video on the XT Live and it turns out it actually comes with an extra 30 effects from the effects junkie pack.

I am deffinitly sold on the Live version now I think, going to order it tonight if I get the chance!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Sep 21 2007, 11:07 AM
QUOTE (Hungus @ Sep 21 2007, 03:03 AM) *
Cool, I was wondering if you were going to add anything Andrew smile.gif
I dont really know what output modelling is though....

I just watched a video on the XT Live and it turns out it actually comes with an extra 30 effects from the effects junkie pack.

I am deffinitly sold on the Live version now I think, going to order it tonight if I get the chance!

Line 6 will be realsing PodX3 and PodX3 live soon. You might want to hold off until that comes out.

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 21 2007, 11:18 AM
QUOTE (Soul_Decision @ Sep 21 2007, 10:07 PM) *
Line 6 will be realsing PodX3 and PodX3 live soon. You might want to hold off until that comes out.

Interesting... but I probably couldnt afford it.

Also I just discovered that musiciansfriend doesnt ship outside north america which is pretty rubbish!

Does anyone know of an online store with competetive prices that ships worldwide?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 21 2007, 02:50 PM
Alright so I have spent the last couple of hours painfuly searching for an online store which ships internationally and im not really having all that much luck. I have discovered that most stores assume everyone lives in north america but dont bother even letting you know till you get to the very last stage and try to actually check out! and one I found even wanted 100 bucks to ship internationally!!!!
The only NZ store was complete rubbish too was they wanted something like 300-400 bucks more than everyone else was charging.

I did find a couple of stores though so if you guys could share your thoughts on them that would be greatly appreciated.

The 1st one I found was JR.com which appears to ship internationally as a secondary option but considering they list their national shipping cost as $20 I wouldnt be suprised if they tryed to scam me on shipping also, I will be emailing them later though.

The 2nd was Amazon.com which seems like it could be an alright option although Im not really sure how much I can trust those kind of sites. Also I cant see the shipping costs untill I sign up which I will be doing later, Hopefuly they dont fill my inbox with junk mail...

The last option I found was music123.com which appears to give free international shipping... chances are they have some stupid condition and I wont be able to get that anyway though. The good news though is that they actually have an option to ship it to 'New Zealand'

I have a major head ache now and I feel like hurting something. I wish this were medieval times so I could just go out and mace some one in the face... but I guess then I wouldnt feel the need as I wouldnt be so pissed about trying to buy an effects unit :|

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 21 2007, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (Hungus @ Sep 21 2007, 09:50 AM) *
I wish this were medieval times so I could just go out and mace some one in the face... but I guess then I wouldnt feel the need as I wouldnt be so pissed about trying to buy an effects unit :|

laugh.gif laugh.gif

The output modelling is so that you can plug your pod into different ajmp types - it comensates for the variations in tone between a PA whcih is essentially clean, nd a guitar amp which colours the sound in a specific way. The output modelling in theory cancels this out so it should sound the same through any out put as long as you select the right output type.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 21 2007, 06:51 PM
Cool thanks for explaining Andrew, That helped alot. Deffinitly good news to hear as I have a tube amp only so I was abit worried about it not sounding quite how it should after reading some other posts about the Pod...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The-Levy
Sep 22 2007, 10:11 AM
Lots of Pod Xt fans here. Yes it is a good unit, buy the Live you wont regret it. You can choose to set it up as after mixer or before mixer. Do I make sense? Well, you can also get a variax guitar and have some fun modeling guitars but that would never replace my faithfull axe laugh.gif

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Sep 23 2007, 07:41 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 21 2007, 06:36 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif

The output modelling is so that you can plug your pod into different ajmp types - it comensates for the variations in tone between a PA whcih is essentially clean, nd a guitar amp which colours the sound in a specific way. The output modelling in theory cancels this out so it should sound the same through any out put as long as you select the right output type.

Is that really how it works? Isn't that output modelling for getting the sound as if you were plugged in through a cab when you're going through PA? and isn't it on all PODs?

+Quote Post
Goliath
Sep 23 2007, 09:31 AM
QUOTE (KRmachine @ Sep 23 2007, 07:41 AM) *
Is that really how it works? Isn't that output modelling for getting the sound as if you were plugged in through a cab when you're going through PA? and isn't it on all PODs?

The output modeling is for recording, if you're modeling a cab and recording then you can have one of 4 different microphones to "pick up" the sound of the cab. If you're going out to a PA, then it gets rid of the added "microphone" level and would be modeling the head FX and cab. Or if you're just playing with phones.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 23 2007, 11:49 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Sep 23 2007, 04:31 AM) *
The output modeling is for recording, if you're modeling a cab and recording then you can have one of 4 different microphones to "pick up" the sound of the cab. If you're going out to a PA, then it gets rid of the added "microphone" level and would be modeling the head FX and cab. Or if you're just playing with phones.

NO, we're all getting confused here!!!

There are several types of modelling going n:

1. Amp modelling - the sound of a Marshall or Vox without really having one
2. The sound of recording that with a modelled mic in a modelled room

The above give you the basic sound and all pods have it to some extent. They are designed to be played through clean amps so that the modelling isn;t adde3d to by a REAL guitar amp.

For the XT Live you have:

3. Output Modelling (its called something else). This makes up for the fact that you may not be playing it thtrough as PA, you may in fact be playing it through a guitar amp, which would sound wierd given thatit is optimized for a clean amp. The output modelling attempts to compensate for this by changing things yet again ....

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:01 PM