Darius Vs Old Pc War Won :), low cost tips
Darius Wave
Jan 28 2014, 08:09 PM
Instructor
Some of you know I decided to keep my old PC in use ( AMD Athlon X2, 2 GB RAM...nothing fancy). I wanted to make a living room "movies, writting, web searching" machine out of it. The reason it went out of use for recording was it's insane loudness and not enough performance for new era software. Last few days I spent on experiments and research. Now it's quiet as hell and even usefull for recordings smile.gif

What I did was:

1. Cleaning (no surprise for anyone)
2. Removing graphic card .Most of PCs have enough built-in video card performance to handle PC that's not for games but only for music. BTW graphic card is one of the loudest devices in PC. Even after cleaning and changing the thermal grease it was way to loud. Oiling the fan also gave no results
3. New fan and new termal grease for CPU. Even after cleaning and oiling old fan was too loud. I bought waaaaay cheap new fan - the same size and quality as stock one...but...You know...it's new wink.gif It really worked and the cost was around 5 $
4. I made an acoustic isolation with acoustic foam on both sides (PC side covers)

Cost of all operation was insanely low and IT WORKS!

It's worth rethinking to buy even old PC but prepared and separated especially for recording purpose. Old stuff like my old PC is now more than cheap and it still works perfect with most of DAWs. Also...as an opposite to the laptops it works perfect with firewire audio interfaces which are currently low cost as well.

You can make Your own low cost recording device that could surprise You with it's performance for audio recording and keep You main "pomped out" laptop for gaming wink.gif

Worth trying

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Jan 28 2014, 08:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jouve
Jan 28 2014, 08:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Congratulations.
I think steps 2 and 3 were the most important. My previous version of laptop was very loud, and got dirty very fast. So I searched web for some new case, got rid of my graphic card (it also had some agressive cooling fan), and took fan from my brother's media server. And now it is very nice, no nasty hum at all.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jouve: Jan 28 2014, 08:42 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 28 2014, 08:52 PM
GMC:er
Lol! biggrin.gif

This reminded me, a while ago I was lurking in audiophile forums and noticed those guys started to buy and modify old computers (desk or laptop, they're also called shuttles I believe) specifically for music listening smile.gif old was preferred cause they were cheap, powerful enough to play any quality of sampling and best of all were easy to make silent since heat was a lesser issue smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Jan 28 2014, 10:10 PM
Instructor
I told you - you're The Inventive Dobromir smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 29 2014, 12:08 AM
Instructor
not that inventive ;p it's much easier when you can mess with the comuter that IS NOT your basic work tool and nothing wil happen if You make it useless for a week ;P I couldn't did the same when it was in constant use. Also couldn't remove the graphics cause it was video editor as well. But...now I can make a mobile studio of it tongue.gif I'm not a fan of laptops. Most of their profits are related only to being mobile...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:35 AM